State Finals 4A Booker T. Washington Vs. Raines

DisabledAccount

This game is crazy.  I hate to sound so negative here but I am going to call it like I am clearly seeing it.....Raines is slaughtering BTW in the stat sheet - but only up 10 - 7 at Halftime

.  BTW has 5 (FIVE) turnovers and there only score was a pick 6.  They might have 1 first down in the half alone .  

Defensively BTW has 4 (FOUR) Goal Line Stands!   So the BTW Defense is playing great inside the Red Zone , but the Offense is playing horrendous overall.  The play Offensive play calling on Raines is pathetic.  It look's like something that we all drew up in the sand or street when we were 10 years old.  The kicker for Raines made a 25 yarder and PAT but kicks straight on and with his toe.  It looks like he is kicking a 4 square rubber kickball.  Whatever works I guess....

Raines looks like the better overall team but will likely get out-coached in a close one.  With all due respect , neither of these teams look like state champion caliber teams.

I agree with everything you said. Sloppy game for both teams.

Booker T now up 14-10. 

First off, congratulations BTW on the win and another state championship.  However, in my opinion that might have been the poorest coached Florida 4A State Championship I have ever witnessed.  I don't know where to start ...the penalties, the play calling (or lack of) .  The combined amount of turnovers....Did those two teams just find their playbooks in a Lucky Charms box?  I'm not asking for Trinity Christian Coaching but seriously....Raines, how do you not teach an 18 year old to kick a PAT over 8 months? Do you expect to win a state championship ?  Do you deserve to win a state championship?   Pop Warner kids/coaches  figure out PATs  off YouTube .....  Now I see why Columbus just humiliated BTW when they played 5 weeks ago.  Coaching.  This game was a prime example of why people (and justifiably) laugh at Florida HS Football. 

Cocoa , Raines...you missed your ship in 2015!  This was the year to win 4A.  

@BrowardHandicapper You say coaching played a part, we'll why is the score 43-23 in favor of Booker T. Washington. Oh and as you mentioned the Columbus lost would you say the same 4 the St. Thomas lost.

Yes. I am saying and people will back me up that the coaching and play calling was atrocious for a 4A State Championship game.  

Very good point.  Thanks for reminding me.  Another superior  coached team in STA toying with the 4A State Champion BTW team using a Tecmo Bowl Offensive Playbook.   As for the score - No sense in trying to explain 43-23 unless you watched the game.  Anybody that watched the game can back me up on that.  OK, you are right - BTW was 20 points better than Raines tonight.  Trust me.  Again, anybody that watched the game will back me up on that.   Go ahead , feel free to justify a BTW 20 point win here. ;)  See for yourself:  Is it the 9 vs 24 First Down Disadvantage?  The 45 - 83 total Offensive Play Disadvantage?  The 90 vs 256 Rushing Yards Disadvantage?  The 4 - 2 INT Disadvantage?  The 212 - 227 Passing Disadvantage? The +1 Fumble Advantage?  It must have came down to the Kicker, right?    Yeah, that all adds up to a 20 point earned victory.

The game was a circus Slick! 11 Turnovers combined!

Zoe Boy called the score for this game out pretty good but if you look at these numbers it was not because "BTW had a better Defense".  They won because of piss-poor quality football.

Break it down for me and explain/justify a 20 point win for BTW outside of pathetic coaching?    Check  ;)  

http://rs.herald.com/sportstrac/boxscore.aspx?schID=79827

Wouldn't Raines have some fault as well. Didn't watch the game but fumbles, stripped balls and 5 times in the red zone scoreless says something. I read this via comment section on Raines alumni association page and they were talking about its time 4 a new coach.

Absolutely.  I am not stating Raines deserved to win the game.  In fact, BTW was indeed the better coached team .  I just think it was a little gifted to them and have trouble digesting BTW were 20 pts better than Raines this evening.  Having just watched Trinity Christian and AHD earlier in the day it was just hard to imagine that one of these teams were about to become 4A Florida State Champions.  Both teams were very athletic and athletic enough to be 4A State Champions but 11 combined turnovers?  It is not like these teams had great Defenses this year which kind of leads me to believe lots of mistakes for a State Championship.   In Raines case, how does a Head Coach go to practice everyday and expect to go to and win a state championship without pulling a couple kids aside in the spring and start practicing (even studying) PATs.  How can a coach NOT comprehend that eventually you will need PATs in the post-season?  Did he think Florida 4A was a freaking pick up game in someones back yard where you don't kick PATs and defeat defending National Champions? 

Absolutely. I am not stating Raines deserved to win the game. In fact, BTW was indeed the better coached team . I just think it was a little gifted to them and have trouble digesting BTW were 20 pts better than Raines this evening. Having just watched Trinity Christian and AHD earlier in the day it was just hard to imagine that one of these teams were about to become 4A Florida State Champions. Both teams were very athletic and athletic enough to be 4A State Champions but 11 combined turnovers? It is not like these teams had great Defenses this year which kind of leads me to believe lots of mistakes for a State Championship. In Raines case, how does a Head Coach go to practice everyday and expect to go to and win a state championship without pulling a couple kids aside in the spring and start practicing (even studying) PATs. How can a coach NOT comprehend that eventually you will need PATs in the post-season? Did he think Florida 4A was a freaking pick up game in someones back yard where you don't kick PATs and defeat defending National Champions?

To me far as BTW coaching wise they did a poor coaching job in the first half... Now Raines defense was great as advertised but I think they were playing to stop the pass as to stoping the run.. They rush 3 men throughout the whole game and btw should of been running the ball in the first half cause you can tell those guys were kind of nervous... They did a much better job in the second half.. Good thing BTW defense were able to held their own in the redzone... That was not Raines mistake... They couldn't get in the redzone cause BTW defense stop them and should of had another pick 6 and it would of been 14-0 at that point... Raines should of probably won that game with better coaching though... Too much procedure penalties for a heavy sr team... As for TC I think Raines and BTW just cause there overall team speed can play with them ... You knew when AHD step on the field they were over match... I ain't gonna lie I wouldn't mine TC goes up a district or BTW go up a district but I understand the enrollment part about it...

Maybe not Raines being that this is the 1st time playing Booker T. Washington but I'm going to go on the limb saying Glades Central, Cocoa and Bolles would somehow wish they would move to another classification. I think anything under 4A wouldn't work, but 5A would be a good fit.

Does teams wouldn't last in 5a south maybe north... But south no way

How about the  Raines Coach just figuring out a week ago he might need Kicker during the 4A playoffs?  A little bit irresponsible for a team heading to a state championship playing a defending National Champion?

BTW was prepared and had a solid Kicker. I would say every team competing in Orlando has a couple of kids that can make PATs....

Unless this Raines coach just thought during the regular season he  has the Offensive genius mind of Chip Kelly....

To me far as BTW coaching wise they did a poor coaching job in the first half... Now Raines defense was great as advertised but I think they were playing to stop the pass as to stoping the run.. They rush 3 men throughout the whole game and btw should of been running the ball in the first half cause you can tell those guys were kind of nervous... They did a much better job in the second half.. Good thing BTW defense were able to held their own in the redzone... That was not Raines mistake... They couldn't get in the redzone cause BTW defense stop them and should of had another pick 6 and it would of been 14-0 at that point... Raines should of probably won that game with better coaching though... Too much procedure penalties for a heavy sr team... As for TC I think Raines and BTW just cause there overall team speed can play with them ... You knew when AHD step on the field they were over match... I ain't gonna lie I wouldn't mine TC goes up a district or BTW go up a district but I understand the enrollment part about it...

Come on Zoe Boy.... TC would mop the floor with Raines and BTW.  They would be lucky to even score on TC. TC has plenty of team speed and as a team are on the level of a wounded STA  (who beat BTW 35-3) and Columbus (who beat BTW 40-13 just 5 weeks ago!)  Athletically BTW and Raines are as good as anyone-  but a team with a athletic Defense and decent coaching would have a shot against Raines and BTW.  I would even take a team like Miramar (in a down year) to lock those teams down, and be in a game vs them just because of their Defense alone...

TC is hands down a top 5 team in the STATE!  BTW might not even be a top 5 team in Dade County. Central, Columbus, Coral Gables, South Dade, Carol City, Northwestern, Jackson, Southridge...just saying. 

As for AHD, I honestly believe because of their decent Defense and superior Coaching they could possibly beat Raines and BTW as well in close games.  In fact Glades Central lost to AHD 35-19 this year and BTW 35-21 this year.  AHD would come up with some schemes that would frustate those teams.   BTW played and beat a walking wounded Cocoa to get to States and outside of that, had a pretty easy road to get to States.  I am not saying BTW did not deserve the 4A State Championship this year but just saying 4A in FL was very, very down this year.

Come on Zoe Boy.... TC would mop the floor with Raines and BTW. They would be lucky to even score on TC. TC has plenty of team speed and as a team are on the level of a wounded STA (who beat BTW 35-3) and Columbus (who beat BTW 40-13 just 5 weeks ago!) Athletically BTW and Raines are as good as anyone- but a team with a athletic Defense and decent coaching would have a shot against Raines and BTW. I would even take a team like Miramar (in a down year) to lock those teams down, and be in a game vs them just because of their Defense alone...

TC is hands down a top 5 team in the STATE! BTW might not even be a top 5 team in Dade County. Central, Columbus, Coral Gables, South Dade, Carol City, Northwestern, Jackson, Southridge...just saying.

As for AHD, I honestly believe because of their decent Defense and superior Coaching they could possibly beat Raines and BTW as well in close games. In fact Glades Central lost to AHD 35-19 this year and BTW 35-21 this year. AHD would come up with some schemes that would frustate those teams. BTW played and beat a walking wounded Cocoa to get to States and outside of that, had a pretty easy road to get to States. I am not saying BTW did not deserve the 4A State Championship this year but just saying 4A in FL was very, very down this year.

Ofcourse BTW is not top 5 this year... I'm not impress with TC... Who the hell they played? I don't think they have the depth... No way they beat STA Flannigan Columbus MC even Carol City would beat them.. Miramar would give TC a game....TC is good but I don't think they get challenge.. I hope they schedule more better teams from central to s fla teams.... Atleast AHD and Oxbridge played tougher teams even tho they lost... I'm not sold on TC....

Ofcourse BTW is not top 5 this year... I'm not impress with TC... Who the hell they played? I don't think they have the depth... No way they beat STA Flannigan Columbus MC even Carol City would beat them.. Miramar would give TC a game....TC is good but I don't think they get challenge.. I hope they schedule more better teams from central to s fla teams.... Atleast AHD and Oxbridge played tougher teams even tho they lost... I'm not sold on TC....

TC schedule is not that of the BTW  schedule,  but I thought it had a respectable schedule 2015.  They played about 8 top 100 teams in FL-  including slaughtering the following schools -  University Christian, Ribault, West Orange, Godby, Lincoln, Tampa Catholic and AHD.  TC also has multiple BCS Commits, one  the best Junior WR in the country in DJ Matthews (FSU) , and one of the best Junior DBs in the country in Shaun Wade (Ohio State).  

Not sure if they beat STA, Flanagan, Central and Columbus but they could definitely compete and we both know BTW would get slaughtered by all of those schools. 

TC schedule is not that of the BTW  schedule,  but I thought it had a respectable schedule 2015.  They played about 8 top 100 teams in FL-  including slaughtering the following schools -  University Christian, Ribault, West Orange, Godby, Lincoln, Tampa Catholic and AHD.  TC also has multiple BCS Commits, one  the best Junior WR in the country in DJ Matthews (FSU) , and one of the best Junior DBs in the country in Shaun Wade (Ohio State).  

Not sure if they beat STA, Flanagan, Central and Columbus but they could definitely compete and we both know BTW would get slaughtered by all of those schools. 

I agree with your comments. TC would compete, if not beat, all the better high schools in the state this year. And, DJ Matthews is a beast. One of the best receivers I have seen at high school (right up there with Dwayne Bowe and Mike Walker in the 2002 6A final). He gave Apopka fits last year and has a darn good arm as well. 

I don't understand all these shots thrown at the Tornadoes. They lost a lot I believe 30 plus to graduation which is a positive thing, then lost 13 upcoming seniors due to transferring. On top of all that lost lil Harris for Earl Tillman and when he was head coach before didn't do well. Booker T. Washington did what they had to do, despite what people said they couldn't which was win a 4th state title. Everybody on here knows Miramar is my school but I show love and support for Miami born and raised. It just frustrates me when people won't give them credit. I get the record 5-5 going into the playoffs and coaching being suspect but the fact of the matter is they won. Pretty much everyone on her except for me said they wouldn't beat Glades Central and Cocoa. Raines had a huge opportunity to beat Booker T. Washington I mean the score was 43-23 so obviously the Tornadoes had to be doing something right. I'm not mad at anybody and we're all in titled to feel how we feel but can we say one point or two positive about the Tornadoes. A UM commit from Raines was asked about the game and he said nothing to congratulate them on because we gave them the game. I'm sitting here like really? You only mustered up only 23 points to 43 so don't throw shade or be a sore loser.

I don't understand all these shots thrown at the Tornadoes. They lost a lot I believe 30 plus to graduation which is a positive thing, then lost 13 upcoming seniors due to transferring. On top of all that lost lil Harris for Earl Tillman and when he was head coach before didn't do well. Booker T. Washington did what they had to do, despite what people said they couldn't which was win a 4th state title. Everybody on here knows Miramar is my school but I show love and support for Miami born and raised. It just frustrates me when people won't give them credit. I get the record 5-5 going into the playoffs and coaching being suspect but the fact of the matter is they won. Pretty much everyone on her except for me said they would beat Glades Central and Cocoa. Raines had a huge opportunity to beat Booker T. Washington I mean the score was 43-23 so obviously the Tornadoes had to be doing something right. I'm not mad at anybody and we're all in titled to feel how we feel but can we say one point or two positive the Tornadoes. A UM commit from Raines was asked about the game and he said nothing to congratulate them on because we gave them the game. I'm sitting here like really? You only mustered up only 23 points to 43 so don't throw shade or be a sore loser.

To be honest the shots are more at Raines Coaching.  BTW was doing thing right but for the most part Raines was doing things wrong.  I just think BTW winning that game by 20 was an atrocity of a 4A State Championship, but it is not their fault the Raines Coaching staff may have been the worst in 4A Florida History. My opinion was Raines had the better players, BTW had the better coaching and ultimately - the better team. Next time you speak to someone representing Raines,  ask them how they expect to play in a State Championship with a Kicker that has only been kicking for a couple weeks and kicks straight on with his toe?  Not the Kickers fault but the Coaching and ultimately the AD

@BrowardHandicapper when I read what you wrote I wasn't mad with you or anything so please don't think I am. All I was simply saying was why can't they get credit. As you can see it's hard making it back to states just ask 5A's American Heritage. 4 Raines I don't know anybody I get all of this information from there alumni association page. Oh yeah about the kicker, remember Raines only had one lost coming into the state game and the rest of the wins besides the 1st match up against Bolles were blowouts. So..... in the coaches mind they figured who needs a kicker. Stupid, yes I know very because kickers play a vital role and that also means you wouldn't have a good punter.

@BrowardHandicapper when I read what you wrote I wasn't mad with you or anything so please don't think I am. All I was simply saying was why can't they get credit. As you can see it's hard making it back to states just ask 5A's American Heritage. 4 Raines I don't know anybody I get all of this information from there alumni association page. Oh yeah about the kicker, remember Raines only had one lost coming into the state game and the rest of the wins besides the 1st match up against Bolles were blowouts. So..... in the coaches mind they figured who needs a kicker. Stupid, yes I know very because kickers play a vital role and that also means you wouldn't have a good punter.

I wasn't mad with you either. I give them credit for winning. I don't know if you watched the game live but I just think they were fortunate and gifted with the horrendous coaching and mistakes by Raines. I watched the game and I have seen BTW play a lot better games than that.  I don't know about Raines because have not seen really seen them play much.  I can only conclude with Raines that they are very athletic and a poorly coached football team.  I have no problem saying and concluding  BTW was the best team in 4A this year.  I will also say that 4A was pretty bad this year.  I believe 3A TC would slaughter both of those teams and BTW would not win one game this year in the 5A SFL Playoffs .  In all fairness they are a very young team and fortunately will make 4A stronger.  I see BTW winning states the next 2 years with ease for sure in 4A.

I don't know how to explain it.....I felt like I was watching Two Division 1 FBS teams from the Sunbelt Conference play for the National Championship or something.  Poor decisions everywhere...

I watch the game live... Raines finally met a team they were not faster then or out athlete them... How the hell you had 7 opportunities in the red zone and you come out with 3 points? Is that coaching or was that BTW defense stepping up to the plate.... Raines was a slight better overall team then BTW but them young dudes brought it... Like I said before I'm not sold on TC.... They would only beat 1 team in the MC district... 5a every team can beat TC... What I'm trying o say is they are not that dominate team you try to paint them to be.... Their schedule pls... I'll give you west orange AHD and that's it.... Godby is horrible... Lincoln is horrible...

I watch the game live... Raines finally met a team they were not faster then or out athlete them... How the hell you had 7 opportunities in the red zone and you come out with 3 points? Is that coaching or was that BTW defense stepping up to the plate.... Raines was a slight better overall team then BTW but them young dudes brought it... Like I said before I'm not sold on TC.... They would only beat 1 team in the MC district... 5a every team can beat TC... What I'm trying o say is they are not that dominate team you try to paint them to be.... Their schedule pls... I'll give you west orange AHD and that's it.... Godby is horrible... Lincoln is horrible...

You get seven opportunities in the red zone and only three points if one of the three happens: 1. You have incredibly bad luck. 2. You have incredibly bad play calling. 3. The team is terribly undisciplined. Sure, I get that BTW, stepped up its defense in the red zone. And I give them all the credit in the world for doing so. However, if it were just BTW's defense, Raines would not have gotten into the red zone that many times to begin with. You don't play with fire and not expect to get burned eventually, at least not unless you have a death wish. 

Regarding TC, which I saw live, I think they are better than you think. They are a team that plays up/down to the level of its competition and they did just what they needed to to win. I think they would compete in both the Miami Central district and in 5A south. 

If you all can say something to Raines I guess in a way to help them for the future what would it be. A new coach, a kicker, better defense, strenght of schedule or whatever else you can think of. What are you all thoughts and you know what let's do the same for Booker T. Washington,  although they won some things can still be changed. Personally I think the schedule can be a little tougher for Raines because they pretty much blew out all of their opponents except 3. First Coast 26-15, Bolles 1st match up 35-30 and Ribault 19-4 Lost. As for the Tornadoes coaching can be a little better and growth level. Remember this team was underclassman heavy and I'm glad the ajustment was made at the quarterback position because if not the 4th state title and 6th overall wouldn't be at this school. I know my history because I do my homework. State titles 1952, 2007, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2011 state runner up.

Regarding BTW, given the youth of the program, the loss of good players via transfers, and the coaching changes, I think they did just fine and the future is bright.

Regarding Raines, I think they have some of the issues that Dillard alluded to in another post. They need some changes in the coaching staff, but politics may prevent that from happening. Yes, they could also benefit from a better schedule but that may be difficult depending on County policies and school resources.