CARDINAL GIBBONS TAKES DOWN VENICE

Ray Icaza

3 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Venice defeated Riverview last night 42-7 in a game that was supposed to be a bitter battle. I love how you guys are so scared that Venice will steamroll 8A that you throw a party at the one loss they suffer. Go Indians! 

I favor Venice to win 8A. But I would, frankly, be surprised if they steamrolled the division. I think that at least two of your five (if you make state) playoff games will be very tight. 

Time will tell if I am right. 

On 10/29/2021 at 9:42 AM, Perspective said:

Jambun, I have a hypothetical question for you:  A coach on the sideline sees one of his players being held, so he brings this matter to the attention of one of the officials.  And to make this hypothetical easy, let's say the holding call involved linemen, the call is normally one that the head referee would make, the coach bringing up the issue of the missed call is the team's head coach, and he voices his displeasure, loudly but politely, with the white hat.  I'm guessing this scenario plays out a couple of times at every game every Friday night.  

Here's my question:  Is it appropriate for the ref to say to the coach:  "I saw it coach, but it was behind the play and didn't affect the play in any way; so I didn't call it."    In other words, is there anything in the rule book that permits or allows an official to ignore an action that would otherwise be a penalty if, in the opinion of the official, the penalty had no impact on the play.   I think we would both agree that officials make this determination in the their heads - perhaps several times a game.  But would it be appropriate for them to vocalize/rationalize the non-call in the manner I've posed? 

Perspective, if the hold, which is not a player safety foul, is clearly away from the play and there is no possibility of the defender affecting the play, that should not be a penalty. There is nothing in the rule book that permits or allows an official to "ignore' an action, that is similar to an unwritten rule. However, most good Head Coaches will understand, if not agree with, the fact that a "hold" in that circumstance will not result in a foul. Of course, player safety fouls are to be penalties regardless of where they occur on the field of play or the end zone. Officials usually will tell a Head Coach, Assistant Coaches do NOT need to be speaking to officials, that he/she will watch and keep on eye on holding and other potential fouls in the future. Coaches have every right to question rules interpretations, but not judgment calls on non-player safety fouls like holding. 

On 10/30/2021 at 12:45 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

I favor Venice to win 8A. But I would, frankly, be surprised if they steamrolled the division. I think that at least two of your five (if you make state) playoff games will be very tight. 

Time will tell if I am right. 

Just wondering myself, who "YOU GUYS" are that threw a party when Venice loss.  I did report the loss on this thread, but was interested to get a take on the game from someone that may have watched it.   I also reported our team's loss that same weekend and provided my take on the game.  Don't recall see any other members of the forum celebrating Venice's loss.  

8 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Just wondering myself, who "YOU GUYS" are that threw a party when Venice loss.  I did report the loss on this thread, but was interested to get a take on the game from someone that may have watched it.   I also reported our team's loss that same weekend and provided my take on the game.  Don't recall see any other members of the forum celebrating Venice's loss.  

He can be, how shall I put this, hyperbolic at times. 

As I am a fan of an 8A team other than Venice, I do show a lot of interest when a team keeps the game close or beats Venice. For that gives me hope that they can be beat. But I certainly don't celebrate their loss. For while I am not a Venice fan, I am no hater of their program.

The one time I watched a game there was about five or six years ago when I made the trip to watch them play Braden River for the district championship. I found the place to be a great venue to watch a high school game, and if the commute were shorter, I would likely visit their home field more often. 

26 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

He can be, how shall I put this, hyperbolic at times. 

As I am a fan of an 8A team other than Venice, I do show a lot of interest when a team keeps the game close or beats Venice. For that gives me hope that they can be beat. But I certainly don't celebrate their loss. For while I am not a Venice fan, I am no hater of their program.

The one time I watched a game there was about five or six years ago when I made the trip to watch them play Braden River for the district championship. I found the place to be a great venue to watch a high school game, and if the commute were shorter, I would likely visit their home field more often. 

I realize that I'm new on the forum and don't know the folks on here but joined when I saw someone ask for someone to speak up on OHS behalf to get our team more exposure.  Just a fan and that is all I am doing, but I do believe this year 8A is up for grabs for a number of teams with no heavy favorite.  Both Venice from the south and Seminole from the north have earned their place in the division.  On any given night, there are a handful of teams that can upset the applecart as many have pointed out that we have 15-18 year olds playing the game.  It won't be a breeze for anyone as teams will have to negotiate several games that they can lose just to get to the championship.  

11 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

I realize that I'm new on the forum and don't know the folks on here but joined when I saw someone ask for someone to speak up on OHS behalf to get our team more exposure.  Just a fan and that is all I am doing, but I do believe this year 8A is up for grabs for a number of teams with no heavy favorite.  Both Venice from the south and Seminole from the north have earned their place in the division.  On any given night, there are a handful of teams that can upset the applecart as many have pointed out that we have 15-18 year olds playing the game.  It won't be a breeze for anyone as teams will have to negotiate several games that they can lose just to get to the championship.  

Agree. In region 4 8a, the teams that usually make the noise down here are quietly getting better. Everyone agrees Dillard did well vs STA, Western lost by the same margin on Aquinas field. Deerfield lost their coach after the Dillard game & are slowly getting better. Columbus beat Palmetto this weekend. I think any one of those teams could push Venice. Up north u have Osceola, Seminole, Treasure Coast, & who’s gonna count out Apopka that raises their game in the playoffs. I’m excited about the 8a playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Jullian said:

Agree. In region 4 8a, the teams that usually make the noise down here are quietly getting better. Everyone agrees Dillard did well vs STA, Western lost by the same margin on Aquinas field. Deerfield lost their coach after the Dillard game & are slowly getting better. Columbus beat Palmetto this weekend. I think any one of those teams could push Venice. Up north u have Osceola, Seminole, Treasure Coast, & who’s gonna count out Apopka that raises their game in the playoffs. I’m excited about the 8a playoffs. 

Osceola and West Orange are both in region 3 (south) which makes getting out of the south my quote from over a month ago "Murders Row".  How RPI will play into shipping teams to the north is tough to decipher, but the teams from Region 1 & 2 without that don't face the threats week to week in the playoffs as I think only 2 or 3 have a realistic chance of navigating the challenges. 

9 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Osceola and West Orange are both in region 3 (south) which makes getting out of the south my quote from over a month ago "Murders Row".  How RPI will play into shipping teams to the north is tough to decipher, but the teams from Region 1 & 2 without that don't face the threats week to week in the playoffs as I think only 2 or 3 have a realistic chance of navigating the challenges. 

Keep forgetting their in region 3!!!! Wow!!! 

5 hours ago, Jullian said:

Keep forgetting their in region 3!!!! Wow!!! 

Agree with Darter that Venice is favored out of this region, but on any given day there are a couple of teams that could upset them.  Even though they manhandled Sarasota Riverview Friday, to me they are still a threat in this region.  West Orange has had time to get better week to week with the roughly 15 transfers they got this year.  Those included their starting QB (Tyler Huff-Orange Park), pair of very good WR (Rocky Rudolph/Asaad Waseem- Wekiva), excellent DE/TE two way player (Eddie Kelly-Jones), top tackler LB (Anthony Joseph-Apopka), top rated DL/LB (Brendan Flakes-Lake Minneola), DL (Max Dulansky-Freedom), etc... They were already a good team and had this level of talent dumped in.  Hopefully, you get the picture.  Others with good RPI scores as Newsome & Durant I don't know much about so we got to see.  And yes, Osceola is a threat if OL can raise their level of play during the next two weeks.  They started season very young with only one returner with significant varsity experience, a Junior.  Most others where sophomores and thru early injuries, Covid and other issues they have taken this long to coalesce around 7-8 man rotation going forward.  They just need to start executing a bit better, eliminate missed assignments and false start penalties.  It will improve a good running game we already have and protect the QB with a dangerous passing attack as we have 4-5 excellent receivers that are extremely underrated.   Defense is excellent. 

On 10/31/2021 at 7:40 PM, Ray Icaza said:

I Was only being a little hyperbolic. I didn’t expect it to be a loss but Gibbons is obviously a really strong football team as advertised. They always have been tough, congrats to them on the win. I have only gone to one of Venice’s games this year (Riverview) but they just look really strong up front which leads me to believe that they have a strong chance at winning 8A. Of course, anything could happen, which is the beauty of the game that makes us football fans. I don’t think I’ll be going to the playoff games until our Covid numbers improve but I’m excited to see how everything shakes out. 

7 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

I Was only being a little hyperbolic. I didn’t expect it to be a loss but Gibbons is obviously a really strong football team as advertised. They always have been tough, congrats to them on the win. I have only gone to one of Venice’s games this year (Riverview) but they just look really strong up front which leads me to believe that they have a strong chance at winning 8A. Of course, anything could happen, which is the beauty of the game that makes us football fans. I don’t think I’ll be going to the playoff games until our Covid numbers improve but I’m excited to see how everything shakes out. 

Venice has looked strong all year and also consistent week to week, as those are the qualities of a champ.  They definitely will be making noise.  If we are fortunate enough to advance and meet them down the road I will definitely be at the game. 

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

Venice has looked strong all year and also consistent week to week, as those are the qualities of a champ.  They definitely will be making noise.  If we are fortunate enough to advance and meet them down the road I will definitely be at the game. 

If Apopka is not still in the mix, I will likely make that game, too, if Osceola takes care of business on the way there. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If Apopka is not still in the mix, I will likely make that game, too, if Osceola takes care of business on the way there. 

Journey was going to be difficult enough and not winning the district just relegated us to be road warriors again this year.  The bright side is if we can win this weekend we will only need to travel to West Orange the second round rather than to Venice for a three hour road trip.  Looks like you guys might be on the road after the first round also, but outside of Jacksonville one time most games can be close to home.  Looking at Region 1, still think it will be you or Seminole before getting the Region 2 winner.  Kids will decide the outcome and everything else is just chatter.

8 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Journey was going to be difficult enough and not winning the district just relegated us to be road warriors again this year.  The bright side is if we can win this weekend we will only need to travel to West Orange the second round rather than to Venice for a three hour road trip.  Looks like you guys might be on the road after the first round also, but outside of Jacksonville one time most games can be close to home.  Looking at Region 1, still think it will be you or Seminole before getting the Region 2 winner.  Kids will decide the outcome and everything else is just chatter.

I think Lake Brantley has a puncher's chance against Bartram Trail, not because they are the better team (they are not), but because most teams don't see the triple option often (I assume this applies to BT) and it can be troubling to stop for the unfamiliar.

If that were the case, APK would be home for the fist two rounds. But that is likely wishful thinking/speculating on my part.

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I think Lake Brantley has a puncher's chance against Bartram Trail, not because they are the better team (they are not), but because most teams don't see the triple option often (I assume this applies to BT) and it can be troubling to stop for the unfamiliar.

If that were the case, APK would be home for the fist two rounds. But that is likely wishful thinking/speculating on my part.

Good chance you are right as they have played a very good schedule and losses have been to likes of Seminole, Lake Mary, Apopka and another 7A playoff team.  I didn't think they would beat either Ocoee or Winter Park but they did.  In 4A it looks like Cocoa has clear sailing until they meet Bolles in the semi's before getting the monster from the south.