JUST WOW! Inglewood sentinels BEAT the morningside monarchs 106-0 Last night

THIS_IS_DILLARD

after that type of beating I know the monarchs wish it was Still morning because WHEW!! Lol 

i get it you don’t want your opponent to score stop them etc etc, but in my opinion this was classless as hell by that head coach. 

keeping your star QB in to accumulate 13 TD passes over a overly matched opponent which made national news is just sick. What if he had got hurt for the rest of the season God forbid smh. 

49 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

after that type of beating I know the monarchs wish it was Still morning because WHEW!! Lol 

i get it you don’t want your opponent to score stop them etc etc, but in my opinion this was classless as hell by that head coach. 

keeping your star QB in to accumulate 13 TD passes over a overly matched opponent which made national news is just sick. What if he had got hurt for the rest of the season God forbid smh. 

Inglewood and Morningside are rivals and both reside in Inglewood. You went to Dillard and Ely is y'all rival but you can't tell me you wouldn't want to score up the scoreboard on them or if it was St. Thomas 

5 minutes ago, FBGUY1989 said:

Inglewood and Morningside are rivals and both reside in Inglewood. You went to Dillard and Ely is y'all rival but you can't tell me you wouldn't want to score up the scoreboard on them or if it was St. Thomas 

Oh yea even next week I hope we blast they ass to the moon scoring 70 lol but not at the risk of our starters let our back ups get in on the ass whoopin yo lol

Very, very poor school district, and I don't just mean money. Also, ironically perhaps, CA running clock rules are much less strict than in Florida. In Florida, at the moment, it is literally impossible to score 100 points in a game. STA couldn't put 100 points on a JV squad. The running clock kicks in at a 35 point margin and literally runs non-stop until the game is over. I remember watching Lakeland at Manatee in 2019 up like 45-0 and the officials conferenced on the field for several minutes...and the clock just kept running. In CA, the clock would stop for such instances. Etc.

49 minutes ago, Trelle said:

I read somewhere the running clock had started in the 2nd qtr, but they kept scoring. Even went for a 2pt conversion I believe on their last TD.

I'm guessing the line on the game was 105 and the Inglewood coach went for 2 on their last TD to make sure he covered the spread for all their fans who were betting on the game.  B)

1 minute ago, SportsNut25 said:

Western was nine points away from hitting triple digits this season against Taravella. 

And that was a varsity contest. 

My understanding from an official on this forum, the running clock rule is not mandatory till the second half.  It can be initiated with 35 point lead if both coaches agree.  Could have been 80-0 at the half with the lead coach not agreeing to the running clock early.  In any event, it is a sad state of affairs.

5 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

My understanding from an official on this forum, the running clock rule is not mandatory till the second half.  It can be initiated with 35 point lead if both coaches agree.  Could have been 80-0 at the half with the lead coach not agreeing to the running clock early.  In any event, it is a sad state of affairs.

So you wouldn't want to run up the scoreboard against your rival school 

In my opinion, putting a good whoopin' on your rival is one thing - running up the score for the sake of running up the score on any opponent - rival or not - is bad sportsmanship.   

What difference does it make it you beat a team 60-0 or 80-0? 

That said, once a team has an insurmountable lead, in my opinion, the coach of the team that's ahead has an obligation to do a couple of things.  First and foremost, he's got to clear his bench.  Every kid who is dressed out for that game should be getting meaningful minutes in the second half (as meaningful as the minutes can be given the score).  If the 4th string DB happens to get beat deep by the other teams starting WR and the shutout is lost, so be it. 

I took a look at the Western/Taravella box score/recap on MaxPreps.  So everything that follows is based on what's on MaxPreps. I tried to find more online, but really couldn't find anything more than a score from sites that didn't have a pay/firewall.   Most notably, no one (including MaxPreps) showed the quarter-by-quarter scoring, so I have no idea when the 91 points were scored.  Now, before I go any further, I saw that three of Western's TD's came from a fumble returned for a TD and two pick-sixes.  That's 21 points that I have absolutely no problem with at all - regardless of when these plays took place.  I would hope that if one of these three scoring plays took place in the second half (especially the fourth quarter), that it was a non-starter who made the play. 

Only one of Western's offensive TD's came from a running back.  Eight of the TD's came on passing plays (4 for one receiver and two each for two other receivers).  The thing that struck me the most was that all eight TD passes were thrown by the one and only Western QB that attempted a pass that game (the kid was 12-14 with 8 TD's).  So, putting aside all the PCA/Honor the Game/Sportsmanship Counts mantras for just a minute, Western is 7-2. They're undefeated in their 5 district games.  They've got two losses (Chaminade-Madonna and STA), with a tough final game against Miramar this Friday night.  But they've made the playoffs.  Their starting QB, Collin Hurst (Jr.) has some impressive stats this year:  177-246, 2545 yards, 29 TD's and only 2 INT's.  The only other kids on the team to throw a pass this year (according to MaxPreps) are a combined 4-9, 37 yards, 0 TD's and 2 INT's.  What happens if Hurst takes a big hit against Miramar and he gets injured?  Wouldn't it have made sense, from a pure selfish coaching standpoint, to give your back-up QB some meaningful reps in a game like the Taravella game to give your team a puncher's chance in the playoffs? 

I used to be totally old school when it came to teams with big leads in the second half.  Just run the ball, keep the clock running and do your best to keep everyone out of harm's way.   Over time, and realizing that back-up QB's and 3rd team receivers work just as hard in practice as all the other kids, I've relaxed my position a little.  I don't have a problem with a team throwing the ball when they're up big as long as the ones throwing the ball and the ones trying to catch the ball are non-starters.  No trick plays.  And you only call timeout in order to bring in the kid with special needs that you let dress out that game to take the handoff and run for a TD with both teams cheering him on the whole way, the defense pretending to make diving tackles, and knowing that the video will go viral. 

So, in answer to the question:  if you're beating a team 91-0, they aren't your rival.  They may have been your rival in the past and they may be your rival in the future, but they ain't your rival now.  They're just a really bad team that's in your district.  But, they're also a team full of kids that still have the heart to put their school uniform on every Friday night and show up for their games.  Have a little class and show them a little mercy.  Oh, and if every single kid that dressed out for the game didn't get to play (absent injury or disciplinary issues), then, truth be told,  you have no business being a high school football coach. 

9 hours ago, FBGUY1989 said:

So you wouldn't want to run up the scoreboard against your rival school 

Once the running clock is initiated (35 point lead), our coach would make wholesale substitutions to let everyone play as the game is clearly in control.  We have had that happen numerous times this year and in every case Coach EP has done just that; let the backups have fun, gain experience, reward them for their hard work, etc.  If they continue scoring, that is part of the reward; same if they continue to defend.  You aren't just going to "Take a Knee" for the remaining 2 or 3 quarters.  One is guilty of "Running Up the Score" if you allow starters to simply pad their stats as this simply doesn't help your team in the tight games.  

4 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Or playing in a league with teams like them 

No varsity football. Inglewood isn’t even close to the best team they would face on a path to the state title. So if you lose to a team who isn’t even favored to win it all by 106 points then you are just wasting everyone’s time. Play JV ball, maybe independent varsity, or 8 man. 

10 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

No varsity football. Inglewood isn’t even close to the best team they would face on a path to the state title. So if you lose to a team who isn’t even favored to win it all by 106 points then you are just wasting everyone’s time. Play JV ball, maybe independent varsity, or 8 man. 

You can't say this because look at IMG Academy and how they give out an ass whooping every game. In their case would they play