2021 Pick 'Em Contest - Week 11 (11/05)

sikolec

Two cancelled games this week; Lake Gibson at Auburndale amd Raines at Vero Beach.  Couple of us (including myself) missed getting picks in.  Here are the Week 11 results:

Week 11 Scoreboard:

Cat_Scratch - 53

Jullian - 49

Hwy17 - 44

DarterBlue2 - 42

KeemD321 - 40

fishspinners - 38

muckboy561 - 38

nolebull813 - 38

VeniceIndiansFootball - 37

ColumbiaHighFan2017class - 0

sikolec - 0

THIS_IS_DILLARD - 0

Next post will be regular season final standings.  I will be posting a new pick' em for the playoffs later today/tomorrow morning.  I'll need some time to assess the match-ups.

Regular Season FINAL Scoreboard:

1. Jullian - 458

2. Cat_Scratch - 453

3. fishspinners - 430

4. muckboy561 - 414

5. nolebull813 - 410

6. DarterBlue2 - 407

7. KeemD321 - 406

8. sikolec - 394

9. Hwy17 - 382

10. ColumbiaHighFan2017class - 363

11. VeniceIndiansFootball - 355

12. THIS_IS_DILLARD - 317

13. HornetFan - 185

14. ohs vargas - 170

15. Beek - 40

16. BigBoyBall - 27

Playoff pick 'em will be posted shortly.  Fresh start for all (including newcomers).

8 minutes ago, sikolec said:

Regular Season FINAL Scoreboard:

1. Jullian - 458

2. Cat_Scratch - 453

3. fishspinners - 430

4. muckboy561 - 414

5. nolebull813 - 410

6. DarterBlue2 - 407

7. KeemD321 - 406

8. sikolec - 394

9. Hwy17 - 382

10. ColumbiaHighFan2017class - 363

11. VeniceIndiansFootball - 355

12. THIS_IS_DILLARD - 317

13. HornetFan - 185

14. ohs vargas - 170

15. Beek - 40

16. BigBoyBall - 27

Playoff pick 'em will be posted shortly.  Fresh start for all (including newcomers).

Congrats to Julian eeking out Cat Scratch and the rest of the top five.

10 minutes ago, Jullian said:

Thank u. Would have been more interesting if all the games woulda played this weekend! The difference between all the top players was just 1 bad weekend. 

So much talent in South Florida, unless you are really engaged it is hard to figure top teams year to year as a coach moving to a non power school can get it on the map if he can draw players.  Case in point is the Flanagan team that beat us in state final a few years back when they hired Devin Bush and all of a sudden they were loaded.  In our area we don't see that happening alot where a school pops up out of nowhere and is just not good, but wins state.  Thus in the "Pick Em " contest I would rank dead last and reason for my congrats.

32 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

So much talent in South Florida, unless you are really engaged it is hard to figure top teams year to year as a coach moving to a non power school can get it on the map if he can draw players.  Case in point is the Flanagan team that beat us in state final a few years back when they hired Devin Bush and all of a sudden they were loaded.  In our area we don't see that happening alot where a school pops up out of nowhere and is just not good, but wins state.  Thus in the "Pick Em " contest I would rank dead last and reason for my congrats.

A fair amount of transferring goes on in the Orlando area. But usually it is the already good teams that draw the bulk of transfers. Thus, programs usually show signs of marked improvement before they make a deep playoff run, Wekiva in 2018 would have been a case in point when they lost a very tight game in the third round to the eventual state champion.

Jones was a bit of an exception in the transfer portal four or five years ago when more than half of the better Oak Ridge players followed the coach there. However, even that Jones team made an early exit despite having about 20 kids transfer in in one year. 

36 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

What’s your feeling on playing Newsome, first round? That’s not an easy out.....

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

A fair amount of transferring goes on in the Orlando area. But usually it is the already good teams that draw the bulk of transfers. Thus, programs usually show signs of marked improvement before they make a deep playoff run, Wekiva in 2018 would have been a case in point when they lost a very tight game in the third round to the eventual state champion.

Jones was a bit of an exception in the transfer portal four or five years ago when more than half of the better Oak Ridge players followed the coach there. However, even that Jones team made an early exit despite having about 20 kids transfer in in one year. 

I know Blue Darters wrench it up a notch in the post season. Any concerns with Creekside? 

6 minutes ago, Jullian said:

What’s your feeling on playing Newsome, first round? That’s not an easy out.....

Absolutely, we had them last year and they were solid then probably better now.  Obviously they showed that against Armwood Friday so we definitely have to avoid turnovers, penalties and the such that typically hurt us when we lose.  They seem to be a run first type team that plays into our strength although they do throw some to a quick back out of the backfield and a tall receiver.  I do like our team though, but I and others have repeatedly said this:  You win some you should lose and lose some you should win.  THE PLAYOFFS, one an done.

14 minutes ago, Jullian said:

I know Blue Darters wrench it up a notch in the post season. Any concerns with Creekside? 

It is going to be an unusual matchup. I watched the Creekside vs Oakleaf game in its entirety. A few observations:

1. Creekside's QB has a good arm and is a southpaw. 
2. Creekside's principal running back is tall for a RB; he is also shifty, but has average speed.
3. Creekside's defense is not their strongpoint. I would not call it weak, but good teams will certainly get their fair share of points against them.

If Apopka minimizes its mistakes and finishes its drives, I expect the Darters to win this one comfortably. Unless the Creekside QB lights up our secondary, I can't see them scoring more than 17-20 points maximum against Apopka. And, I suspect Apopka will score at least in the high 20s but probably more against them. 

Apopka's defense and special teams have played well the entire season. And the offense, while no points machine, seems to have gotten progressively better over the final five games of the regular season. At this stage, I think Apopka has a strong chance of at least getting to the regional finals and a match, most likely, with Seminole. No guarantees, but that's my feeling going into week 1 of the playoffs.