FiNALiZED RPI STANDINGS & Playoff matchups ??

THIS_IS_DILLARD

I know a few teams still have week 10 games this week , but there are alot of teams who are on their bye and played their final regular season game last week. 

so are there any confirmed playoff matchups yet ? Because for most teams regardless what happens this week their RPI won’t change. @VeniceIndiansFootball @SportsNut25 @Jullian @DarterBlue2

11 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

Yes, week 11 results will have an impact on teams. No playoff matchups are confirmed. This week's results may not move everyone up and down but it very well could move some around. 

Bracket release will be Sunday at 2, per the Orlando Sentinel. 

Sunday at 2 sounds great, but what about the weather throwing that all out the door ?  Much of Florida is being warned of some very nasty conditions this weekend starting Friday afternoon. Monday evening may have a full slate of make up games. With playoffs starting the following Friday (Nov 12) can matchups be officially announced by Wednesday? Game tape exchanged, players familiarized with opponent, transportation, and possible lodging all done by Friday night ? Granted most playoff contenders have an idea where and who they are playing, but not all have that luxury. Let hope the FHSAA has its act together (%,x,-,+,=) and is a little lucky weather wise. Makes you wonder how thoughtout this whole playoff situation was from the beginning.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:10 AM, Dan in Daytona said:

Sunday at 2 sounds great, but what about the weather throwing that all out the door ?  Much of Florida is being warned of some very nasty conditions this weekend starting Friday afternoon. Monday evening may have a full slate of make up games. With playoffs starting the following Friday (Nov 12) can matchups be officially announced by Wednesday? Game tape exchanged, players familiarized with opponent, transportation, and possible lodging all done by Friday night ? Granted most playoff contenders have an idea where and who they are playing, but not all have that luxury. Let hope the FHSAA has its act together (%,x,-,+,=) and is a little lucky weather wise. Makes you wonder how thoughtout this whole playoff situation was from the beginning.

Per Josh, Saturday is the final day for all games to be played

On 11/3/2021 at 2:02 PM, Cat_Scratch said:

Maybe next Tuesday they will have some Brackets showing??? RPI will change one more time I believe.

https://fhsaa.com/rankings.aspx?path=football

Wow these rankings have top 15 nationally ranked Jesuit down at #18 in the state lol.  I wish they would let me make them a formula.  

On 11/3/2021 at 1:34 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

I believe most teams, even if they are not playing this Friday, will still be impacted by those results due to the way RPI is calculated. 

With that said, I don't expect that most matchups for Round 1 will be finalized before Monday or Tuesday of next week. If I am wrong, someone please correct me. 

Looks like Dillard will be 6th in Region 4 and play at Fort Lauderdale round 1

50 minutes ago, CoachK said:

Looks like Dillard will be 6th in Region 4 and play at Fort Lauderdale round 1

With Miramar & ft Lauderdale losing I didn’t know if anything would change such as seeding. 

but if that end being the case let’s get it. But in 2019 they didn’t go by reigions we played lely round 1 & ft MYERS in round 2 , I thought they were going with that same type of format @SportsNut25

18 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

With Miramar & ft Lauderdale losing I didn’t know if anything would change such as seeding. 

but if that end being the case let’s get it. But in 2019 they didn’t go by reigions we played lely round 1 & ft MYERS in round 2 , I thought they were going with that same type of format @SportsNut25

I think you have that wrong. They did go by Regions. Many of the regions extended far geographically, but they did.

21 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

With both losing FTL will be 3rd and Miramar 4th.  District winners are in and ranked by RPI.  Non district winners in based on RPI.  

2 hours ago, CoachK said:
7 hours ago, PinellasFB said:

Wow these rankings have top 15 nationally ranked Jesuit down at #18 in the state lol.  I wish they would let me make them a formula.  

Jesuit has the 18th best RPI.  It’s not a subjective ranking.  

Um, thats why I said they need to let me make the formula. 

25 minutes ago, SportsNut25 said:

Yes it goes by regions. 7A Region 4 is just South Florida schools

FMI: https://floridahsfootball.com/2021/11/04/week-11-fhsaa-rpi-class-7a-football-playoff-rankings/#.YYdXvWDMJPY

Got you so what is the diff between this year & 2019 when it comes down to playoff matchup pairings? We’re they not going by regions that year ? 

i thought the regions stopped when they stopped doing the district runner ups. 

9 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Got you so what is the diff between this year & 2019 when it comes down to playoff matchup pairings? We’re they not going by regions that year ? 

i thought the regions stopped when they stopped doing the district runner ups. 

No, it has always gone by region. In 2019, several 7A and 6A schools from southwest Florida were included in regions with Broward and north Dade teams.

The regions have varied, and some are strange. The Orlando area includes three regions in 8A: Regions 1, 2 and 3. So, like last year, it is possible that the 8A final could be between two Orlando area schools (even two Orange County schools). 

It makes no sense, but it is what it is. 

I absolutely hate the RPI.  It is nearly 100% incorrect in identifying the correct at large playoff teams.  I think a simple change if they want to keep their over-simplified formula is there should never be more than 2 teams from a district unless the playoff field is not filled completely, then you can start taking 3 or more teams from a single district.  

17 hours ago, PinellasFB said:

I absolutely hate the RPI.  It is nearly 100% incorrect in identifying the correct at large playoff teams.  I think a simple change if they want to keep their over-simplified formula is there should never be more than 2 teams from a district unless the playoff field is not filled completely, then you can start taking 3 or more teams from a single district.  

I'm not necessarily defending the RPI system (as it definitely has some flaws), but isn't the idea to get the best four non-district winning teams in the region into the playoffs?  And as I recall, teams have very little say in which teams are in their district as well as how many teams are in their district.  Why should a really strong team that finishes third in an 8-team district sit at home while a really weak district runner-up from a 3-team district gets to go to the playoffs?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most - if not all - regions have four districts?  If you only allow two teams from each district, you essentially go back to district winners and district runners-up, don't you? 

15 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I'm not necessarily defending the RPI system (as it definitely has some flaws), but isn't the idea to get the best four non-district winning teams in the region into the playoffs?  And as I recall, teams have very little say in which teams are in their district as well as how many teams are in their district.  Why should a really strong team that finishes third in an 8-team district sit at home while a really weak district runner-up from a 3-team district gets to go to the playoffs?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most - if not all - regions have four districts?  If you only allow two teams from each district, you essentially go back to district winners and district runners-up, don't you? 

Yes,  unless you return the 3 district format per region with more teams in each district with automatic bids for district champ and runner up.  Then have two additional wildcards from the RPI system per region; this would likely catch the one or two instances per region that have the 3 strong teams you alluded to.  Someone else pointed this out earlier and seems like that would be the best of both worlds.

3 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Yes,  unless you return the 3 district format per region with more teams in each district with automatic bids for district champ and runner up.  Then have two additional wildcards from the RPI system per region; this would likely catch the one or two instances per region that have the 3 strong teams you alluded to.  Someone else pointed this out earlier and seems like that would be the best of both worlds.

Three team districts is definitely the main problem in ensuring good teams get in.  Our district(8A) has 6 teams while those adjoining districts in Tampa area have 3 (Steinbrenner district champ) or 4 (Newsome district champ).  Our area has more 8A teams and could ship a few down there to balance things out.  

5 hours ago, Perspective said:

I didnt realize it would become winners and runner ups like before so my simple adjustment doesnt seem to fix it like I thought.  The problem I have with RPI is it overly punishes strong areas where all the teams beat up on each other.  If you want to do away with the district runner ups and all those tie breakers, then use an actual RPI that gauges the relative power of all teams.  If college football used this very index, a bunch of 5-5 SEC teams would be rated less than 6-4 or 7-3 conference USA or MAC teams, which we know is not true at all, yet FPI and other actual mathematical models have those 5-5 SEC teams ranked way above the MAC teams.  Maybe go back to winners and runner ups and use the RPI for seeding? 

As an example, I'm very familiar with Tampa area and Southwest FL high school teams.  In 5A, Port Charlotte missed the playoffs at 5-4 and 2nd place in 5A-12 while 5A-9 sent *four* teams to the playoffs and PCHS could beat all of those teams.  5A-9 is in a very weak geographic region and they get to pad their wins versus a bunch of very bad teams.  A win versus a bad team is better than a loss to a good team with this metric, which is my main contention. 

5 hours ago, Perspective said:

Okay I have a better idea.  Take runner ups if they are within 0.1 RPI of the third+ team from a different district that's ranked ahead of them.  This would get a bunch of playoff worthy runner ups into the field at the expense of a third or fourth team from the same district.