Armwood forfeits three games

SportsNut25

OK, I've got a serious question with regard to forfeited games.  And, since this one in right here in front of me, I'll use Armwood as the example.   Armwood has to forfeit its wins against Gaither, Steinbrenner and Strawberry Crest.  Presumably, that takes a win away from Armwood in each game and replaces it with a loss.   What about the other teams?  Do Gaither, Steinbrenner and SC replace L's with W's?   As you guys might imagine, there's a real trickle-down effect going on with the RPI.   Armwood just went from 7-2 to 4-5.   That hurts the teams that played them and the teams that played those teams . . . unless those teams all played the other three schools too, in which case it probably evens out. 

I'm wondering if the RPI has been adjusted or if the FHSAA will simply wait and readjust after tonight's games?

48 minutes ago, Perspective said:

OK, I've got a serious question with regard to forfeited games.  And, since this one in right here in front of me, I'll use Armwood as the example.   Armwood has to forfeit its wins against Gaither, Steinbrenner and Strawberry Crest.  Presumably, that takes a win away from Armwood in each game and replaces it with a loss.   What about the other teams?  Do Gaither, Steinbrenner and SC replace L's with W's?   As you guys might imagine, there's a real trickle-down effect going on with the RPI.   Armwood just went from 7-2 to 4-5.   That hurts the teams that played them and the teams that played those teams . . . unless those teams all played the other three schools too, in which case it probably evens out. 

I'm wondering if the RPI has been adjusted or if the FHSAA will simply wait and readjust after tonight's games?

That is a good question.  Sorry I don't have the answer but I'm interested to see how this plays out.

To me, the most important issue is whether any one of those three games that Armwood had to forfeit were part of the Pick 'Ems contest and, if so, did anyone pick Gaither or Steinbrenner to win?   (I know nobody would have picked Strawberry Crest to win).   This could have a huge impact on who ends up winning the big cash prize!!!     :D

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

In an attempt to answer my own question, here's what I have found out so far:

In MaxPreps, the records reflect the changed outcome based on the forfeit.  Armwood is now 4-5 (instead of 7-2); Gaither is 6-4 (instead of 5-5) and Steinbrenner is now 7-3 (instead of 6-4).  I didn't bother to look at Strawberry Crest. 

But, on the FHSAA website, where the RPI's are all listed, it still shows those schools with their pre-forfeit records.  So, no adjustments have been made yet. 

4 minutes ago, Jullian said:

Crazy thing is the player who is responsible for the forfeits, will b playing tonight. He sat out last 3 games. (From a reliable fan & follower of Armwood). 

That is correct.   The player was ineligible when Armwood played Gaither, Steinbrenner and Crest, but has since been declared eligible.  So, he can play tonight and will be eligible to play in the playoffs if Armwood manages to get one of the four wildcard spots in 7A, Region 3.  

Right now (i.e., before taking into account the forfeits), Armwood had the 5 seed in Region 3 with an RPI of .672.  But that's based on a winning percentage of .778.   When you change the W's to L's, their winning percentage drops down to .444.  Without making any adjustments to the Opponent's Winning Percentage or the Opponent's Opponent's Winning Percentage (which, admittedly, will go up ever-so-marginally when the other teams get credit for wins instead of losses), Armwood's RPI drops from .672 to around .555 . . . which puts them in the same ballpark as the current 8 seed (Largo, at .563) and the current 9 seed (Gaither, at .549).  Once the games have been played tonight, the numbers and the seeds will change.   What remains to be seen is whether Armwood holds onto to a playoff birth or not.   If they do, they're likely to slide in at the 8 spot, which means Tampa Bay Tech would be rewarded with its No. 1 seed by playing Armwood in the opening round of the playoffs.   Crazy, huh?

3 minutes ago, Perspective said:

That is correct.   The player was ineligible when Armwood played Gaither, Steinbrenner and Crest, but has since been declared eligible.  So, he can play tonight and will be eligible to play in the playoffs if Armwood manages to get one of the four wildcard spots in 7A, Region 3.  

Right now (i.e., before taking into account the forfeits), Armwood had the 5 seed in Region 3 with an RPI of .672.  But that's based on a winning percentage of .778.   When you change the W's to L's, their winning percentage drops down to .444.  Without making any adjustments to the Opponent's Winning Percentage or the Opponent's Opponent's Winning Percentage (which, admittedly, will go up ever-so-marginally when the other teams get credit for wins instead of losses), Armwood's RPI drops from .672 to around .555 . . . which puts them in the same ballpark as the current 8 seed (Largo, at .563) and the current 9 seed (Gaither, at .549).  Once the games have been played tonight, the numbers and the seeds will change.   What remains to be seen is whether Armwood holds onto to a playoff birth or not.   If they do, they're likely to slide in at the 8 spot, which means Tampa Bay Tech would be rewarded with its No. 1 seed by playing Armwood in the opening round of the playoffs.   Crazy, huh?

Yeah it sounds complicated to say the least! If they do make it, like u said & was telling my buddy, how unfair to earn the #1 seed & find out u playing Armwood!!!! Crazy is right.