Large Class Finals 5A through 8A Predictions

DarterBlue2

Okay, so one week left and football is finished for this season in Florida. Here are my predictions/thoughts on the four games left:

8A

Osceola vs Flanagan - I think Flanagan wins this game which I expect to be low scoring by say 21-14. Osceola has the ability to compete physically with Flanagan, but I don't think it has the offensive creativity to score 21 or more points against a very solid, hard tackling, Flanagan defense. And I think Flanagan will score just enough to win its first state title.

7A 

St. Thomas Aquinas vs Viera - This can only be characterized as a David vs Goliath game. I am going to go out on a limb and pick a shocking upset: Viera beats St Thomas 24-21. Why, St. Thomas's victory against Braden River was not impressive. This is consistent with several of its wins this season.  In my opinion the final margin in the St. Thomas/BR  game overstated St. Thomas's win. Viera is in uncharted territory, but playing its best football of the season and seems to be very good through the air. I was very impressed with the way they beat Columbia and I think they are a team of destiny. This year's St. Thomas team is average by their high standards and is beatable. I think this team beats them.

6A

Miami Central vs Armwood - While Armwood had a great semi-final victory, overall I am not as impressed with them this year as I was last. And Central seems to have peaked at the right time. I am, therefore, going with Central in this game 42-28. Armwood keeps it close for three quarters, but Central pulls away in the fourth.

5A

Bishop Moore vs Wakulla - I feel Bishop Moore's path to this title game has been tougher than Wakulla's. Wakulla may have the best player on the field in Franks. However, Bishop Moore is the better team. Bishop Moore is going to win this game and I don't think it will be close. I expect a score of about Bishop Moore 45 Wakulla 17.

Comments or thoughts?

7A - I'm with you on that one. Viera has played against big and top schools, they'll be ready for anything STA throws at them. Picking the upset by one possession, Viera 14-7.

6A - Miami of course. Armwood is pretty good still, but they can't seem to ever beat Central. Not expecting a close game, but I think Central is going to light up in the first half and maintain their lead. Central 45-21. I haven't seen much game footage of Armwood so I can't comment on their style of play, but they did lose 5 star prospect Byron Cowart and a few other good kids. 

Okay, so one week left and football is finished for this season in Florida. Here are my predictions/thoughts on the four games left:

8A

Osceola vs Flanagan - I think Flanagan wins this game which I expect to be low scoring by say 21-14. Osceola has the ability to compete physically with Flanagan, but I don't think it has the offensive creativity to score 21 or more points against a very solid, hard tackling, Flanagan defense. And I think Flanagan will score just enough to win its first state title.

7A 

St. Thomas Aquinas vs Viera - This can only be characterized as a David vs Goliath game. I am going to go out on a limb and pick a shocking upset: Viera beats St Thomas 24-21. Why, St. Thomas's victory against Braden River was not impressive. This is consistent with several of its wins this season.  In my opinion the final margin in the St. Thomas/BR  game overstated St. Thomas's win. Viera is in uncharted territory, but playing its best football of the season and seems to be very good through the air. I was very impressed with the way they beat Columbia and I think they are a team of destiny. This year's St. Thomas team is average by their high standards and is beatable. I think this team beats them.

6A

Miami Central vs Armwood - While Armwood had a great semi-final victory, overall I am not as impressed with them this year as I was last. And Central seems to have peaked at the right time. I am, therefore, going with Central in this game 42-28. Armwood keeps it close for three quarters, but Central pulls away in the fourth.

5A

Bishop Moore vs Wakulla - I feel Bishop Moore's path to this title game has been tougher than Wakulla's. Wakulla may have the best player on the field in Franks. However, Bishop Moore is the better team. Bishop Moore is going to win this game and I don't think it will be close. I expect a score of about Bishop Moore 45 Wakulla 17.

Comments or thoughts?

8A -  Flanagan/Osceola This game will be interesting .  Doesn't Osceola run a Double Wing T?  How do we know Flanagan will be able to stop it?   Flanagan Defense relies off a lot of blitzing which could be useless if the ball is not there.  I will have to look into and learn a little about that Osceola Offense.  

7A - I also got this 24-21 but I have STA.  Their Kicker will be the edge in this game.

6A -  Agree .  Armwood could trade blows with Central for 3 Quarters but eventually the Central Defense will be overwhelming.

5A - I got Bishop Moore pulling out a 38 - 20 victory over Wakulla.

8A -  Flanagan/Osceola This game will be interesting .  Doesn't Osceola run a Double Wing T?  How do we know Flanagan will be able to stop it?   Flanagan Defense relies off a lot of blitzing which could be useless if the ball is not there.  I will have to look into and learn a little about that Osceola Offense.  

7A - I also got this 24-21 but I have STA.  Their Kicker will be the edge in this game.

6A -  Agree .  Armwood could trade blows with Central for 3 Quarters but eventually the Central Defense will be overwhelming.

5A - I got Bishop Moore pulling out a 38 - 20 victory over Wakulla.

Regarding Flanagan vs Osceola, if Devin Bush Sr. is a student of the game as well as a former participant at the highest level, Osceola's offense should be very stoppable. They run a veer similar to what the Apopka and Armwood teams of the early 2000s ran. Yes, that offense gave Miami Northwestern and Booker T. Washington fits back then (or for that matter West Orange Friday night). But as St. Thomas Aquinas showed last year it is very stoppable when you have the right defensive personnel and the right game plan for it. I am pretty sure Flanagan has the right personnel based on how they have shut down teams when at full strength this year. Will they have the right game plan? I don't know. If Flanagan loses, the loss will be on Flanagan, due to failure to prepare adequately for Osceola's offense.

Last year, St. Thomas held Osceola to a net 38 total yards. Wilson had like 7 or 8 from about 18 rushing attempts. You can't make this up; a team with a stellar defensive line and good linebackers should really stop this Osceola offense. If Flanagan does so, it may be the best thing that could ever happen to Osceola. Embarrassing losses in back to back state title games, may finally open some eyes as to where the game has evolved ... but perhaps I hope for too much.

8A

7A

St. Thomas Aquinas vs Viera - This can only be characterized as a David vs Goliath game. I am going to go out on a limb and pick a shocking upset: Viera beats St Thomas 24-21. Why, St. Thomas's victory against Braden River was not impressive. This is consistent with several of its wins this season. In my opinion the final margin in the St. Thomas/BR game overstated St. Thomas's win. Viera is in uncharted territory, but playing its best football of the season and seems to be very good through the air. I was very impressed with the way they beat Columbia and I think they are a team of destiny. This year's St. Thomas team is average by their high standards and is beatable. I think this team beats them.

6A

5A

Comments or thoughts?

I think Flannigan comes out and beat Oseceola something like 24-10.. Flanningan is determine to win this ship and with Devin Bush playing in the highest level before he will get he's boys ready... Look how they destroyed a pretty good Columbus team which I knew they were gonna dominate them... They be up for the challenge...

STA vs Viera I got STA in something like 34-20... I know STAhavent been playing in the level we all expected them to play and I think it something going on with some of the players such as Sam Bruce.. He's first mins of burn was in the 3rd qt.... What's up with that? Viera new in the scene... Great story but it's done for them this weekend....

MC vs Armwood this is payback for all the times Armwood use to beat BTW stopping them from going to state all those years back so it's catching up back with them now lol.... Um the emergence of qb Jerrod Thomas suprise me... He just has to put up 21 points and it's over... I think somebody said Armwood had a soft schedule idk if they did somebody let me know.... Got MC in something like 38-17...

Honestly I hope these games aren't blow outs....

Which I will be up there for the MC game and Flanningan game...

Kudos to Bishop Moore, FHSAA #1 Academic Football Team in 5A. 

Cumulative team grade point average of 3.262, ... that's a B+ or about an 89 team grade average for us old farts.

Making the state finals, and simultaneous top grades ain't easy to do.

Here's the FHSAA link to all Fall sports, all classifications, all teams that made the cut;

http://www.fhsaa.org/node/22943