Greatest High School Football Games in History

DisabledAccount

i saw this trend on another board and felt like bringing it into here, lol so what is the greatest high school football game you all have ever seen in the state of florida?

Best one I seen was Northwestern vs Jackson Soul bowl 2 in the playoffs in the old orange bowl... I was a freshmen at Central before I left to North Miami... That game had like 46,000 fans there with a classic finish...

A little context, Niceville has always beaten us (Crestview) every year. Every time the boys got on the bus or the Eagles came to us, Crestview gets smashed no matter what happens. This game was amazing because for the first time in 30 YEARS, we beat Niceville. If you seen my other posts, you know Niceville is an amazing program, and that year they went to State championship in which they lost to Dwyer. The only loss on their main season record was from a rival team that hasn't beaten them in 30 years. You can type CHS Bulldogs vs Niceville to see all 4 quarters, 

Very awesome, everyone including alumni and coaches were excited because it was a special moment to be apart of and see. 

That Lakeland vs STA 06' game... wow just craziness. 

A little context, Niceville has always beaten us (Crestview) every year. Every time the boys got on the bus or the Eagles came to us, Crestview gets smashed no matter what happens. This game was amazing because for the first time in 30 YEARS, we beat Niceville. If you seen my other posts, you know Niceville is an amazing program, and that year they went to State championship in which they lost to Dwyer. The only loss on their main season record was from a rival team that hasn't beaten them in 30 years. You can type CHS Bulldogs vs Niceville to see all 4 quarters, 

Very awesome, everyone including alumni and coaches were excited because it was a special moment to be apart of and see. 

That Lakeland vs STA 06' game... wow just craziness. 

that was unbeilivable, so how come it was a 29 year losing streak, was it just talent being too much of a gap or were niceville just more prepared to play each game

My bad!  Thank you DarterBlue2.  I copied and pasted the wrong game that I was looking for.  Same teams, different year.  It was 2006.....I'm getting old I guess.

The last 1/2 quarter was pretty exciting. The previous 3 1/2 were some sloppy football. Lakeland was lucky St. Thomas did not find their game until it was too late.

1984 Manatee/Lakeland was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ekQGERDMWw

that was unbeilivable, so how come it was a 29 year losing streak, was it just talent being too much of a gap or were niceville just more prepared to play each game

Talent, and more prepared... coach Hicks has been at it for 30+ years with the Niceville program. 

Niceville actually is right next to the air force base here, and some of my teachers always believedNiceville recruited the best kids in the county under the radar. Most of the time though, when a kid moves here he has the choice of several different high schools. If football is your game, you will congregate to Niceville. One of my friend's friends did his freshman year here at Crestview and then transferred to Niceville to play basketball because he thought it would be a better opportunity since when I was a sophomore and freshman, we had a not so good coach ever who didn't care about the game (I don't mean to be mean, the guy was an awesome science teacher, and I felt like he was just thrown into basketball because no one else was qualified enough to coach). Same thing happened to another kid, the last coach didn't help the program much and that kid went to Choctaw to get a better opportunity. 

But, it was not technically 29 years I should mention. The teams got reclassed into different classes and districts, last time we played them was in the 80s, and throughout we may have played them once or twice and lost. But 2007 was when it changed and we started playing Niceville on a consistent basis, the only time we came close to winning was 2010 when Niceville got by with a single point. 

Like any rivalry there have been the things kids do to show their support. When I was at Crestview, Niceville actually stained the field with a certain material that killed the grass and they shaped it like a certain organ lol. The other thing that happened was a social media rumor that everyone at Crestview high likes to do things to a goat. And there have been rap songs that tried to dis us. 

Back in the 80s, my english teacher said we went to Niceville, picked up their eagle from outside the school and threw it in the closest river. While Niceville did the same thing with our bulldog. 

Overall, that was a special moment to witness Niceville losing for the first time in 30 or so years. Although, they went to state and lost to Dwyer that year. 

My bad!  Thank you DarterBlue2.  I copied and pasted the wrong game that I was looking for.  Same teams, different year.  It was 2006.....I'm getting old I guess.

I would say this game had the best fourth quarter and beyond (overtime). For the first three quarters it was somewhat sloppy considering the caliber of the teams playing. I felt then and still do that St. Thomas crossed the plane on its final play. But it was very close and the call went against them.

The three most entertaining games I have ever seen in no particular order were: 2006 State Semifinal Lake Brantley/Boone - In a wild second half Brantley won 34-31. At the half, Boone led 3-0; 2012 State championship - Apopka vs Cypress Bay - Apopka 53 to 50 winner; 2015 Regional Final Bishop Moore vs Hallandale - BM won 51-46. 

Two great defensive struggles I have seen were: 2003 State Semifinal, Carol City vs Killian - Carol City won 3-0 at the old Orange Bowl; and, 2003, Edgewater vs Mainland, Mainland 13-7.

one of best games i ever saw was 2014 week 1 @ Gainsville at citizens field, columbia went into overtime and won on a 2 point conversion 44-43 final in OT also kickoff 2014 vs west orange, down 26 points with like 3 minutes lefted in 2nd quarter we scored 28 unanswered to take the lead and eventually win 35-34 

Best one I seen was Northwestern vs Jackson Soul bowl 2 in the playoffs in the old orange bowl... I was a freshmen at Central before I left to North Miami... That game had like 46,000 fans there with a classic finish...

I believe that was the game where Antonio Bryant and the amazing catch in the end zone to win the game. Great Game. 

Here is a game for you all and it was recent.

2014 Second Round 8-A Playoff Game between Flanigan & Monarch

The action started even before the game began, as Flanigan was getting off the buses and coming on to the field the Monarch players were there and waiting and before you knew both teams started going after it as the coaches tried in vain to seperate them, it took nearly 15 minutes to get both teams on their respective sides of the field. Coach Devin Bush was so fired up that it did indeed inspire Flanigan. This pissed Devin Bush off so much that when the game ended he would not shake hands with the Monarch coaches.

The first half was dominated by Flanigan and when Flanigan through a long pass down the sidelines with only seconds left before halftime most thought the game to be over as Flanigan led 21-6 at the half. Monarch played bad and committed 3 turnovers in the first half. And as the second half started Monarch was a 3 and out and punted, and here is where the game changed, Flanigan returned the punt for a touchdown to go up 27-6, but the return was called back because of a penalty on Flanigan. This fired up Monarch and you could sense a change, Monarch held them got the ball back, drove down the field scored a touchdown and 2 point conversion and as the 4th quarter started it was 21-14, but Monarch on the next 2 drives threw interceptions, but the defense held and with just under 2 minutes left Monarch scored a touchdown to tie the game and it went into overtime.

In overtime Flanigan scored first but missed the PAT, The Monarch did not do much as it turned into 4th from the 5 yard line, so on this play Monarch was throwing to Cavin Ridley Flanigan was called for pass interference, but in High School that is not an automatic first down, but the ball was placed on the 1 yard line so it now became 4th down again from the 1 yard line and Monarch tried a quarterback sneak and Flanigan held them as he did not gain much and the game ended there. Great game as Flanigan had a very strong team, but Monarch lost Calvin Ridley earlier in the season due to age requirements. Had they had him all season I think they had what it took to win it all. He was a dominant player and Monarch had other weapons as well, but you throw Calvin Ridley into the mix and even Flanigans defense would have had to account for him. But a great game and atmoshere.

But the transfer rules really affected Monarch this year, a few key players from that Monarch team transfered to Deerfield Beach for this season and they really lifted Deerfield Beach up this season, so along with graduation, transfers, the coach suddenly resigning a few months before the season, totally decimated Monarch to the point it will be awhile before they can compete with the top teams in Broward again.

I

Here is a game for you all and it was recent.

2014 Second Round 8-A Playoff Game between Flanigan & Monarch

The action started even before the game began, as Flanigan was getting off the buses and coming on to the field the Monarch players were there and waiting and before you knew both teams started going after it as the coaches tried in vain to seperate them, it took nearly 15 minutes to get both teams on their respective sides of the field. Coach Devin Bush was so fired up that it did indeed inspire Flanigan. This pissed Devin Bush off so much that when the game ended he would not shake hands with the Monarch coaches.

The first half was dominated by Flanigan and when Flanigan through a long pass down the sidelines with only seconds left before halftime most thought the game to be over as Flanigan led 21-6 at the half. Monarch played bad and committed 3 turnovers in the first half. And as the second half started Monarch was a 3 and out and punted, and here is where the game changed, Flanigan returned the punt for a touchdown to go up 27-6, but the return was called back because of a penalty on Flanigan. This fired up Monarch and you could sense a change, Monarch held them got the ball back, drove down the field scored a touchdown and 2 point conversion and as the 4th quarter started it was 21-14, but Monarch on the next 2 drives threw interceptions, but the defense held and with just under 2 minutes left Monarch scored a touchdown to tie the game and it went into overtime.

In overtime Flanigan scored first but missed the PAT, The Monarch did not do much as it turned into 4th from the 5 yard line, so on this play Monarch was throwing to Cavin Ridley Flanigan was called for pass interference, but in High School that is not an automatic first down, but the ball was placed on the 1 yard line so it now became 4th down again from the 1 yard line and Monarch tried a quarterback sneak and Flanigan held them as he did not gain much and the game ended there. Great game as Flanigan had a very strong team, but Monarch lost Calvin Ridley earlier in the season due to age requirements. Had they had him all season I think they had what it took to win it all. He was a dominant player and Monarch had other weapons as well, but you throw Calvin Ridley into the mix and even Flanigans defense would have had to account for him. But a great game and atmoshere.

But the transfer rules really affected Monarch this year, a few key players from that Monarch team transfered to Deerfield Beach for this season and they really lifted Deerfield Beach up this season, so along with graduation, transfers, the coach suddenly resigning a few months before the season, totally decimated Monarch to the point it will be awhile before they can compete with the top teams in Broward again.

I

I remember this game well.  Great game and yes it would have been better if Calvin Ridley was 6 months younger and played.  That would have made a difference but at the same time LB Devin Bush Jr. was out for Flanagan with a broken wrist.    Two big time players there. I remember Miami and Al Golden thought they were getting Calvin Ridley.   Obviously , Ridley made a wise decision there going to ' Bama .  I heard Calvin Davis the Monarch coach got in some situation with Alabama recruiting or something and resigned for "personal reasons".  He then took his staff over to Deerfield Beach along with most of the key players.  I heard a couple of solid players went to Coconut Creek as well.

Deerfield Beach was a damn good team this year.  Let me ask you this @ Monarch .  How would you rank these three teams - Monarch 2014 (without Calvin Ridley) , Deerfield Beach 2015, Coconut Creek 2015.  I am thinking something like this:

Overall

1. Monarch 2014

2. Deerfield Beach 2015

3. Coconut Creek 2015

Offense

1. Coconut Creek 2015

2. Monarch 2014

3. Deerfield Beach 2015

Defense

1. Deerfield Beach 2015

2. Monarch 2014

3. Coconut Creek 2015

@Hwy17 Wow... defensive battle and they do say defense wins games.

Yes it was but there was a lot of offense in that game too.  But each time one team made a big play and get in the red zone, the other would come up with a defensive stop.  Both teams scored in the first quarter and then the defenses took over.  Rockledge had a chance to kick a game winning field goal but went for it on 4th down with seconds left.  Hardee stopped them and we went into OT.  The first OT ended with neither team scoring.  In the 2nd OT, Hardee held Rockledge on three plays before they kicked the fg.  Then Hardee ran three straight power sweeps getting 3 yards and the game winning TD.   Great overall game and the crowd was estimated to be around 6000.

Broward I agree with your rankings, except on the offense I think Monarch was more explosive then this years Coconut Creek team, but we are splitting hairs as they both were dynamic. You could ask 10 people that question and have 5 people agree and 5 disagree.

As for this year Flanigan I believe will have their way with Osceola, Flanigans defense is very stoudt and although I do not know much about Osceola, they seem to be more of a running team and that plays right into Flanigan's strength. I saw West Orange a couple of times and I thought they would have been tougher for Flanigan as West Orange impressed me offensively, but their defense although good, would have eventually buckled to Flanigan. But they did not make it, you have to give Osceola credit. Flanigan took a punch from Columbia at the beginning of the game, withstood it and then completely dominated that game, do not let the 30-17 score fool you, this was 30 - 3 game when Flanigan called the dogs off. This game surprised me as I thought this would be a competitive game down to the end, and as it turned out not much of a challenge for Flanigan.  

I see St. Thomas winning as well, but they seem to be just a methodical team, just goind along doing their business and at the end they win 28-13