Columbia could have won another title

nolebull813

Back in November 1964, The Wildwood Wildcats were 9-0 and looking to be shut out the playoffs due to the fact they were sitting behind 9-0-1 Lake Wales because Lake Wales played one more class A team than Wildwood so had more points to qualify for the playoffs. 

Wildwood was slated to play class B Lake Weir in which they could have beaten by 100, and still would have been left out of the playoffs. 

So a week before the Lake Weir game, Wildwood knew this so they dropped Lake Weir and replaced them with class A Eustis. Wildwood won the game against Eustis 27-13 and it vaulted them past Lake Wales into the playoffs

They beat Chaminade 28-12 then eked out a win against Columbia 12-7 in the state championship game to finish 12-0.

Lake Wales lost to Winter Haven in the Polk County Bowl. Lol. 

So you would have to think Columbia would have beaten Lake Wales or Chaminade if Wildwood didn’t get to choose their opponent on the last week of the season to gain eligibility. LMAO!!

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Back in November 1964, The Wildwood Wildcats were 9-0 and looking to be shut out the playoffs due to the fact they were sitting behind 9-0-1 Lake Wales because Lake Wales played one more class A team than Wildwood so had more points to qualify for the playoffs. 

Wildwood was slated to play class B Lake Weir in which they could have beaten by 100, and still would have been left out of the playoffs. 

So a week before the Lake Weir game, Wildwood knew this so they dropped Lake Weir and replaced them with class A Eustis. Wildwood won the game against Eustis 27-13 and it vaulted them past Lake Wales into the playoffs

They beat Chaminade 28-12 then eked out a win against Columbia 12-7 in the state championship game to finish 12-0.

So you would have to think Columbia would have beaten Lake Wales or Chaminade if Wildwood didn’t get to choose their opponent on the last week of the season to gain eligibility. LMAO!!

Thanks for sharing that great story as those were during my memorable HS years ('63-'66) and when we were in the old OBC conference that was usually dominated by Wildwood.  Our senior year we did manage a victory against them 13-7 to give us a chance at the conference title to only get beaten the following week by the Apopka Blue Darters; they ended up conference champs.  Great memories though.

3 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Thanks for sharing that great story as those were during my memorable HS years ('63-'66) and when we were in the old OBC conference that was usually dominated by Wildwood.  Our senior year we did manage a victory against them 13-7 to give us a chance at the conference title to only get beaten the following week by the Apopka Blue Darters; they ended up conference champs.  Great memories though.

Jack Yearwood was the coach. 27-15 from (63-66). Tangelo Bowl win vs Eustis in 64

10 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Nolebull, something tells me you're trying to bust ColumboFan's balls on the sly....tell me it ain't so   :)

2 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Jack Yearwood was the coach. 27-15 from (63-66). Tangelo Bowl win vs Eustis in 64

He was the head coach and Henry Ramsey JV coach, also varsity assistant (OL).  Our football field was recently named after the latter as he was the most respected of the two and served in that capacity for decades.  Won't comment on the forum what players nickname was for Yearwood.

29 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

He was the head coach and Henry Ramsey JV coach, also varsity assistant (OL).  Our football field was recently named after the latter as he was the most respected of the two and served in that capacity for decades.  Won't comment on the forum what players nickname was for Yearwood.

NoleBull, just went to pull old yearbooks starting my 8th grade year as some of your stats didn't seem right regarding record and years Jack Yearwood  was head coach.  Below are the correct stats for that time period.

61-62 ......... 10-0,   62-63 .........  6-2-2,    63-64 ........  7-3,   64-65 ......... 8-3  &  65-66 ......... 7-3  for a combined record during that span for Coach Yearwood of 38-11-2.  You are correct that in the 64-65 year we ended up beating Eustis in the Tangelo Bowl by a score of  14-0.  That is the same year Wildwood won the state championship and they beat us in the regular season by a score of 15-7.  My memory fails me on how many additional years Yearwood coached as I was sent overseas to college for a couple of years and lost track of that.

On 11/15/2021 at 8:48 AM, nolebull813 said:

As long as they didn't play Lee High School aka Riverside in the playoffs they might have had a shot.

12 hours ago, badbird said:

As long as they didn't play Lee High School aka Riverside in the playoffs they might have had a shot.

I can't see madison losing in the playoffs this year, they match the talent level of too many great teams. But I will say their inability to throw the ball hurts them badly.  And not having Fleming makes their run game less explosive.  Thanks lowndes.... if lowndes wins send rings to madison for stealing they best player.  Lowndes must not be that good taking other teams players . Taylor County got some guys up there.  This bigger/ private schools not that good at creating talent.  

10 hours ago, Jesse said:

I can't see madison losing in the playoffs this year, they match the talent level of too many great teams. But I will say their inability to throw the ball hurts them badly.  And not having Fleming makes their run game less explosive.  Thanks lowndes.... if lowndes wins send rings to madison for stealing they best player.  Lowndes must not be that good taking other teams players . Taylor County got some guys up there.  This bigger/ private schools not that good at creating talent.  

How the hell did you turn this into a Madison thread?