Playing A Tough Schedule To Prepare You To Possibly win it all VS having the talent & the coaching (TO) win it all.

THIS_IS_DILLARD

Over the last week or so this topic has been on my mind, then recently I was tuning into the Miami central vs Killian game. & a lot of Miami central fans was downing killian record & success saying “THEY HAVENT PLAYED ANYONE”

& the fans of MNW & MC teams to say they that about their opposition a lot “THEY HAVENT PLAYED NOBODY”

which brings me to these questions 

#1. what teams fit under the umbrella as (SOMEBODY) must they be nationally ranked ??

#2 does playing a nationally ranked schedule automatically prepares you for a deep playoff run ? 

because in my opinion you have to first have a state title caliber team & coaching staff before you can even think about a state title let alone playing national powerhouses. 

so as I see the fans from Miami that support the likes of Miami central & Miami northwestern it’s kind of easy for them to play national powerhouses when they recruit the team they have year in & year out. Poaching from little leagues & countless high schools, not hating just calling it for what it is. 

you can schedule all the tough teams you want but if your roster hasn’t been recruited or full of transfers to allow you to go toe to toe with another team in the playoffs that does the same, you will come out on the losing end more times then not. @Jullian @DarterBlue2 @VeniceIndiansFootball

If you are not loaded you should not play a national caliber schedule. If you want to make a playoff run, you can't play a schedule loaded with weak teams. If your district is weak, you must supplement your schedule with solid teams. If you don't, beginning in the second or at the latest, the third round, you will be overwhelmed by the level of talent and speed you are not used to seeing.

In many respects, the talent level at Apopka resembles the talent level currently at Dillard. Very solid, but not recruited through the roof. If you were to line up this year's schedules by these two teams for comparative purposes, you will see that Apopka was in a weak district, but supplemented the schedule with: West Orange, Dr. Phillips, Edgewater and Lakeland. All of those four teams were expected to be playoff contenders. Phillips had an unusual down year and disappointed. Outside of district, Dillard had: Deerfield Beach, Miramar, Plantation and Hallandale that were expected to be quality opponents. Unfortunately, Hallandale had a mid-summer meltdown and lost most of their impact players to Central, Killian and other schools. This hurt the Panthers schedule in that what would have been a competitive game suddenly became a blowout. 

Outside of the above, the rest of Dillard's schedule excluding district rival and national power, St. Thomas Aquinas, was weak. And that hurt in the playoffs and may have led to the Homestead loss and premature exit. 

From my perspective, it is not Dillard's fault that Deerfield turned out to be below their normal level (see DP above), nor is it their fault that Hallandale lost all its talent over the summer. And I know the Ely game is a tradition. However, Dillard should drop the Cooper Cities and Boyd Andersons from its schedule and replace them with expected playoff teams. That will better prepare them for the post season going forward. 

15 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If you are not loaded you should not play a national caliber schedule. If you want to make a playoff run, you can't play a schedule loaded with weak teams. If your district is weak, you must supplement your schedule with solid teams. If you don't, beginning in the second or at the latest, the third round, you will be overwhelmed by the level of talent and speed you are not used to seeing.

In many respects, the talent level at Apopka resembles the talent level currently at Dillard. Very solid, but not recruited through the roof. If you were to line up this year's schedules by these two teams for comparative purposes, you will see that Apopka was in a weak district, but supplemented the schedule with: West Orange, Dr. Phillips, Edgewater and Lakeland. All of those four teams were expected to be playoff contenders. Phillips had an unusual down year and disappointed. Outside of district, Dillard had: Deerfield Beach, Miramar, Plantation and Hallandale that were expected to be quality opponents. Unfortunately, Hallandale had a mid-summer meltdown and lost most of their impact players to Central, Killian and other schools. This hurt the Panthers schedule in that what would have been a competitive game suddenly became a blowout. 

Outside of the above, the rest of Dillard's schedule excluding district rival and national power, St. Thomas Aquinas, was weak. And that hurt in the playoffs and may have led to the Homestead loss and premature exit. 

From my perspective, it is not Dillard's fault that Deerfield turned out to be below their normal level (see DP above), nor is it their fault that Hallandale lost all its talent over the summer. And I know the Ely game is a tradition. However, Dillard should drop the Cooper Cities and Boyd Andersons from its schedule and replace them with expected playoff teams. That will better prepare them for the post season going forward. 

This is what blountstown needs to hear and baker,  union county, and others no matter the class. Scheduling terrible teams, then get boat race in playoffs, say whatever about madison,  they ain't ducking nobody. Blountstown said they can't find anyone. Nobody wants to play,  bs they to scared. Ran away from Florida high.

19 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I agree, but what I don’t think dade county fans understand is they disrespect nor take serious any team that don’t go out the state and play the type of schedule they play. 

which goes unsaid is the reason they’re able to play the type of schedule they do is because of the way they recruit and the amount of transfers they get. 

i firmly agree that if recruiting was strictly penalized & each school had to play with the kids that was verified to live in that zone you wouldn’t see these super teams & teams that load up their roster by stealing other schools best players. 

but since that’s not the case you have about 4-6 nationally ranked schools in Florida then the rest are good to very good teams praying that hopefully one year will be their year. 

yes playing tough teams help you see what’s to come in the playoffs depending on class, but all jokes aside if your roster nor coaching staff is not built to go toe to toe with a national powerhouse that’s standing in your way you’re going to be in trouble. 

13 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I agree, but what I don’t think dade county fans understand is they disrespect nor take serious any team that don’t go out the state and play the type of schedule they play. 

which goes unsaid is the reason they’re able to play the type of schedule they do is because of the way they recruit and the amount of transfers they get. 

i firmly agree that if recruiting was strictly penalized & each school had to play with the kids that was verified to live in that zone you wouldn’t see these super teams & teams that load up their roster by stealing other schools best players. 

but since that’s not the case you have about 4-6 nationally ranked schools in Florida then the rest are good to very good teams praying that hopefully one year will be their year. 

yes playing tough teams help you see what’s to come in the playoffs depending on class, but all jokes aside if your roster nor coaching staff is not built to go toe to toe with a national powerhouse that’s standing in your way you’re going to be in trouble. 

I agree and Madison would have 10 titles . Bc they the best with just they players other than miami or bowarad. And alot of Florida teams are good they play great schedules.  

1 hour ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Over the last week or so this topic has been on my mind, then recently I was tuning into the Miami central vs Killian game. & a lot of Miami central fans was downing killian record & success saying “THEY HAVENT PLAYED ANYONE”

& the fans of MNW & MC teams to say they that about their opposition a lot “THEY HAVENT PLAYED NOBODY”

which brings me to these questions 

#1. what teams fit under the umbrella as (SOMEBODY) must they be nationally ranked ??

#2 does playing a nationally ranked schedule automatically prepares you for a deep playoff run ? 

because in my opinion you have to first have a state title caliber team & coaching staff before you can even think about a state title let alone playing national powerhouses. 

so as I see the fans from Miami that support the likes of Miami central & Miami northwestern it’s kind of easy for them to play national powerhouses when they recruit the team they have year in & year out. Poaching from little leagues & countless high schools, not hating just calling it for what it is. 

you can schedule all the tough teams you want but if your roster hasn’t been recruited or full of transfers to allow you to go toe to toe with another team in the playoffs that does the same, you will come out on the losing end more times then not. @Jullian @DarterBlue2 @VeniceIndiansFootball

Big urban schools are always going to poach from smaller schools with less resources. It’s unfortunate but I understand why it happens and there’s not much that can be done to stop it at a local level. As far as scheduling, it would behoove any team that expects to make a deep playoff run to schedule some tough quality opponents. Don’t have to break your back playing the IMG’s and STA’s of the world but playing some tough area opponents (i.e, Cardinal Gibbons, American Heritage, Central,) would certainly help as you get an understanding of the physicality and power of other teams. Beating up on local garbage isn’t going to prepare you for an opponent like STA or AHP in the playoffs. Have to challenge yourself in order to bring your play to the next level.

Just now, Cat_Scratch said:

I totally agree that you need to play tough teams to prepare you for the playoffs. Teams with a tough playoff bracket and make it to the finals will be prepared for that championship game. 

Hope that Cocoa playing 2 soft teams in the playoffs don't come back to bite them.

Cocoa is a very tough, scrappy football team with a lot of heart. I met their Coach, Ryan Schneider in 2019. Really awesome guy who is dedicated to the game and his craft. He has those kids playing at a high level. I don’t think many teams are dying to meet the Tigers in the playoffs! 

9 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Cocoa is a very tough, scrappy football team with a lot of heart. I met their Coach, Ryan Schneider in 2019. Really awesome guy who is dedicated to the game and his craft. He has those kids playing at a high level. I don’t think many teams are dying to meet the Tigers in the playoffs! 

Cocoa is battle tested,  Madison needs to schedule them 

10 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Yes and no. Aside from STA, class 7A currently does not have loaded teams. Yes, it has many good teams, but Dillard as it currently is can compete and has a shot at beating all that stands in your way. If the goal is to win a state championship, it can be done. Now if the goal is to be in the National top 25 (a mythical ranking), then you need to match the Centrals and Northwesterns in recruiting. The way things currently are in the state, as long as your school is not at capacity, it is easy to do this if you are in a large metro area, since school choice exists for all intents and purposes. 

Down south schools are good but not on the same level as the northern end of Miami schools. The only school down south that's good year end and out is Palmetto and Columbus (private school).

As for Killian schedule they had a good schedule if you looking at it from the outside but from the inside it wasn't that good. Schools like Booker T. Washington, Carol City and Southridge are always good expect this year. The only real contenders were Miramar and Palmetto which is why Killian went 12-0. 

16 minutes ago, Jags904 said:

If you are preparing for a state title run, I think a schedule should be:

25% really tough games 50% games that should be within 2 scores 25% games you’ll win quite easily (aka homecoming). 

Unless you’re a top 50 national. Then you should be chasing ESPN games 

Blountstown and baker 100 percent easy.  Now madison 80 percent hard, 20 percent easy. 

The short Covid year messed with scheduling a bit, but Dillards out of district should be a little tougher next year. Typically BCAA in Broward takes the 33ish member schools and puts them in tiers based on previous years record. They use those tiers to make your out of district schedule to make sure games are competitive.  The exception would be if you hold a game for a rivalry (Dillard/ELY) or blackout a week to travel and play an out of county/state team.  That of course doesn’t account for a mass summer exodus like Hallandale or a team having an off year. 

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Yes and no. Aside from STA, class 7A currently does not have loaded teams. Yes, it has many good teams, but Dillard as it currently is can compete and has a shot at beating all that stands in your way. If the goal is to win a state championship, it can be done. Now if the goal is to be in the National top 25 (a mythical ranking), then you need to match the Centrals and Northwesterns in recruiting. The way things currently are in the state, as long as your school is not at capacity, it is easy to do this if you are in a large metro area, since school choice exists for all intents and purposes. 

I agree and disagree look at like this look at killian they stole have of Hallandale team to the point Hallandale was so effected they almost had to cancel their entire season (major respect to those that stayed and touched it out and remained loyal.)

but when it all boiled down to it Still could not beat nationally ranked Miami central, killian had the players but it also appears they didn’t have that (iT) factor I mentioned the other day. 

you can have 6’5 6’3 players in the trenches but if they’re soft as baby tissue they won’t withstand when you go against a team that has str8 dawgs in the trenches. Which is where most games are won and lost. 

you have very few coaches at our schools in south Florida that knows how to elevate their coaching come playoff time, just like you have very few teams who knows how to elevate their play come playoff time. Which also how you can have teams steamroll the regular season then the moment they meet a team in the playoffs that’s been there and done that they lose. 

You don't have to play an out of state team to have a competitive schedule. Venice does a good job putting together a tough schedule yearly. The same goes for Columbus, Northwestern, Chaminade, Cocoa, Central, American Hertiage and Gibbons to name a few others. Dillard is in South Florida so it should not be hard to schedule quality opponents and I'm not talking about Miramar or Plantation.  South Florida is full of state Champs and teams that make it to the state semis yearly. So having 3-4 of those teams on year schedule should prepare you for the playoffs.  

Recruiting in South Florida.... kids and their parents first choice is usually between STA, Central, American Hertiage, Gibbons, Chaminade, Northwestern and Columbus (no order).  Parents are knocking the doors down to get in those school. Stop acting like those school have to recruit, they are a brand. They are usually turning kids away. Kids want to play for championships and kids also like schools that get a lot of attention. Also those schools have stability with their coaching staff.  Most other schools in South Florida have a high turnover rate with the head coaches and staff which makes it hard to trust the process.

14 minutes ago, Supernatural said:

You don't have to play an out of state team to have a competitive schedule. Venice does a good job putting together a tough schedule yearly. The same goes for Columbus, Northwestern, Chaminade, Cocoa, Central, American Hertiage and Gibbons to name a few others. Dillard is in South Florida so it should not be hard to schedule quality opponents and I'm not talking about Miramar or Plantation.  South Florida is full of state Champs and teams that make it to the state semis yearly. So having 3-4 of those teams on year schedule should prepare you for the playoffs.  

Recruiting in South Florida.... kids and their parents first choice is usually between STA, Central, American Hertiage, Gibbons, Chaminade, Northwestern and Columbus (no order).  Parents are knocking the doors down to get in those school. Stop acting like those school have to recruit, they are a brand. They are usually turning kids away. Kids want to play for championships and kids also like schools that get a lot of attention. Also those schools have stability with their coaching staff.  Most other schools in South Florida have a high turnover rate with the head coaches and staff which makes it hard to trust the process.

Madison a brand to

5 hours ago, Supernatural said:

What you're saying is accurate but schools like Central and Northwestern have home grown talent. Yes they do get transfers in but not the whole team and remember everyone pretty much knows each other from the little league parks in the communities.