COLLEGE RECRUTING JUST GOT A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE

Ray Icaza

Just read where Univ. of Texas boosters have pooled their money into a charity and will be paying $50K per offensive lineman under the NIL umbrella.  When this was happening under the table, it was not nearly as expensive as it now has openly become an arms race for talent.  Another case of the rich getting richer as I am sure colleges in our state will necessarily follow suit to compete for 3*, 4* and 5* talent.  What unintended consequences will start to appear down the road on the high school level for the sake of fielding a winning team?  And how will this "Investment" in talent produce a good "Return" with the transfer portal??  What a cluster.

With 2 minutes left in the fourth quarter, it looks like TCA will claim the first championship as they lead 34-23.

3 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Just read where Univ. of Texas boosters have pooled their money into a charity and will be paying $50K per offensive lineman under the NIL umbrella.  When this was happening under the table, it was not nearly as expensive as it now has openly become an arms race for talent.  Another case of the rich getting richer as I am sure colleges in our state will necessarily follow suit to compete for 3*, 4* and 5* talent.  What unintended consequences will start to appear down the road on the high school level for the sake of fielding a winning team?  And how will this "Investment" in talent produce a good "Return" with the transfer portal??  What a cluster.

With 2 minutes left in the fourth quarter, it looks like TCA will claim the first championship as they lead 34-23.

Well it seems that College football is headed for the crapper. It's going to put that much more divide between the haves and have nots.

14 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

50k sign me up damn. That's crazy man I would be going nuts with just 5k. Bryce young got millions man. College sports crazy everyone eats for real

5 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Well it seems that College football is headed for the crapper. It's going to put that much more divide between the haves and have nots.

I first reported on the Quinn Ewers saga several months ago when he decided to forego his last year of HS and transfer to Ohio State to cash in on the NIL ruling.   My understanding is that he signed for several $100K as a member of that school, hasn't played a down and now entered the transfer portal with his likely destination of Texas or Texas Tech.  I repeat,  "WHAT A CLUSTER"!

11 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

I first reported on the Quinn Ewers saga several months ago when he decided to forego his last year of HS and transfer to Ohio State to cash in on the NIL ruling.   My understanding is that he signed for several $100K as a member of that school, hasn't played a down and now entered the transfer portal with his likely destination of Texas or Texas Tech.  I repeat,  "WHAT A CLUSTER"!

I don't care how talented that kid is, I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole.   From what I've seen, the kid has no heart and couldn't spell "commitment" if you spotted him the "c," the "m," the "i," the "e," and the "t."  

1 hour ago, Terrapin said:

I like the idea of it. Athletes are putting their bodies on the line for this game. They have to get a cut of the pie considering the crazy salaries for Kelly, Cristobal, etc.

The whole financial framework is warped, be it for players, coaches, agents, etc...  If you believe in your argument about athletes putting their bodies on the line for this game, wouldn't that apply to HS??  What about them??  Youth leagues??  What about them??  In other words, where does it end.

37 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

The whole financial framework is warped, be it for players, coaches, agents, etc...  If you believe in your argument about athletes putting their bodies on the line for this game, wouldn't that apply to HS??  What about them??  Youth leagues??  What about them??  In other words, where does it end.

It would, but there is a difference. Most high school programs don't generate a lot of money from gates receipts, TV, etc. And the coaches in most states (not all) are not particularly well compensated. Big time college football has a lot of money sloshing around and many HBCs who are the highest compensated individuals by a big margin at their respective colleges. 

In short, it claims to be amateur but the money indicates otherwise.  In such situations, it is usually only a matter of time before the troops and their representatives rebel. Currently we are seeing this playout. Where it goes will only be told by time ...

3 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

It would, but there is a difference. Most high school programs don't generate a lot of money from gates receipts, TV, etc. And the coaches in most states (not all) are not particularly well compensated. Big time college football has a lot of money sloshing around and many HBCs who are the highest compensated individuals by a big margin at their respective colleges. 

In short, it claims to be amateur but the money indicates otherwise.  In such situations, it is usually only a matter of time before the troops and their representatives rebel. Currently we are seeing this playout. Where it goes will only be told by time ...

All strong points for sure especially when you point out "Most" high schools don't generate a lot of money.  Same holds true for "Most" colleges thus even strong programs like Texas and Oklahoma are looking to strengthen their financial future by joining the strongest conference.  Locally, UCF is doing the same thing with their upcoming move.  HBC's at these blue blood schools are not just the highest paid at their respective colleges, but usually the highest paid public employee in the entire state.  I haven't researched our state situation when it compares what a coach at STA (private) or TCA (private) get paid compared to most coaches at public schools but my guess is they aren't comparable.  Maybe, someone on this forum knows the answer as I am curious in nature.  I do believe some publics find ways to compensate their HC for certain sports better as I know we have lost an individual for this reason at our school in the past.  Point being, it is bleeding into the HS across the country (CASH) and it isn't healthy for sports.

23 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

What you said... athletes getting paid under the table is one reason that they are putting it above the table. Remember when a certain Ohio State player was kicked out of football for selling his jersey?