Rationale for support of the offsides rule

skyway

17 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

What other NFHS rules do you have a problem with? 

Eek, not sure I have ever been asked to jump on my soapbox LOL...  All following statements are purely opinion that belong to me alone.  :rolleyes:

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is automatic first downs vs non-automatic first downs. I don't think defensive holding should warrant an automatic first down at any level. HS has that one right. Defensive PI, personal fouls, unsportsmanlike, should be an automatic first down. I get the 15 yards or 1/2 the distance instead of spot of foul for PI.  Many of the PI calls happen in the red zone or end zone. Sitting on 3rd and goal from the 15 and getting a PI at the 1 doesn't really "punish" the defense for the infraction. 

6 hours ago, Mike E said:

Eek, not sure I have ever been asked to jump on my soapbox LOL...  All following statements are purely opinion that belong to me alone.  :rolleyes:

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is automatic first downs vs non-automatic first downs. I don't think defensive holding should warrant an automatic first down at any level. HS has that one right. Defensive PI, personal fouls, unsportsmanlike, should be an automatic first down. I get the 15 yards or 1/2 the distance instead of spot of foul for PI.  Many of the PI calls happen in the red zone or end zone. Sitting on 3rd and goal from the 15 and getting a PI at the 1 doesn't really "punish" the defense for the infraction. 

All right, thank you.