GEICO Bowl returns

SportsNut25

The GEICO Bowl is BACK and Florida, once again, will be represented. ESPNU will broadcast the showdowns from Bishop Gorman HS. 

Chaminade-Madonna will challenge Highland (AZ) on Friday night at 10:30 p.m. EST. 

Collins Hill (GA) will challenge Graham-Kapowsin (WA) on Saturday at 4 p.m. EST. 

1 hour ago, SportsNut25 said:

The GEICO Bowl is BACK and Florida, once again, will be represented. ESPNU will broadcast the showdowns from Bishop Gorman HS. 

Chaminade-Madonna will challenge Highland (AZ) on Friday night at 10:30 p.m. EST. 

Collins Hill (GA) will challenge Graham-Kapowsin (WA) on Saturday at 4 p.m. EST. 

Date?

17 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Chaminade-Madonna (FL) beat Highland (AZ) on Friday night 35-24.

Graham-Kapowsin (WA) beat Collins Hill (GA) Saturday 40-36.

Sounds like both games were entertaining. 

So this is the meaning less title game for nationals. They should have a playoffs 

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

So this is the meaning less title game for nationals. They should have a playoffs 

So, all kidding aside Jesse, if you were king for the day, tell me how you would come up with a national playoff system?  Would every state get to participate?  If so, that's 50 teams, not including U.S. territories.   That would be at least 5 rounds of games to get to a final game.  If not, how do you decide who gets in and who doesn't? 

Also, how should each state determine its ultimate state champ?  Florida has 8 classifications, which actually makes it easy.  Should the Florida Ultimate Championship be seeded like the classifications?  Would the 8A champ play the 1A champ, 7 vs. 2, 6 vs. 3 and 5 vs. 4?  How would MadCo fare against Venice this year?  Wait, what do we do about the IMG's of the world?   Do they get to play?   Maybe 16 wildcard teams to create a nice even number like 64?  With  64 teams, it would take an extra 6 weeks to determine the champion once all the state winners have been determined . . . are you ready to play games through the end of January and into February?

OK, getting back on track, if you had a champions tournament in Florida, that would take at least three more weeks to determine the winner.   Presumably, every state would be similar.  How would you then seed all the state winners?  If you're a top 25 seed, do you get to host the first game?  Can you imagine a team from Mississippi having to travel to Colorado or Wyoming to play a game in a foot of snow?  Oh, by the way, who pays for all of this travel (planes, hotels, food, etc.)? 

Again, a true national championship game would be really cool, but the devil is in the details.   Start by answering all these questions and then I'll start asking the tough ones.  

13 minutes ago, Perspective said:

So, all kidding aside Jesse, if you were king for the day, tell me how you would come up with a national playoff system?  Would every state get to participate?  If so, that's 50 teams, not including U.S. territories.   That would be at least 5 rounds of games to get to a final game.  If not, how do you decide who gets in and who doesn't? 

Also, how should each state determine its ultimate state champ?  Florida has 8 classifications, which actually makes it easy.  Should the Florida Ultimate Championship be seeded like the classifications?  Would the 8A champ play the 1A champ, 7 vs. 2, 6 vs. 3 and 5 vs. 4?  How would MadCo fare against Venice this year?  Wait, what do we do about the IMG's of the world?   Do they get to play?   Maybe 16 wildcard teams to create a nice even number like 64?  With  64 teams, it would take an extra 6 weeks to determine the champion once all the state winners have been determined . . . are you ready to play games through the end of January and into February?

OK, getting back on track, if you had a champions tournament in Florida, that would take at least three more weeks to determine the winner.   Presumably, every state would be similar.  How would you then seed all the state winners?  If you're a top 25 seed, do you get to host the first game?  Can you imagine a team from Mississippi having to travel to Colorado or Wyoming to play a game in a foot of snow?  Oh, by the way, who pays for all of this travel (planes, hotels, food, etc.)? 

Again, a true national championship game would be really cool, but the devil is in the details.   Start by answering all these questions and then I'll start asking the tough ones.  

All I can say is Madison county could beat Venice.  Look at the schedules american Hertiage beat Cardinal Gibbons who beat Venice.  Trinity christian beat american Hertiage. Florida high smashed them. Madison beat Florida high so I believe Madison matches up talent.  Also Valdosta and Rickards, plus Columbia helps bc talent wise those are loaded rosters . Madison would hang. 

49 minutes ago, Jesse said:

All I can say is Madison county could beat Venice.  Look at the schedules american Hertiage beat Cardinal Gibbons who beat Venice.  Trinity christian beat american Hertiage. Florida high smashed them. Madison beat Florida high so I believe Madison matches up talent.  Also Valdosta and Rickards, plus Columbia helps bc talent wise those are loaded rosters . Madison would hang. 

OK, so MadCo goes on the road and upsets Venice in the opening round of the mythical Florida tournament of champions, but STA holds off a pesky TCA team to win their opening round game.   (By the way,  on the other side of the brackets, Jesuit knocks off Chaminade Madonna to stay unbeaten and Miami Central explodes in the second half to come back and beat Cardinal Gibbons).   So, MadCo takes their second long road trip in as many weeks and faces St. Thomas Aquinas.   Who wins that match-up?  

19 minutes ago, Perspective said:

OK, so MadCo goes on the road and upsets Venice in the opening round of the mythical Florida tournament of champions, but STA holds off a pesky TCA team to win their opening round game.   (By the way,  on the other side of the brackets, Jesuit knocks off Chaminade Madonna to stay unbeaten and Miami Central explodes in the second half to come back and beat Cardinal Gibbons).   So, MadCo takes their second long road trip in as many weeks and faces St. Thomas Aquinas.   Who wins that match-up?  

I like Madison again bc american Hertiage hung with st thomas and TCA hangs with st thomas.  Basically Madison can beat anyone if they play well and going off the fact that talent wise everyone is near the same level.  

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

You can't be serious lmao

Jesse, did you actually watch the Venice/Apopka game? Because that game wasn't as close as the 35-7 score. And Apopka is the team that just beat Treasure Coast 21-0.  Right now I think there are probably only 3 teams in Florida that can hang with Venice: Miami Central, Chaminade, and Aquinas. No offense, but your Madison County is nowhere near ready for that type of challenge. 

6 hours ago, Wellington said:

Jesse, did you actually watch the Venice/Apopka game? Because that game wasn't as close as the 35-7 score. And Apopka is the team that just beat Treasure Coast 21-0.  Right now I think there are probably only 3 teams in Florida that can hang with Venice: Miami Central, Chaminade, and Aquinas. No offense, but your Madison County is nowhere near ready for that type of challenge. 

Actually the Venice vs Apopka game was 14-7 going into halftime before the blown call by the official handed Venice a free TD to make it 21-7.  Apopka was limited on offense and that was going to be their demise going into the game, but that call was a back breaker.  Venice is definitely the champ of 8A this year, but at least 3 other teams could hang with them as was proven on the field:  Cocoa, Cardinal Gibbons and Jesuit.

3 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Actually the Venice vs Apopka game was 14-7 going into halftime before the blown call by the official handed Venice a free TD to make it 21-7.  Apopka was limited on offense and that was going to be their demise going into the game, but that call was a back breaker.  Venice is definitely the champ of 8A this year, but at least 3 other teams could hang with them as was proven on the field:  Cocoa, Cardinal Gibbons and Jesuit.

No american Hertiage the team that beat Gibbons or almost beat st thomas . And beat chaminade come on man , plus Hertiage was close with central.  Remember tho trinity beat American . I think madison would hang if they little brother can. 

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

How did the officials blow the call?   Oh, and my autograph is on its way.

(Channeling my inner Jambun this time). :D

In order to score a touchdown, a player is supposed to have possession of the ball having broken the plane of the goal line. Just having some fingers on the ball while standing in the end zone is not possession. It was obviously not a TD. That said, if memory serves, it was a 3rd and long they would have otherwise failed on, and their shaky punter would have been out to kick to a dangerous returner.  Venice certainly deserved to win decisively. But, any shot for Apopka to hang around and pull it out late was dashed after that call.

1 hour ago, skyway said:

In order to score a touchdown, a player is supposed to have possession of the ball having broken the plane of the goal line. Just having some fingers on the ball while standing in the end zone is not possession. It was obviously not a TD. That said, if memory serves, it was a 3rd and long they would have otherwise failed on, and their shaky punter would have been out to kick to a dangerous returner.  Venice certainly deserved to win decisively. But, any shot for Apopka to hang around and pull it out late was dashed after that call.

video?  anyone?

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

video?  anyone?

I saw the play he's referring to on Twitter and it was definitely an incomplete pass. But there's no telling what could've happened on the next play. Venice could've went for it and converted,  punted deep and made a stop, forced a turnover. Etc. At the end of the day the better team won.

11 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Ray, did you and I watch the same game? You said that one call was a "back breaker". As if that blown call made the difference in the game. Apopka was not going to win this game. Was their offense ever in the red zone? How many times did their offense even cross the 50 yard line? The only reason Apopka got 7 points is because Venice handed them an early Christmas present on a special teams blunder at their own 10 yard line. Venice won by 4 touchdowns and very nearly started running the clock. Why are we discussing this?!

35 minutes ago, Wellington said:

Ray, did you and I watch the same game? You said that one call was a "back breaker". As if that blown call made the difference in the game. Apopka was not going to win this game. Was their offense ever in the red zone? How many times did their offense even cross the 50 yard line? The only reason Apopka got 7 points is because Venice handed them an early Christmas present on a special teams blunder at their own 10 yard line. Venice won by 4 touchdowns and very nearly started running the clock. Why are we discussing this?!

I thought I was clear that the better team won.  That said, if the halftime score was 14-7 Apopka would have at least been within striking distance although it would have been an uphill battle without a doubt.  Going down 21-7 meant they had to abandon the run game which if you even watched Apopka during the regular season they tend to look sluggish then break off a 50 yard run and score.  Even the announcers labeled it a "Back Breaker" knowing Apopka's MO, so yes I did watch the game and so I stand by that description.  My other opinion that differs from yours is that there are more than 3 teams that can hang with Venice.  I thought this forum was designed to express one's views.  You did yours and I did mine, so we can respectfully disagree.