Merritt Island vs Miami Central

Seminole44

Miami Central is a force. Phenomenal athletes, fun to watch.  But who wins this game with no transfers?  Merritt Island players are from small Merritt Island. Not really a question that can be answered, but it’d be interesting to see how well teams do with homegrown talent ONLY.

p.s. Yes I’m from brevard…but not specifically Merritt Island

The fact that Merritt Island can make a final is a travesty. it’s a black eye and stain on the FHSAA. Teams like this should be getting booted out in the 1st and 2nd round of a real playoff. Not playing freaking Sebring for the right to make state. The classes are WAAAAAAYYYYY too watered down. We need to consolidate and do it now!!! 

Yes I was also very surprised they made it to the championship. But didn’t really answer the question…I’m just going to speculate by your response your answer is no chance even without transfers??

Also keep in mind. Just from an athlete/physical appearance standpoint it looked like Rockledge (which beat Deerfield) would beat Merritt Island….but MI easily handled them twice. 

Haha travesty…black eye…stain. Bit dramatic

7 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

The fact that Merritt Island can make a final is a travesty. it’s a black eye and stain on the FHSAA. Teams like this should be getting booted out in the 1st and 2nd round of a real playoff. Not playing freaking Sebring for the right to make state. The classes are WAAAAAAYYYYY too watered down. We need to consolidate and do it now!!! 

Saying what you said is a travesty. Those kids played a tough schedule, had to play 2 teams twice, didn’t lose to an in-state team until the final, and if you take out the 3 mins at end of the first half, it would of been a 2 score game. Also, that is a TEAM at MI, not a built squad. Don’t try to take anything away from them. 

Additionally, Merritt Island is 3rd in the state in playoff appearances. Brevard has some of the best, most consistent, and well-performing teams in the state, but always is overlooked cause we’re not ‘big.’ Brevard had the state’s top rusher, top kicker, and a heck of a lot of great kids. 

1 hour ago, Airek said:

Saying what you said is a travesty. Those kids played a tough schedule, had to play 2 teams twice, didn’t lose to an in-state team until the final, and if you take out the 3 mins at end of the first half, it would of been a 2 score game. Also, that is a TEAM at MI, not a built squad. Don’t try to take anything away from them. 

Additionally, Merritt Island is 3rd in the state in playoff appearances. Brevard has some of the best, most consistent, and well-performing teams in the state, but always is overlooked cause we’re not ‘big.’ Brevard had the state’s top rusher, top kicker, and a heck of a lot of great kids. 

They played a horrible schedule. Rockledge is overrated. Ducked Cocoa. I don’t think they beat a team ranked in the top 500 nationally. 

They got dusted by a bad Cairo team. 3 touchdowns. The game was a laugher from start to finish. Made it look like Florida teams don’t know what the hell they’re doing. 

I don’t care how MI is built. And I highly doubt they are 3rd in appearances. Can you post the link 

9 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Ducked Cocoa. Played Cocoa in the kickoff classic 34-13 I believe, before they got rolling. Cocoa = Transfers. Merritt Island = No transfers. 

When I think of travesty I think of unexpected loss of life to a young person.  Guess it’s all relative to different life experiences. But I guess you just shouldn’t take silly people seriously just as you wouldn’t get mad at a barking dog.

3 minutes ago, Seminole44 said:

Ducked Cocoa. Played Cocoa in spring game. 34-13 I believe, before they got rolling. Cocoa = Transfers. Merritt Island = No transfers. 

When I think of travesty I think of unexpected loss of life to a young person.  Guess it’s all relative to different life experiences. But I guess you just shouldn’t take silly people seriously just as you wouldn’t get mad at a barking dog.

You are thinking tragedy. Travesty means a distorted representative of something. That’s what MI being in a finals was. It was embarrassing. You had to put a disclaimer up and say “hey sorry but our classes are grossly watered down, so you can get mediocre teams like this in a finals.”

4 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

You are thinking tragedy. Travesty means a distorted representative of something. That’s what MI being in a finals was. It was embarrassing. You had to put a disclaimer up and say “hey sorry but our classes are grossly watered down, so you can get mediocre teams like this in a finals.”

Yep looked it up and def had travesty wrong. Oh well wanted an opinion. Didn’t totally stay on topic, but got an opinion. Take care

2 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

They played a horrible schedule. Rockledge is overrated. Ducked Cocoa. I don’t think they beat a team ranked in the top 500 nationally. 

They got dusted by a bad Cairo team. 3 touchdowns. The game was a laugher from start to finish. Made it look like Florida teams don’t know what the hell they’re doing. 

I don’t care how MI is built. And I highly doubt they are 3rd in appearances. Can you post the link 

Didn’t duck Cocoa, they just had them in kickoff classic. Half the games they played were against teams in the top 100 in Florida. 

As for the Cairo game, it was by far their worst game played. Combined that with the worst officiating about ever and you get a loss. Also, I’ve never heard of a principal walking onto the field to talk to the white hat to ask for a fair game, but that happened during that game it was so bad. 

I looked and for some reason the FHSAA didn’t include it in the latest update to the results archive. They were tied for #2 until missing 2 years ago if I remember correctly. 

No matter what, those kids fought hard, DESERVED to be there, and shouldn’t be disparaged in any way. And again, it’s a team built just from kids from a little 35,000 population island, not hand-picked kids from all over south florida. 

1 hour ago, Airek said:

Didn’t duck Cocoa, they just had them in kickoff classic. Half the games they played were against teams in the top 100 in Florida. 

As for the Cairo game, it was by far their worst game played. Combined that with the worst officiating about ever and you get a loss. Also, I’ve never heard of a principal walking onto the field to talk to the white hat to ask for a fair game, but that happened during that game it was so bad. 

I looked and for some reason the FHSAA didn’t include it in the latest update to the results archive. They were tied for #2 until missing 2 years ago if I remember correctly. 

No matter what, those kids fought hard, DESERVED to be there, and shouldn’t be disparaged in any way. And again, it’s a team built just from kids from a little 35,000 population island, not hand-picked kids from all over south florida. 

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

No link to post other than to the FHSAA records book in which that info along with a lot of other stuff has been removed when compared to past editions.  

Top 3 Appearances including 2021 season:

Bolles: 41
St. Thomas Aquinas: 39
Merritt Island: 36

I’m not trying to bash MI. The point I was trying to make was teams like MI could not make a finals in a playoff bracket that was consolidated and competitive. When you play Satellite and Sebring to make the finals, that’s proof the classes are way too watered down. These all might be good teams for their little area, but on a state scale they are not. Regardless of the makeup. 

20 hours ago, Seminole44 said:

Ducked Cocoa. Played Cocoa in the kickoff classic 34-13 I believe, before they got rolling. Cocoa = Transfers. Merritt Island = No transfers. 

Merritt Island actually had a couple transfers out and a couple came in too

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

The FHSAA scrubbed the playoff and finals information from their site? 

In the records book, they've taken away info such as most playoffs wins and the total playoff wins/losses for all participating schools for starters.  I've also notice quite a few errors in scores including inverted games, incorrect scores info and downright missing scores altogether.  The FHSAA needs to do better.

23 hours ago, Airek said:

Airek, what problems with the officiating were there in that game? 

On 12/22/2021 at 8:19 AM, nolebull813 said:

Baker wasn't any better. The thing is 5A is Miami Central, AHP a distant 2nd, and a bunch of average at best teams.

20 minutes ago, Jesse said:

American was winning fool central came back. Mark Fletcher was running wild

he was not running wild. he was getting hit in his mouth, heritage took the lead off of bad central mistakes. i was there. central came back easily & pulled away easily. heritage was not on the same level. i may even go as far to say that heritage wouldn’t even have beat killian as they were more formidable