11 of Florida’s high school football alumni athletes have found their way on to the 2016 watch list released today for the Maxwell Award, presented by the Maxwell Football Club. That list includes two running backs from the current five-time Class 6A state champions, Miami Central.
The Maxwell Award, which has been presented annually since 1937, is awarded to college football’s player of the year for the season. The award is named after Robert “Tiny” Maxwell a Swarthmore College football player, coach and sportswriter.
Former athletes from Florida including RB Derrick Hernry (Yulee) and QB Tim Tebow (Nease) have won the award. Tebow is one of only two players to ever have won the Maxwell Award in back-to-back years.
Here are the athletes from Florida that made the watch list.
Position, Name, College, High School
• RB Mike Boone, Cincinatti, Baker County
• RB Matt Breida, Georgia Southern, Nature Coast
• RB Dalvin Cook, Florida State, Miami Central
• RB Matt Dayes, NC State, Cypress Bay
• WR Isaiah Ford, Virginia Tech, Jacksonville Trinity Christian
• QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville, Boynton Beach
• WR Richie James, Middle Tennessee State, Sarasota Riverview
• RB Marlin Mack, South Florida, Sarasota Booker
• WR Calvin Ridley, Alabama, Monarch
• QB Thomas Sirk, Duke, Baker County
• RB Joseph Yearby, Miami (FL), Miami Central
Award semifinalists will be announced on October 31, while finalists will be announced on November 22 with the award winner being presented on December 8 on The Home Depot College Football Awards on ESPN.