I think Bill Castle's worst record on the field was 5-5 in 1981. He has had some wins vacated and that has led to some seasons being lost in the record book seasons but in actual games on the field I think 5-5 was the worst and only once. Lakeland is almost always a regular season power, a playoff contender and most years capable of deep runs and almost every year a shallow run.
Few teams wouldn't be happy to have Lakeland's success. Same Coach since 1976 does not equal average coaching ability.
Coach Castle received the Lakeland Ledger “Coach of the Year” for 1979, 1982, 1984, 1986, and 2004. The Tampa Tribune honored him with “Coach of the Year” in 1984 and 1986. At the Southeastern Coaches Association meeting in Atlanta, he was given the Kodak 5-A Coach of the Year award for 1986. In 2004 he was named FHSAA 5A coach of the year. He was named Assistant Coach for the Georgia-Florida All Star Football Game that was held in Orlando in June of 1989. He was head coach of the Florida South Team All Stars at the North/South All Star Game held in Jacksonville in June 1997. Castle has been inducted into the Polk County Sports Hall of Fame and the FHSAA Hall of Fame. He was named the FHSAA Coach of the Century, in 2007.
First Win – Lake Wales @ Bryant Stadium 10 Sept. 1976 – 26-6
100th Win – Winter Haven @ Winter Haven 16 Sept. 1988 – 25-7
200th Win – Port Charlotte @ Bryant Stadium 20 Nov 1998 – 50-12
300th Win – Okeechobee @ Bryant Stadium 31 Aug. 2007 – 34-14
• 60 Game Win Streak-Started with Tampa Bay Tech @Tampa Bay Tech
• Oct. 6, 1995 – 41-7 (State Record) Stopped by Haines City @ Haines City
• 2-0 -Regular Season Games; 53 Game Win Streak-Started with Winter Haven Sept.3, 2004@ Bryant Stadium -48-0 (State • Record)
• 53rd Win against Ridge Community (2 ot)@ Bryant Stadium Oct. 26, 2007 – 22-19
• Streak stopped by Osceola @ Bryant Stadium Nov. 2, 2007 -25-21, 53 Straight Games