1. The Huddle

1. The Huddle

The place to discuss football at all levels: high school, college and professional.

1. Flag Football Huddle

A forum for the state's fastest-growing high school sport... Girls Flag Football

1. Off Topic Board

All non-football talk is to be reserved for this board.

Announcements

• Got to hand it to you, that is a genius idea.  But as usual, you seem to neglect the most important aspect to this "APPROACH".  You gotta be ABLE to run the ball.  In the four games prior to Lakeland, they have averaged only 117 YPG with a pretty even 25 carries per game.  They gained over half their total yards for the year against an incompetent team and managed a whopping 20 total yards against a weakened Lake Minneola team for the entire game, despite winning that game.  That from a Shorttime Observer. 
    • Not here to quibble about whether we are ranked high enough or not, simply and observation when considering either the benefit of strength of schedule (SOS) or benefit of the margin of victory (MOV) when adjusting the ranking from a previous week.  Two weeks ago, we beat a St. Cloud Bulldog team ranked in the middle (#286) of all schools by 50 (MOV) at their place and they rewarded us by dropping us several points in the rankings.  Then this week, we lost to a TOP 20 team Jones (SOS) in a tight game that went to OT and could have gone the other way by dropping us another 11 spots.  Clearly makes perfect sense.
    • Yea that's the only thing that I could see being an issue with the onside kicks. The first one was perfect even though they walled off and the second as well. The third was recovered by Cocoa.  Something could've been said by the coaching staff to have the refs look closer for when it did happen and the players could've been told to just attack the wall and the ball instead of backing up to block.  They had their chances to break it open in the first half like that pass that was barely missed getting intercepted and ended up hitting Cocoa's receiver in the face mask 
    • The only thing about the fumble isn't the fact that it was recovered and advanced. It was the 2 different views i saw online from the sideline where it looked like his knees were down before the ball popped out. But again it was a judgement call and could've been a different view for the refs. 2. The offsides wasn't a major factor to me. That's on the players to watch the ball and they didn't get caught much. That was a gray area for both sides. Cause there was times where Cocoa jumped but wasn't called because they weren't touched by the Oline and moved back.   3. The onside was most definitely a game changer. The confusing part that is based on how you interpret the rules is that for the onside kicks. Venice basically walled up in front of the ball before the 10 yards interfering with advancement of trying to go after the ball. But it's just different takes I've been seeing on it. Overall great adjustment and gameplanning to keep Cocoa's offense off the field and to steal some possessions.  Cocoa will have some better competition in the regionals this year in the playoffs. They'll have to more than likely play Bradford and Berkeley Prep. 
    • I give you credit for acknowledging what you did in #2. On #3, I think onside kicks are simply smart football. I think they are considerably higher percentage than is assumed, though some of that is dependent upon sometimes surprising the other team with it. The NFL effectively affirmed what I say by banning such kicks. It is possible there is some gray area which might have to be addressed in the rules when it comes to kicks that barely (if ever) make it ten yards, when the kicking team uses big guys to run interference on fielders who try to come up and recover the dribbler kicks.  *I noticed Lakeland now (as of yesterday lol) puts a big guy on kickoff coverage in the same spot Venice had their big guy. We may see some copycat work on this!