Could more changes be coming to the FHSAA tentative reclassification assignments?

Joshua Wilson

From what I have been told by several very reliable sources is that we could see some changes to the tentative assignments as early as tomorrow. What is might entail or what this might mean since the December release, I don't know.

However, some changes are already apparent on the tentative assignments list that was originally released back in December.

What i do know is this: Is that 2A which had 33 teams assigned to the classification is down to 29 teams. Agape Christian (2A-4) is out leaving that district to just Victory Christian and Foundation Academy. Agape appears they are doing away with football altogether as they are not listed with the independents.

St. Francis in Gainesville which was exploring to go into a district (assigned to 2A-1) has effectively dropped back to independent status as they have been the last two years. That leaves the district with North Florida Christian and FAMU as the only two teams. 

Canterbury in St. Petersburg (assigned to 2A-6) has departed to the independents as they are heading to the Sunshine State Athletic Conference (SSAC). That district is left with just three teams in Indian Rocks Christian, Northside Christian and Admiral Farragut. 

Also Jupiter Christian (assigned to 2A-8) has announced they are going to the SSAC as well. However, they haven't been removed from the assignment and placed into the independents, according to the list on the FHSAA website. 

And Cocoa Beach has left Class 4A (assigned to 4A-5) and will play independent for the next cycle as well.

But the sticking point was going to be Class 2A. If enough teams were to drop out it would force the FHSAA's hand to readdress the whole entire tentative assignments. Needless to say we are here at the pinnacle moment. If the FHSAA leaves this alone as is no matter the amount of appeals or not that they get in by next week, it will show that competitive reasons do not matter. I hope they are really looking at this and looking at all avenues, even considering cutting a class or two or otherwise the next four years will be filled with more lopsided games and fans will certainly lose interest if this is the case.

However, stay tuned here as more could come out on this in the next few days.

I think they need to combine 1A and 2A. If only 29 teams are there and more could leave then it may be needed. This is just ridiculous....if they cut a class or two we would not have this problem!!

This problem would have been avoided if they had just placed the classification policy for review on the FHSAA BOD agenda back in November. 

As Assistant Head Coach at St. Francis I can only say that when we looked at the proposed district with NFC and FAMU we felt it was in our best interest to rejoin the North Florida Conference. I am still waiting on Florida to adopt a separate championship division for schools such as SFCHS...similar to the Alabama AISAA. That would be the answer for schools such as Oak Hall, St. John Lutheran, etc.

As Assistant Head Coach at St. Francis I can only say that when we looked at the proposed district with NFC and FAMU we felt it was in our best interest to rejoin the North Florida Conference. I am still waiting on Florida to adopt a separate championship division for schools such as SFCHS...similar to the Alabama AISAA. That would be the answer for schools such as Oak Hall, St. John Lutheran, etc.

So you are hoping for an independent schools state championship am i reading that right?

I had a feeling a coach would see this and chime in. That is what I thought you all would do once you all saw this.

Truthfully I think an Independent schools championship would be great. North Carolina has the NCISAA and conducts championships in 3 classes 1A/2A/3A for private schools(non-parochial schools so catholic schools play with publics). Schools like Day schools and such play in this independent league and it works just fine. 

Truthfully I think an Independent schools championship would be great. North Carolina has the NCISAA and conducts championships in 3 classes 1A/2A/3A for private schools(non-parochial schools so catholic schools play with publics). Schools like Day schools and such play in this independent league and it works just fine. 

Georgia does this as well with the GISA.  They also have a new league in Georgia called the GICAA.  These are both independent private school leagues that have up to 3 classifications per organization and have state championship for both.  I want to say most southern states have leagues like this Alabama, GA, SC, NC and probably others.

Even 1A is getting screwed up with Madison, Ft White and possibly Baldwin, I am afraid that the rural 1A is a thing of the past unless we all pull out and start our own independent classification and hold our own play off's. I dont want to see it happen that way but i have heard talk about it from some of the boosters, If 36 of the 1A schools pulled out it may blow up the entire FHSAA playoff system as we know it.  In my opinion the 4 year deal is at the root of it, Some say if it was only 2 years with a promise of trying to really get things fixed they would feel a lot better about it.    

Here's hopping FHSAA will really try and fix the problem and not just screw things up worse.

So to update, some changes have been made to a few Class 1A districts as of this afternoon.

District 5
3 schools

Hamilton County (Jasper)
Jefferson County (Monticello)
Madison County (Madison)

District 6
7 schools

Baldwin
Bell
Fort White
Hilliard
Newberry
Union County (Lake Butler)
Williston

District 7
7 schools

Branford
Bronson
Chiefland
Dixie County (Cross City)
Hawthorne
Lafayette (Mayo)
Trenton

Share your thoughts about these changes here.

3 team districts suck!  But that is what happen when teams run away from one team.  

By Madison and Ft White running away from 4A it has caused the entire 1A classification to be thrown into turmoil.  No one in 1A wants them in and i see a fight coming that wont be pretty for the FHSAA.

These are the reasons that you see so many of the smaller private schools that dont offer reduced enrollment for players going independent, Expect that number to grow in the future unless something is done.

Over the last 4 years 1A has been a major success and the teams involved (most of them) have improved there level of play when they felt like they where playing teams the same size and like community's now it feels like the FHSAA is taking that away by letting the bigger schools in. It's time to take a stand for whats right.

I agree.  Why mess up a good thing? My thing is will all of the 1A schools get together and take that stand together?  

Probably not all of them this year but there will be several on the south end of the bracket.

Hearing from the source i have is that the attorneys have already been contacted to investigate the possibility of setting up a North Florida Public School Association to see if it's a viable option for us. If it comes to pass expect a mas exodus from the FHSAA.  Just saying that the small schools are tired of having un-level playing fields shoved down there throats by the FHSAA.  

Folks, Madison qualified as numbers are under 600, so throwing them under is not totally fair. However, there are several others over 600 that are in so want to hear what the FHSAA has to say on that one.

Madison is not really under the count, From what i understand is that they hired a separate principle to be over the alternative school there by they do not have to count those students in the enrollment numbers and the charter school as well.  

Josh take ride through the city of Madison and then drive through Bell, Trenton, Bronson and Branford and then tell me if you really think Madison is a true 1A  

Exactly TigerFan.  It is a different place then the Bells Trentons Dixies Bronson of the world.  They ran from 4A plain and simple.  I am wanting to see how they schedule this year because if they are still playing the 4A and 5A schools that they played last year and are beating them some what do you think they are going to do to the Bronsons and Bells of the world.  I wouldnt care if most 1A schools dropped out and form their own league.  It would benefit the smaller rural areas.  Madison is not a small rural area like say Trenton is it is worlds apart.

Madison is not really under the count, From what i understand is that they hired a separate principle to be over the alternative school there by they do not have to count those students in the enrollment numbers and the charter school as well.  

Josh take ride through the city of Madison and then drive through Bell, Trenton, Bronson and Branford and then tell me if you really think Madison is a true 1A  

Having driven through all of these towns personally, Madison is way bigger. However, we shall see what happens on this.

So Class 2A is officially down to 28 teams on the tentative assignments. Jupiter Christian finally withdrew their commitment and St. Joseph wants no part of the district they were given either.

So 16 playoff spots and 28 teams = 57% of the class in the playoffs....this is not even fair.

So Class 2A is officially down to 28 teams on the tentative assignments. Jupiter Christian finally withdrew their commitment and St. Joseph wants no part of the district they were given either.

So 16 playoff spots and 28 teams = 57% of the class in the playoffs....this is not even fair.

How long can the FHSAA turn a blind eye to this? COMBINE 1A and 2A. They won't but I think that would solve a lot of problems truthfully. At least with this re-alignment. 

By the way I have to agree Madison to me doesn't really belong in 1A, but it is what it is. 

No Madison doesn't belong.  School like Trenton, Bronson, or Mayo are filling there teams with 9th - 12th graders to have just decent numbers.  Schools like Madison and Ft.White are pulling from JV teams of 9th and 10th graders while their varsity teams are primarily made up of Juniors and Seniors.  Most true rural school play in a 7th. 8th & 9th leagues with the best 9th graders playing varsity.  Heck I know a few schools in 1A in the past have started 8th and 9th graders on varsity.   Now those 8th and 9th graders have to go up against the Madisons, and Ft.Whites of the world.