Who Is This FL Superstar? Malik Davis/Tampa Jesuit

OldSchoolLion

...one of the most productive gainers to come out of FL in recent years.  Who is he and where does he play in college?

He broke his county's career TD record, which had been previously owned by what great running back?  (Hint:played at Iowa)

He broke his county's careers rushing record, which had been previously owned by what great running back?  (Hint:played at Clemson and now plays for the Bills)

Image result for malik davis jesuit

Record-shattering running back Malik Davis ’17 of Tampa Jesuit was named the 2016 Guy Toph Award winner.  The Guy Toph Award is considered the Heisman Trophy of Hillsborough County football and most prestigious athletic award in the county. Founded in 1939, it is believed to be the oldest high school football award in America.  Davis is the fourth Jesuit student to earn the award and last one since Gary Godsey '99 in 1998. 

Davis arguably had the greatest season and football career in Hillsborough county history, and compiled one of the best rushing careers in state history. In 2016, he rushed for 2,469 yards on 214 carries (11.5 avg.), with 33 touchdowns, breaking his single-season Jesuit records from 2015 of 2,337 rushing yards and 28 TDs. The 33 TDs are a single-season county record, and the rushing yards is second best in county history.

Davis completed his Jesuit career with county records of 7,029 rushing yards and 83 rushing touchdowns (84 total TDs). The rushing yards ranks Davis 11th in state history, and he is No. 1 in county history by a wide margin of nearly 1,300 yards over second-place Ray Ray McCloud of Sickles. Davis’ career total TDs and rushing TDs also are best in county history, with the rushing mark of 83 TDs easily surpassing second-place Kalvin Bailey of Armwood (67). Both McCloud and Bailey are former Toph Award winners.

I'm a big Malik Davis fan. We (Hubby and I) didn't know who he was until 2014 when Jesuit hosted Clearwater Central Catholic . I think it was Peezy who tweeted out that he was a man and was a future bright star for Jesuit.  I think CCC won that night, but his career took off afterward. Now we're talking about him as one of the all-time greats as a RB. Amazing how quickly things evolve!