8A South State Semifinal - Flanagan vs. Columbus

BrowardHandicapper

Not many would have predicted these two teams battling for the ticket to Orlando early on. Although Columbus has had a few good teams 20-30 years ago this may be one of their best teams in school history. Columbus has been solid all year and since their loss to Miami Central have been improving every week.  They have outscored opponents North Miami Beach, Coral Gables and Killian 86-7 in post season play. 

Flanagan has gone undefeated all year and unfortunately started the post season losing their top defensive player Devin Bush Jr. on the first play of the game vs. Coral Springs.  They may not be as strong defensively but the Falcon defense continues to make big defensive plays game after game....

Both teams are pretty much newcomers to elite post season play and the winner will get to play the winner of the Manatee vs. Apopka matchup (which are more heralded and accomplished programs).

Thoughts or predictions?

Columbus is the bigger, more smash-mouth team in my opinion and this might be the game where the loss of Devin Bush Jr. finally catches up to the Falcons....At the same time, Flanagan QB Ryan Stanley might be the underrated QB in FL and has had no problem dicing up strong teams when needed...

This should be a good one!

Flanagan for some reason reminds me of South Dade last season, Columbus has had good runs to the 3rd round in years past. When was the last time they were playing in the Semi-finals though?

I have seen a good amount of film on both Columbus and Flanagan and I think this game will come down to Columbus' defense. Flanagan has an electric offense and even though they are without Bush they still have a very opportunistic defense. 

Columbus' defense will have to come and play like they have the last three games and really all year. If they do Columbus will be playing next week in Orlando it is as simple as that really. 

My pick though: Flanagan by 3. The Falcons get the job done and get to Orlando. 

Columbus 16   Flanagan 12   

What a defensive, physical battle this matchup was.  Flanagan lost to a team that that was more efficient and just executed better.  Flanagan was clearly rattled and they showed it in the first half with about 4 poor shotgun snaps that they were lucky enough to recover.  Flanagan made one last drive late and QB Ryan Stanley actually scored on a 40 yard bootleg with 1:50 remaining and trailing 16-12 but the play was negated for holding. Box score and stats were very vanilla but the team just does not make many mistakes ...Congratulations to Columbus on being the better team that night and earning a trip to Orlando.  They will face off vs. Apopka next week.