West coast offense?

DisabledAccount

A Google definition for those of you, like myself, who did not know what a West Coast Offense is. Believe that John Madden used it with Oakland when he was there.

The West Coast offense is an offense that places a greater emphasis on passing than on running characterized by short, horizontal passing routes in lieu of running plays to "stretch out" defenses, opening up the potential for long runs or long passes. The offense uses a specific naming system, with the routes for wide receivers and tight ends receiving three digit numbers, and routes for backs having unique names. This provides an efficient way to communicate many different plays with minimal memorization.

Seems like it would be a good offense for HS teams, although many HS teams either don't do passing well or run ground game offenses like the Wing-T. 

Pro the west coast uses horizontal patterns to stretch a defense rather than vertical patters, usually 2 backs and a TE but when steve marioochi was in SF he used 3 wr's rather than a FB. 

combination routs and crossing patterns are a staple

a lot of shotgun split back teams use it

Dallas in the 90's started a new brand of a vertical passing game rather than the west coast attack

it is hard to run in high school because lob passes are easier to throw than darts that break windows and the qb play in high school is often tricky

see south dade when they won state their QB was awesome. he graduated and they fell off

A Google definition for those of you, like myself, who did not know what a West Coast Offense is. Believe that John Madden used it with Oakland when he was there.

The West Coast offense is an offense that places a greater emphasis on passing than on running characterized by short, horizontal passing routes in lieu of running plays to "stretch out" defenses, opening up the potential for long runs or long passes. The offense uses a specific naming system, with the routes for wide receivers and tight ends receiving three digit numbers, and routes for backs having unique names. This provides an efficient way to communicate many different plays with minimal memorization.

Seems like it would be a good offense for HS teams, although many HS teams either don't do passing well or run ground game offenses like the Wing-T.

49ers used it with joe Montana and Steve young, packers under Mike Holmgren used it with Brett farve then he took it to Seahawks and used it with Matt hasselback, jon gruden used it in Tampa bay buccaneers, Mike McCarthy use it right now with Rodgers, and I bielive Mike shannanhan used it with the Broncos and John elway, those most well known uses of west coast offense in pro football

49ers used it with joe Montana and Steve young, packers under Mike Holmgren used it with Brett farve then he took it to Seahawks and used it with Matt hasselback, jon gruden used it in Tampa bay buccaneers, Mike McCarthy use it right now with Rodgers, and I bielive Mike shannanhan used it with the Broncos and John elway, those most well known uses of west coast offense in pro football

yes but it really came out of BYU and Levell Edwards in the mid 80's

Sound like me.... When I was in 3rd grade I had to rent joe montana and roger craig books at our school library to find that stuff out. True story