7A Region 1 Game Previews

OldSchoolLion

7A-R1

#8Fletcher(7-3) @ #1Columbia(9-1)  These two teams are District 2 foes and have never met in the playoffs. Columbia has won their last 4 regular season meetings. Columbia has impressive wins this season over Fletcher, Lee, Buchholz, Madison County and Bolles and were a 2-point conversion away from an undefeated season.  The Tigers have an explosive offense that averages 40 points per game.  Only one team has held them under 30 points this year...Fletcher.  Columbia won that game 21-20, when Fletcher went for 2 points instead of the tie in the fourth quarter.  Columbia's defense has been allowing 19 points per game, which may be a concern at some point.  They have given up 19 or more points in 7 of their games.  The Tigers are a regular in the playoffs.  They lost in the first round last year to Lincoln.  Fletcher is one of the tougher #8 seeds in the playoffs and could be as big a threat to Columbia as any team in the region.  After a rough loss to Raines early in the season, their last 3 games of the season were against Columbia, Lee and Mandarin, and all were tight games.  Fletcher's last playoff win was in 2014.

#7Edgewater(9-1) @ #2Buchholz(7-3)   These two teams have met twice in the playoffs, Edgewater knocked Buchholz out of the playoffs last year with a 31-21 win in Orlando.  Buchholz did the same to Edgewater in Gainesville in 2015.  The Bobcats won their last playoff game in 2016, one of only 3 such victories since 2001.  The Bobcats put up big points this year, but lost their games against tougher competition, ie Columbia, Vanguard and Bartram Trail.  They did defeat Santa Fe and Oakleaf.  Edgewater played a rather weak schedule this year.  They slipped by Bishop Moore and lost to Hagerty, both playoff-bound teams.  Its big offensive outputs might be deceiving because of the schedule.  Hagerty held them to 15 points.

#6Oakleaf(5-5) @ #3Lincoln(6-4) Oakleaf's only playoff experience was in 2014, when they managed to reach the regional final.  Lincoln has appeared in 3 title games over the past 10 years, winning the 4A title in 2010.  They lost to Bartram Trail in the second round last year.  Oakleaf did not beat any playoff teams this year, but did play a number of them tough, including Glades Central, Vanguard, Raines and Buccholz.   They averaged 40 points per game,including 69 points against Bartram Trail.  But they gave up an embarrassing 38 points per game on average.  Lincoln ended the season with 3 tough games against Raines, Godby and Escambia, losing to Raines and Godby. They had to forfeit a win over Niceville. Their defense gave up big points to tougher competition.  

#5Lee(8-1) @ #4Hagerty(6-4)  Of all 5A-8A playoff teams, Hagerty made it into the playoffs with the lowest power ranking average of any team.  They have played in playoff games in 2015 and 2016 and lost in the first round each time.  The Huskies beat Edgewater 31-15 to win the district title.  Overall, they have played a weak schedule.  Lee has impressive wins over Raines, Mandarin and Fletcher, and lost a shootout with Columbia.  Since 1996, Lee has gotten past the first round only once.  The Generals made it to the state semifinals in 2016.  Their offense can put points on the board, ie they put up 37 points on Columbia.   

*Fletcher was a benefactor the new points system.

14 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:
7A-R1

#8Fletcher(7-3) @ #1Columbia(9-1)  These two teams are District 2 foes and have never met in the playoffs. Columbia has won their last 4 regular season meetings. Columbia has impressive wins this season over Fletcher, Lee, Buchholz, Madison County and Bolles and were a 2-point conversion away from an undefeated season.  The Tigers have an explosive offense that averages 40 points per game.  Only one team has held them under 30 points this year...Fletcher.  Columbia won that game 21-20, when Fletcher went for 2 points instead of the tie in the fourth quarter.  Columbia's defense has been allowing 19 points per game, which may be a concern at some point.  They have given up 19 or more points in 7 of their games.  The Tigers are a regular in the playoffs.  They lost in the first round last year to Lincoln.  Fletcher is one of the tougher #8 seeds in the playoffs and could be as big a threat to Columbia as any team in the region.  After a rough loss to Raines early in the season, their last 3 games of the season were against Columbia, Lee and Mandarin, and all were tight games.  Fletcher's last playoff win was in 2014.

#7Edgewater(9-1) @ #2Buchholz(7-3)   These two teams have met twice in the playoffs, Edgewater knocked Buchholz out of the playoffs last year with a 31-21 win in Orlando.  Buchholz did the same to Edgewater in Gainesville in 2015.  The Bobcats won their last playoff game in 2016, one of only 3 such victories since 2001.  The Bobcats put up big points this year, but lost their games against tougher competition, ie Columbia, Vanguard and Bartram Trail.  They did defeat Santa Fe and Oakleaf.  Edgewater played a rather weak schedule this year.  They slipped by Bishop Moore and lost to Hagerty, both playoff-bound teams.  Its big offensive outputs might be deceiving because of the schedule.  Hagerty held them to 15 points.

#6Oakleaf(5-5) @ #3Lincoln(6-4) Oakleaf's only playoff experience was in 2014, when they managed to reach the regional final.  Lincoln has appeared in 3 title games over the past 10 years, winning the 4A title in 2010.  They lost to Bartram Trail in the second round last year.  Oakleaf did not beat any playoff teams this year, but did play a number of them tough, including Glades Central, Vanguard, Raines and Buccholz.   They averaged 40 points per game,including 69 points against Bartram Trail.  But they gave upan embarrassing 38 points per game on average.  Lincoln ended the season with 3 tough games against Raines, Godby and Escambia, losing to Raines and Godby. They had to forfeit a win over Niceville. Their defense gave up big points to tougher competition.  

#5Lee(8-1) @ #4Hagerty(6-4)  Of all 5A-8A playoff teams, Hagerty made it into the playoffs with the lowest power ranking average of any team.  They have played in playoff games in 2015 and 2016 and lost in the first round each time.  The Huskies beat Edgewater 31-15 to win the district title.  Overall, they have played a weak schedule.  Lee has impressive wins over Raines, Mandarin and Fletcher, and lost a shootout with Columbia.  Since 1996, Lee has gotten past the first round only once.  The Generals made it to the state semifinals in 2016.  Their offense can put points on the board, ie they put up 37 points on Columbia.   

*Fletcher was a benefactor the new points system.

Pretty spot on for the most part 

I don't know if you mean 4 straight over Fletcher or 4 straight to finish the regular season 

Columbia is currently on a 8 game winning streak over Fletcher dating back to 1987, last win for Fletcher was 3-0 win in 1986

I will also add that based on last few weeks the biggest 2 things that worry me with Columbia that needs to be sorted out quickly

1 turnovers,  in the Fletcher and First Coast games columbia had a combined 10 turnovers which is not a very good trend 

Granted they did play smart with football against Bolles (i think 1 turnover max if that,  i honestly can't remember if we had a turnover or not) 

2 kickoff coverage. This is a trend that has persisted the entire season as Columbia has struggled covering kickoffs and have given up many big returns (and would have given up at least 10 tds had it not been for some big time saving tackles usually by the kicker) 

Columbia may want to stick to high air kicks or squib kicks to limit return potential because when the team starts off at midfield half the drives it's tough on the defense which is why the points allowed may be slightly inflated 

If we didn't have these kickoff issues we probably would be closer to 14 points a game but I'm not making excuses, it's our problem so it's our job to fix it

Give me Columbia by 14

Edgewater vs Buchholz should be a interesting game and I'm curious if home field or a more battle tested buchholz team makes the difference in a win over a team who looked destined to finish 10-0 until 2 weeks ago (granted with a overall weak schedule)

Give me Buchholz by a TD 

Lincoln looks better than years past while Oakleaf seemed to collapse down the stretch this year as the schedule got tougher 

I'm thinking Lincoln by 17 there

Lee vs Hagerty really seems like a trap game for the Lee generals who could look towards a potential rematch with either Columbia or Fletcher so this game will be one I'll keep a eye on

I'll take Lee by 17 but if Lee comes in distracted they could be at huge risk for upset