youngandrunning

Forum readers and football lovers,

Anyone have any insight into the transition from 8 man to 11 man football? Maybe any contacts to talk with about lumps suffered and things unexpected that happened? I'm an out of state assistant coach who has been contacted about the development of an 11 man program at a charter school within the state. Wanted the public's opinion and input on certain aspects. Hope all is well and football seasons are ending strong. Hope you enjoy your weather more than our 40 degrees in Kentucky!

Forum readers and football lovers,

Anyone have any insight into the transition from 8 man to 11 man football? Maybe any contacts to talk with about lumps suffered and things unexpected that happened? I'm an out of state assistant coach who has been contacted about the development of an 11 man program at a charter school within the state. Wanted the public's opinion and input on certain aspects. Hope all is well and football seasons are ending strong. Hope you enjoy your weather more than our 40 degrees in Kentucky!

The main difference is the the field is going to be bigger and having more lineman I believe.  It will likely be a lot more competitive. When starting out you might want to look at a very basic offense.  Start with the basics and evolve.  The Wing - T or  Single Wing Offense might be a good place to start.  People will heckle this and it is archaic but if you are just starting out , it might be a good foundation for your offense.

Defensively I would consider starting with the 5 (DLine up front)  - 3  (Linebackers)      and 2 corners and 1 safety.  Keep in mind that LBs at times will need to cover WRs or a TE .  Once you feel comfortable with the 5-3 Defense , consider the 4-4 Defense ( now you have 4 DLine up front and 4 Linebackers) but you have more flexibility and can begin to introduce a blitzing Linebacker into the scheme.

Hope this helps.