1A Rural needs to be disbanded

nolebull813

I saw a lot of scores this year, and the 1A rural teams have outgrown their cowardice of University Christian  and North Florida Christian. 

You can not tell me with a straight face that these teams couldn’t compete and win Class 1S. There is no reason 1R and 1S doesn’t merge. There are countless examples that blow up the idea that rural teams are too horrible and garbage to compete with monsters like Cardinal Mooney and Father Lopez. Lol. 

I seen some of the rural scores. Rural teams beating other rural teams by 40, 50 and 60 routinely. Can those losing teams gripe and ask for a new class??  Class Zero-Rural??? I like the ring of it. On Planet Punk A$$!!!!!!!!!

This topic didn't receive much attention, but after thinking about it, this is a no-brainer.  If a combined Top 10 of 1S and 1R was compiled using the end-of-season Power Rankings, it would look like this:

1) Hawthorne (1R)

2) Pahokee (1R)

3) North Florida Christian (1S)

4) First Baptist Academy (1S)

5) Evangelical Christian (1S)

6) Northview (1R)

7) Union County (1R)

8) Chiefland (1R)

9) Chipley (1R)

10) Trinity Catholic (1S)

The average Power Ranking of the 25 teams in 1S is 0.427.  The average Power Ranking of the 36 teams in 1R is 0.387.  Simply put, the relative top-to-bottom strength of 1S and 1R is very similar.  Finally, it has been stated that the FHSAA cannot sanction separate public-private classifications, but 1S and 1M are essentially private classifications, and 1R is a public classification.  Combine 1S and 1R and you have a 61-team division.  One less classification (down to 8!).  This is an idea whose time has come.  Excellent call, nolebull.    

23 hours ago, Dr. D said:

This topic didn't receive much attention, but after thinking about it, this is a no-brainer.  If a combined Top 10 of 1S and 1R was compiled using the end-of-season Power Rankings, it would look like this:

1) Hawthorne (1R)

2) Pahokee (1R)

3) North Florida Christian (1S)

4) First Baptist Academy (1S)

5) Evangelical Christian (1S)

6) Northview (1R)

7) Union County (1R)

8) Chiefland (1R)

9) Chipley (1R)

10) Trinity Catholic (1S)

The average Power Ranking of the 25 teams in 1S is 0.427.  The average Power Ranking of the 36 teams in 1R is 0.387.  Simply put, the relative top-to-bottom strength of 1S and 1R is very similar.  Finally, it has been stated that the FHSAA cannot sanction separate public-private classifications, but 1S and 1M are essentially private classifications, and 1R is a public classification.  Combine 1S and 1R and you have a 61-team division.  One less classification (down to 8!).  This is an idea whose time has come.  Excellent call, nolebull.    

This came to my mind when a couple years ago a 2nd round loser from 1A beat the 2A state champion!! Think about that. 1A and 2A should always have been merged. Hell 1A should never have existed as a rural class. 

1A Rural Pahokee this year beat the 1S state champion Naples First Baptist.  Beat them by multiple scores. And they lost in the 2nd round of the rural playoffs!!!

There is no justification. 1A rural has outgrown the cowardice that created the class in the first place. These teams can compete. Don’t let them fool you. 

Check this out 

in 2021 Jax TC won the 2A state title. They lost to Florida High that year, and Florida High lost to 1A Madison County

in 2018 North Florida Christian won the 2A title. And they lost to 1A Port St Joe 24-7!!! PSJ lost to Baker in the 1A playoffs 27-48, and Baker lost to Mad Co 48-6!!!!

in 2015 University Christian won 2A state title and lost to 1A Dixie County. Dixie County lost in the 1A second round, and finished with 4 losses on the year all to other 1A teams!!! 

come on man!!!!!!!!

On 12/27/2022 at 11:49 AM, nolebull813 said:

I saw a lot of scores this year, and the 1A rural teams have outgrown their cowardice of University Christian  and North Florida Christian. 

You can not tell me with a straight face that these teams couldn’t compete and win Class 1S. There is no reason 1R and 1S doesn’t merge. There are countless examples that blow up the idea that rural teams are too horrible and garbage to compete with monsters like Cardinal Mooney and Father Lopez. Lol. 

I seen some of the rural scores. Rural teams beating other rural teams by 40, 50 and 60 routinely. Can those losing teams gripe and ask for a new class??  Class Zero-Rural??? I like the ring of it. On Planet Punk A$$!!!!!!!!!

All the more reason multiple classes should be done away with all together as outlined here.  There are "small" schools that punch above their weight and large schools that sink faster than swimming with concrete shoes.  School population is no longer a sole determining factor when fielding a winning team. Using NFC and Florida High as an example, NFC took out Leon while Florida High took out Lincoln and Godby.  There are numerous examples of this across the state.