Armwood 34, @Venice 25

Longtime Observer

Armwood jumped out to a 27-0 lead with relative ease. Venice wouldn't go away, but seemed over matched throughout. The Indians have to do more to get their offsides and facemask game going. Draw an offsides here, lend the facemask for the quick 15 there. You know, Venice football. But, they just didn't lend the facemask enough to get those much needed 15 yard penalties.

Venice's problem is they are still weak in the trenches. Armwood exposed that. The OL is the same as the weak one last year, plus the modest improvements that experience can bring. The DL played only four guys all year long last year, and all graduated. They got an IMG discard and a young sophomore who will eventually be good. But, they're overmatched there at the moment. The linebackers are, again, not state championship caliber.

Ultimately, I think the hype/promo approach taken by Peacock is an effective approach. I'm sure he'll be full of excuses and will tell us that it should have been 250-34 Venice. But, when it comes down to it, you can't get beaten up front and be a top team. 

1 hour ago, Longtime Observer said:

Venice's problem is they are still weak in the trenches. Armwood exposed that. The OL is the same as the weak one last year, plus the modest improvements that experience can bring. The DL played only four guys all year long last year, and all graduated. They got an IMG discard and a young sophomore who will eventually be good. But, they're overmatched there at the moment. The linebackers are, again, not state championship caliber.

Ultimately, I think the hype/promo approach taken by Peacock is an effective approach. I'm sure he'll be full of excuses and will tell us that it should have been 250-34 Venice. But, when it comes down to it, you can't get beaten up front and be a top team. 

Sounds like their line play will be exposed even more next week on the road.

8 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Sounds like their line play will be exposed even more next week on the road.

I haven't seen Cocoa yet. But, if their trenches are on par with Armwood, yes. Armwood went 0 coverage a lot and totally stopped Venice until the Indians hit a couple deep balls. But, Armwood's corners are excellent. The calculus was good for them using 0 coverage. If Cocoa's corners aren't quite as good (likely) they'll have to do it a little differently. But, I'd say Cocoa should be a slight home favorite.

36 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

I haven't seen Cocoa yet. But, if their trenches are on par with Armwood, yes. Armwood went 0 coverage a lot and totally stopped Venice until the Indians hit a couple deep balls. But, Armwood's corners are excellent. The calculus was good for them using 0 coverage. If Cocoa's corners aren't quite as good (likely) they'll have to do it a little differently. But, I'd say Cocoa should be a slight home favorite.

Just watch their game against Jones. Their front 7 is top notch and trench work breaks through 75% of the time. If Venice QB is athletic then he will be able to by sometime but depending on how Cocoa schemes their coverage for Venice there could be alot of coverage sacks. One of Cocoa's edge rushers had atleast 4 sacks on his own. They made great adjustments as well to stop deep balls. Jones Sophmore QB is definitely going to be a 5 star QB by the end of his junior season if not sooner.

13 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Just watch their game against Jones. Their front 7 is top notch and trench work breaks through 75% of the time. If Venice QB is athletic then he will be able to by sometime but depending on how Cocoa schemes their coverage for Venice there could be alot of coverage sacks. One of Cocoa's edge rushers had atleast 4 sacks on his own. They made great adjustments as well to stop deep balls. Jones Sophmore QB is definitely going to be a 5 star QB by the end of his junior season if not sooner.

I believe Jones' QB is from Polk County. Played at Plant City last year.

Venice has two mobile QBs. Glasser is a very strong runner. They will play like Florida did with Tebow, or like Auburn did with Cam Newton. They want to run the ball 80% of the time, and force you to give very simplistic coverages they can exploit through the air. But, whatever Cocoa does, if their DL is dominant, they'll be able to limit Venice to the typical cheap scores they always get.

50 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

I believe Jones' QB is from Polk County. Played at Plant City last year.

Venice has two mobile QBs. Glasser is a very strong runner. They will play like Florida did with Tebow, or like Auburn did with Cam Newton. They want to run the ball 80% of the time, and force you to give very simplistic coverages they can exploit through the air. But, whatever Cocoa does, if their DL is dominant, they'll be able to limit Venice to the typical cheap scores they always get.

Dereon Coleman is a game changer for Jones. The senior QB Jackson wasn't able to do anything against Cocoa. Honestly if Venice is run heavy they'll play right into Cocoa's strength and Cocoa's secondary showed that they are very capable of holding their own eventhough they are younger than last season they have plenty of experience on the backend. Had to replace all 4 starters who went all went D1 Ohio State, Old Dominion, Eastern Michigan and Bethune. The secondary is very opportunistic.

During the off season I honestly felt like Venice would beat Cocoa by 7 or 10 especially after the players that fame in for them. Currently watching the game vs Armwood and now I see the complete opposite. I feel like Cocoa will when by 7 or 10. If Cocoa's QB improves from this past game and doesn't force any passes to his first option then Cocoa will do exactly what Armwood did. Only difference I feel like Cocoa will also make the adjustments to keep a major comeback happening to them again like the Jones game.