My football proposal

DisabledAccount

4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well it's a rough draft so i don't have exact numbers but this is basically Where i see the teams holding up once i take into account certain factors that lead to movement 

http://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/info-page/population_report_for_web_1.pdf

These are the 2017 numbers. 

Well might want to look at moving Pierson Taylor(616) to 1A. Do you have a number cuttoff for 1A? How do you feel about Keystone(798) and Interlachen(744) moving down to 1A? They both struggle in  their class.

11 minutes ago, blackmagic said:

http://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/info-page/population_report_for_web_1.pdf

These are the 2017 numbers. 

Well might want to look at moving Pierson Taylor(616) to 1A. Do you have a number cuttoff for 1A? How do you feel about Keystone(798) and Interlachen(744) moving down to 1A? They both struggle in  their class.

Hmm good point, i may move them down once i go back to editing the classifications 

And i dont have a hard line for any of the classifications but i try to keep the enrollment differences reasonable 

21 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Sorry if I am missing something here...

I am putting myself in the shoes of a kid competing in the Open Division on a #14seed, small school.  I finish the year getting destroyed by Miami Northwestern in the first round.  Later I see another team in my classification who I think my team could clearly beat, winning the state championship.  

In the NCAA tournament,  even if one of the lower seeds gets blown out at the dance in the first round, they often are able to say, "Well, at least we won our conference title this year."   If I am that kid, where is my motivation?  Am not saying the main motivation of a kid should be a trophy or medal, but am being realistic, knowing the way many kids think.  

Oh and it would be 3 vs 14 not 1 vs 14 bc top 2 seeds get first round bye

On 12/17/2017 at 7:41 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Cocoa longest travel was hour and 20 minutes to Matanzas 

Overall all travel would be no more than 2 hours regardless and that may be 1 game a year for a few teams if it was correct 

There were a few that had a long travel or 2 but it was either that or a 9 or 10 team district which i feel they would prefer the former so they aren't locked in to having entire schedule in district games lol

3 1hr+ one way trip games, 2-3hr round trips. A smaller district for a little more travel would probably be better received, just stating that fans would hate it vehemently.

7 hours ago, Cocoa2010 said:

3 1hr+ one way trip games, 2-3hr round trips. A smaller district for a little more travel would probably be better received, just stating that fans would hate it vehemently.

I remember in late 90s where St Augustine and lincoln was same district

That was like 4 hours so i think they will manage 

And all our district games are over a hour

7 hours ago, Cocoa2010 said:

Small districts are the main issue that has deluted the playoffs so a little travel is a small price to pay to improve the quality of the classifications

On 12/18/2017 at 8:53 AM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well it's a rough draft so i don't have exact numbers but this is basically Where i see the teams holding up once i take into account certain factors that lead to movement 

While enrollment is the base i may move a few teams up a class or 2 or down a class or 2

Also with Pahokee and Madison both have rosters of over 60

I'm not 100% positive but most if not all the teams you listed probably under 40 but I'm not certain 

Cocoa beach is a team that has struggled for a while to be competitive in 4a and they are likely in 4a to avoid the privates in 3a so they are there voluntary but would be far more balanced competitive in 1a vs 4a so a move there makes sense

Union and williston both are current 1a and i left them because they seem to be balanced where they are

Taylor County has not been very competitive in 3a and usually get bumped from playoffs in first 2 rounds and while their enrollment may be a little higher they make more sense being in 1a then 3a

Similar argument can be made with Baldwin, Fort White and Newberry 

pahokee will stay in 1a very good team for next  year

5 minutes ago, cameronp81 said:

Why is Palatka, Orange Park and Middleburg is 4A?

Bc while i start with enrollment i don't just make that the all in be all for the classifications 

All 3 have struggled in their classification and therefore are moved down to put them where they will be on a more competitive level with the teams in class 

Middleburg usually finishes last in their district so it makes no sense to leave them in 6a

Palatka and orange park have been lucky to be at .500 for years now so until they start being competitive 4a would make more sense

The goal of this system is to get rid of out of range matchups both in district games and playoffs where we get 60-3 type scores 

Middleburg made the playoffs last year and Palatka was in a Monday night shoot out for it the year before. I get your reasoning and your heart is in the right spot but doesn’t seem fair that since some teams are down for a few years to punish the smaller schools and group them with schools that can be close to twice their size or in some cases more. 

44 minutes ago, cameronp81 said:

Middleburg made the playoffs last year and Palatka was in a Monday night shoot out for it the year before. I get your reasoning and your heart is in the right spot but doesn’t seem fair that since some teams are down for a few years to punish the smaller schools and group them with schools that can be close to twice their size or in some cases more. 

That was Middleburg best season in a decade,  most Years they struggle to get to 2 wins

And Palatka struggles to get to .500 

While they are slightly bigger in size they aren't going to be successful long term in their current classifications

Also keep in mind that the 8a in my class is only consisting of 28 teams so the classifications i have wont have teams in the exact spot currently 

One of biggest issues with the current system is viewing teams by school size when that is hardly the biggest factor in team success 

1a madison with almost 600 has more seniors then 7a columbia with almost 1900 students 

Let that sink in 

A big school who been to playoffs 7 straight years has less seniors than a 1a school

The point is there needs to be a bigger importance to classification then just school size