Top 5 schools per region historically (football)

DisabledAccount

50 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I saw this on twitter and felt i would bring the topic over here 

Who is the top 5 players in your schools history

I'll release mine later 

Also for those who rep a area and not a specific team you can just rank top 5 for teams in your area  :)

...top 5 teams historically  or just this coming year?

....considering a number of variables, ie # playoff wins, # playoff appearances, # of times in the state finals, # of years they have been a "winning" program

Some teams not on this list may have more state championship trophies, but may not have not had the same level of overall success over the past 20 or more years  

South FL

St Thomas Aquinas

Belle Glades Central

Carol City

Northwestern

Southridge

Central FL

Lakeland

Manatee

Armwood

Osceola

Apopka

North FL

Bolles

Madison County

Trinity Christian

University Christian

North Florida Christian

19 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

....considering a number of variables, ie # playoff wins, # playoff appearances, # of times in the state finals, # of years they have been a "winning" program

Some teams not on this list may have more state championship trophies, but may not have not had the same level of overall success over the past 20 or more years  

South FL

St Thomas Aquinas

Belle Glades Central

Carol City

Northwestern

Southridge

Central FL

Lakeland

Manatee

Armwood

Osceola

Apopka

North FL

Bolles

Madison County

Trinity Christian

University Christian

North Florida Christian

I meant players but this list looks good 

23 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

South FL

St Thomas Aquinas

Belle Glades Central

Carol City

Northwestern

Southridge

Central FL

Lakeland

Manatee

Armwood

Osceola

Apopka

North FL

Bolles

Madison County

Trinity Christian

University Christian

North Florida Christian

Cocoa would definitely be in over Apopka and really close with Odceola.

30 minutes ago, Tigers2017 said:

Cocoa would definitely be in over Apopka and really close with Odceola.

Here is why I picked Apopka over Cocoa.  Apopka won a state title in 2001 and made the state semis in 1993.  They have playoff appearances going back 30+ years.  Cocoa has only been a serious competitor over the past ten years or so.  They had very limited success prior to that.  So, one could argue Apopka has had better overall success historically.     

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

But i probably would put someone like St Augustine over university Christian 

University Christian had a run in a relatively weak class but there run wasn't as good as North Florida Christian and University Christian from what i have seen really struggle when playing larger schools

They have 8 State Titles.  They have more than NFC who is in the same class.  They struggle playing larger schools because they have 250 kids in their entire school.  Most often than not their really good kids go both ways...UC is a historically big time small school.

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

But i probably would put someone like St Augustine over university Christian 

University Christian had a run in a relatively weak class but there run wasn't as good as North Florida Christian and University Christian from what i have seen really struggle when playing larger schools

One could probably use that same argument for most/all of the small schools, ie they have won their titles against much weaker competition than the schools in the larger classes.  I struggled with Glades Day for that reason.  It all comes down to exactly what criteria we use to define "success."  The teams on the list will likely vary as we use different critieria.  

University Christian has been winning state titles for over 40 years.  In that sense, they are one of the more consistent programs in the state, for sure.    

Below are the programs that have won state titles in 3 or more different decades:

Bolles

Aquinas

University Chrisitan

Glades Day

North FL Christian

Glades Central

Lakeland

Pahokee

Jefferson County

Manatee

Godby

Carol City

Northwestern

Bartow

Lincoln

Pt St Joe

28 minutes ago, Tigers2017 said:

In the past 20 years in Central Florida it would be

Lakeland

Manatee

Armwood

Cocoa

Plant

..using certain criteria, Plant certainly could displace Apopka on the list.  Between 2000 and today though, Apopka made the playoffs each year and had 8 playoff wins.  Plant did not even make the playoffs those years.  The question is, how much should those "bad" years count against Plant in light of Apopka's consistency?

Concerning Osceola, one could argue that they had a much tougher road in 7A and 8A than say Cocoa did in 4A.  This year Osceola nearly beat the eventual 8A state champion and one year lost in the 7A finals to Aquinas.  

Plant and Cocoa's success is relatively recent, ie the past 10 years.   There is no right or wrong.  It is all subjective unless one defines very specific performance criteria to use for comparison.

4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

..using certain criteria, Plant certainly could displace Apopka on the list.  Between 2000 and today though, Apopka made the playoffs each year and had 8 playoff wins.  Plant did not even make the playoffs those years.  The question is, how much should those "bad" years count against Plant in light of Apopka's consistency?

Concerning Osceola, one could argue that they had a much tougher road in 7A and 8A than say Cocoa did in 4A.  This year Osceola nearly beat the eventual 8A state champion and one year lost in the 7A finals to Aquinas.  

Plant and Cocoa's success is relatively recent, ie the past 10 years.   There is no right or wrong.  It is all subjective unless one defines very specific performance criteria to use for comparison.

Using same criteria...Cocoa beat 7A runner up (Bartram) this year worse than 7A Champ did, beat 3A State Champ last year and 2 years ago beat 7A State Runner Up (Viera) 

not arguing just giving another perspective

3 hours ago, Tigers2017 said:

Using same criteria...Cocoa beat 7A runner up (Bartram) this year worse than 7A Champ did, beat 3A State Champ last year and 2 years ago beat 7A State Runner Up (Viera) 

not arguing just giving another perspective

Bartram should never have been able to win the north, watched them both first hand and in the ESPN game and they didn't strike me as a team that could win state and i knew Venice would have no trouble putting up points when they made it 

They almost pulled a choke job but fumbling the victory formation which would have led to a plant td at end of game but got lucky with them blowing a whistle 

They would have lost had they been forced to travel to Lakeland or viera 

Heck plant might have even won had they been at home instead of traveling 

12 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

South FL

St Thomas Aquinas

Belle Glades Central

Carol City

Northwestern

Southridge

I might have to lean Columbus over Southridge in that last spot.  I understand Southridge won States in 2016 but if I am not mistaken they have had about 10 seasons since 2000 at  .500 or less.  Also if I am not mistaken, Columbus has pretty much owned Southridge since 2000.

8 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I might have to lean Columbus over Southridge in that last spot.  I understand Southridge won States in 2016 but if I am not mistaken they have had about 10 seasons since 2000 at  .500 or less.  Also if I am not mistaken, Columbus has pretty much owned Southridge since 2000.

I had the same thought.  It is a very hard call.  In terms of overall consistency, Columbus is hard to beat by anyone.  If one looks at seasonal records and head-to-head competition, Columbus may very well have the edge.

If one weights playoff performance heavily in judging the two, Southridge gets the nod. 

State champions - SR 2+1tie vs Col 0

State finals appearances - SR 7 vs Col 3

Playoff records - SR (45-21) vs Col(28-23)

Columbus had some good teams in the early 80's and then went about 30 years doing little in the playoffs.  Southridge was the team to beat in the 80's and 90's.  One could argue they were the strongest program in Dade County during that time frame.

If one compares SR vs Col since 2000, it's definitely Col.  If one looks at all of history, SR has arguably had more "great" teams than Columbus over the years. 

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I had the same thought.  It is a very hard call.  In terms of overall consistency, Columbus is hard to beat by anyone.  If one looks at seasonal records and head-to-head competition, Columbus may very well have the edge.

If one weights playoff performance heavily in judging the two, Southridge gets the nod. 

State champions - SR 2+1tie vs Col 0

State finals appearances - SR 7 vs Col 3

Playoff records - SR (45-21) vs Col(28-23)

Columbus had some good teams in the early 80's and then went about 30 years doing little in the playoffs.  Southridge was the team to beat in the 80's and 90's.  One could argue they were the strongest program in Dade County during that time frame.

If one compares SR vs Col since 2000, it's definitely Col.  If one looks at all of history, SR has arguably had more "great" teams than Columbus over the years. 

Well stated.  I do believe Southridge is about to get things going again this year and will be battling for 8A Dade with Columbus.   I've actually thought Columbus is somewhat  Osceola South and  have some similar program characteristics in recent years from the sound coaching to consistency in being a winning program.  The one characteristic  that stands out to me is both Columbus and Osceola's 2014 and 2015 teams probably would have won 8A States in 2016 or 2017 IMO.