Quantcast
Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
OldSchoolLion

NFL Players Per State Per Capita - Southeast Is King

Recommended Posts

To determine the top football baby factories, cleveland.com tabulated state totals for where NFL players were born and then calculated a ranking -- based on a ratio of current players from each state to births in the early 1990s when a big share of today's players were born.  The top five states are all from the Southeast. 

23407448-mmmain.png

Rank State Ratio (y) NFL Players (x)
1 Florida 1 in 4,095 201
2 Georgia 1 in 4,132 114
3 South Carolina 1 in 4,745 51
4 Alabama 1 in 4,818 55
5 Louisiana 1 in 5,017 60
6 Hawaii 1 in 6,462 13
7 Mississippi 1 in 7,000 26
8 Nebraska 1 in 7,692 13
9 Nevada 1 in 7,833 12
10 Ohio 1 in 8,226 84
11 Texas 1 in 8,818 154
12 Tennessee 1 in 9,515 33
13 North Carolina 1 in 9,711 45
14 Wisconsin 1 in 10,786 28
15 New Jersey 1 in 10,809 47
16 Delaware 1 in 11,250 4
17 Oklahoma 1 in 11,333 18
18 Maryland 1 in 11,517 29
19 Arizona 1 in 11,680 25
20 Virginia 1 in 11,800 35
21 Pennsylvania 1 in 11,831 59
22 Missouri 1 in 12,577 26
23 California 1 in 12,809 199
24 Arkansas 1 in 13,545 11
25 Iowa 1 in 13,583 12
26 Oregon 1 in 13,769 13
27 Utah 1 in 14,182 11
28 Colorado 1 in 14,313 16
29 Idaho 1 in 14,600 5
30 Michigan 1 in 15,049 41
31 Minnesota 1 in 15,611 18
32 Washington 1 in 17,789 19
33 North Dakota 1 in 18,500 2
34 Illinois 1 in 19,452 42
35 Connecticut 1 in 20,400 10
36 Indiana 1 in 21,176 17
37 Kansas 1 in 22,857 7
38 South Dakota 1 in 23,500 2
38 West Virginia 1 in 23,500 4
40 Kentucky 1 in 25,222 9
41 Wyoming 1 in 28,000 1
42 Massachusetts 1 in 37,200 10
43 New Mexico 1 in 39,333 3
44 New York 1 in 42,552 29
45 Montana 1 in 49,000 1
46 New Hampshire 1 in 69,000 1
47 Alaska NA 0
47 Maine NA 0
47 Rhode Island NA 0
47 Vermont NA 0

nfl-players-home-statespng-fb305c4df5b052b3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

To determine the top football baby factories, cleveland.com tabulated state totals for where NFL players were born and then calculated a ranking -- based on a ratio of current players from each state to births in the early 1990s when a big share of today's players were born.  The top five states are all from the Southeast. 

23407448-mmmain.png

Rank State Ratio (y) NFL Players (x)
1 Florida 1 in 4,095 201
2 Georgia 1 in 4,132 114
3 South Carolina 1 in 4,745 51
4 Alabama 1 in 4,818 55
5 Louisiana 1 in 5,017 60
6 Hawaii 1 in 6,462 13
7 Mississippi 1 in 7,000 26
8 Nebraska 1 in 7,692 13
9 Nevada 1 in 7,833 12
10 Ohio 1 in 8,226 84
11 Texas 1 in 8,818 154
12 Tennessee 1 in 9,515 33
13 North Carolina 1 in 9,711 45
14 Wisconsin 1 in 10,786 28
15 New Jersey 1 in 10,809 47
16 Delaware 1 in 11,250 4
17 Oklahoma 1 in 11,333 18
18 Maryland 1 in 11,517 29
19 Arizona 1 in 11,680 25
20 Virginia 1 in 11,800 35
21 Pennsylvania 1 in 11,831 59
22 Missouri 1 in 12,577 26
23 California 1 in 12,809 199
24 Arkansas 1 in 13,545 11
25 Iowa 1 in 13,583 12
26 Oregon 1 in 13,769 13
27 Utah 1 in 14,182 11
28 Colorado 1 in 14,313 16
29 Idaho 1 in 14,600 5
30 Michigan 1 in 15,049 41
31 Minnesota 1 in 15,611 18
32 Washington 1 in 17,789 19
33 North Dakota 1 in 18,500 2
34 Illinois 1 in 19,452 42
35 Connecticut 1 in 20,400 10
36 Indiana 1 in 21,176 17
37 Kansas 1 in 22,857 7
38 South Dakota 1 in 23,500 2
38 West Virginia 1 in 23,500 4
40 Kentucky 1 in 25,222 9
41 Wyoming 1 in 28,000 1
42 Massachusetts 1 in 37,200 10
43 New Mexico 1 in 39,333 3
44 New York 1 in 42,552 29
45 Montana 1 in 49,000 1
46 New Hampshire 1 in 69,000 1
47 Alaska NA 0
47 Maine NA 0
47 Rhode Island NA 0
47 Vermont NA 0

nfl-players-home-statespng-fb305c4df5b052b3.png

FL is indeed king of football :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

FL is indeed king of football :D

 

Please note the level of talent per capita in Georgia and Alabama.  Florida has about double the population of Georgia and quadruple the population of Alabama.  So, when you look it that way, the states are very close in terms of NFL talent produced.   Florida has the fourth largest population of any state in the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Please note the level of talent per capita in Georgia and Alabama.  Florida has about double the population of Georgia and quadruple the population of Alabama.  So, when you look it that way, the states are very close in terms of NFL talent produced.   Florida has the fourth largest population of any state in the country.

Yes i did note the per capita 

 

We at number 1 overall and per capita 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yes i did note the per capita 

 

We at number 1 overall and per capita 

...but not by far.  So, until you come up with some other objective measures, it's not fair to say no other state comes close to Florida in terms of quality of talent.  The other southern states are very rich in talent.  They simply don't have anywhere near the population that Florida does.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...but not by far.  So, until you come up with some other objective measures, it's not fair to say no other state comes close to Florida in terms of quality of talent.  The other southern states are very rich in talent.  They simply don't have anywhere near the population that Florida does.   

States like Georgia also have much better management then FL as well as better coaches which leads to players being better developed (and more successful)

 

Who's to say FL wouldn't have a far better lead if other factors were in their favor

 

Who's to say if these states having more people means more football players 

 

 

Also something to keep in mind, a lot of population in FL also includes senior citizens who moved here to enjoy retirement near beaches 

 

So while FL has a higher population it doesn't mean that all that population leads to more players 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best method (which i think is one you used in this thread) is to judge talent based on per capita of the high school players in each state 

 

The per capita should be based on the number of high school football players in each state and how many either make it college or pro level

 

If you take it from total student population or state population then it's not going to be telling the entire story 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



  • Posts

    • It is possible this wasn’t a typical high school football game.  back in those times there were “town teams”. Teams of random people who organized to make a team and would use the name where they we’re from. The YMCA would organize teams and play high schools and college teams.  
    • Sadly, I believe that this attitude that you described exists in many Police Departments across the U.S.  These public servants need to learn to keep their personal feelings and biases at the front door. Maybe there can be some kind of reform after all of these incidents recently.
    • It is Lomas Brown, arguably one of the best offensive lineman to ever come out of Florida.  He played for great coach Buddy Goins at Miami Springs High.  He ultimately went on to become a Gator Great and had a fantastic career in the NFL.  Believe it or not, that photo shows of the best lines in south FL about 40 years ago.  Miami Springs was a powerhouse back then.   Coach Goins was at Miami Spgs for many years.  He had a team in 1993 that went undefeated and gave an absolutely loaded Southridge team(who eventually won the 5A state title) it's toughest game of the playoffs.  Imagine, 5A was the largest class then and Goins dressed out less than 30 kids on his team.   
    • Who is he? Where did he play in high school? Where did he play in college? What NFL team drafted him? 
    • I think this year in general the transfer numbers statewide will be much lower than in most years however it's likely once things go back to normal things will return to what they were before because it does feel like many people out there are already looking past covid 19   Notice how everything in social media and news stations for over 2 months was about virus but as soon as the protests starting breaking out the coverage on the virus went to back burner, it does seem the media in general ran that coverage as long as they could before giving up, now protests and looting is all the news is focused on but covid isn't gone, it just isn't being treated as the same level of importance in the news anymore and it will be same way with football     People will appreciate having it back but then after a few months they will get complacent and go back to what it was before, it is what it is and it's what the game has turned into 
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...