Thoughts on 8A Region 2

OldSchoolLion

I see Osceola as the favorite, at least on paper.  I have to say that because I have not seen them play and numbers don't always tell the story.  On average, Osceola outscored opponents 32-10 this year.   They allowed only one opponent to score more than 14 points(Jesuit).  Their defense held Viera to its lowest output of the year(14 points).  Vero outscored its opponents on average 38-12, but gave up 20 or more points to Pahokee, Venice and Treasure Coast.  What I saw during the Treasure Coast game, where Vero allowed 31 points, was concerning from a defensive standpoint.

Vero Beach has a history of getting knocked out of the playoffs in shootouts(see below).  If they end up playing Osceola and getting in a shootout with them, I doubt Vero could score enough points to win.  Vero only managed to score 20-21 points versus Centennial and Sebastian River.  Manatee and Riverview have shown an ability to put points on the board(and give up a lot of points, too), and games between them and Vero could end up being shootouts as well.  I watched some of the game between Manatee and Riverview and wasn't blown away by either team.

I have watched quite a bit of Vero this year, and their defense simply does not have the look of a 8A state champion defense.  In 2017, Dr Phillips allowed 7 points in both the semi and final and none of their playoff opponents scored more than 19 points.  In 2016, Southridge allowed 27 points total against its 5 playoff opponents.  In 2015, Flanagan allowed 24 points total against its 5 playoff opponents.  Most of the teams that won 8A state titles over the past 10 years had outstanding defenses.   

These are just observations, so take them for what they are worth...not much.:)  Predicting high school kids is scary business on many fronts.     

2017 Riverview 35-28

2016 Dr Phillips 34-24

2015 Osceola 42-35

2014 Manatee 47-28

2013 Manatee 34-28

2012 East Lake 29-7

2011 East Lake 41-22

44 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I see Osceola as the favorite, at least on paper.  I have to say that because I have not seen them play and numbers don't always tell the story.  On average, Osceola outscored opponents 32-10 this year.   They allowed only one opponent to score more than 14 points(Jesuit).  Their defense held Viera to its lowest output of the year(14 points).  Vero outscored its opponents on average 38-12, but gave up 20 or more points to Pahokee, Venice and Treasure Coast.  What I saw during the Treasure Coast game, where Vero allowed 31 points, was concerning from a defensive standpoint.

Vero Beach has a history of getting knocked out of the playoffs in shootouts(see below).  If they end up playing Osceola and getting in a shootout with them, I doubt Vero could score enough points to win.  Vero only managed to score 20-21 points versus Centennial and Sebastian River.  Manatee and Riverview have shown an ability to put points on the board(and give up a lot of points, too), and games between them and Vero could end up being shootouts as well.  I watched some of the game between Manatee and Riverview and wasn't blown away by either team.

I have watched quite a bit of Vero this year, and their defense simply does not have the look of a 8A state champion defense.  In 2017, Dr Phillips allowed 7 points in both the semi and final and none of their playoff opponents scored more than 19 points.  In 2016, Southridge allowed 27 points total against its 5 playoff opponents.  In 2015, Flanagan allowed 24 points total against its 5 playoff opponents.  Most of the teams that won 8A state titles over the past 10 years had outstanding defenses.   

These are just observations, so take them for what they are worth...not much.:)  Predicting high school kids is scary business on many fronts.     

2017 Riverview 35-28

2016 Dr Phillips 34-24

2015 Osceola 42-35

2014 Manatee 47-28

2013 Manatee 34-28

2012 East Lake 29-7

2011 East Lake 41-22

I agree with you 95% but alot of these games, Vero was in some bad deficits like against Osceola it was 42-21 in like the fourth qt, Dr Phillips had us in a 34-17 deficit in fourth quarter and last year Riverview lead us 28-7 at halftime.....I said that about Vero and the Treasure Coast game I said that game will let us know if Vero was a deep playoff team or not and guess what I don't see them getting past the third round in fact I really can see Riverview ending the season again IMO