Best rivaries

DisabledAccount

Like Columbia vs Suwannee

Pro's and con's of long standing rivals:  One hand it makes for great tradition, the stories, the history, and sense of community pride.  One the down side, fans and alums tend to put more emphasis on winning the rivalry games and accept being a regional power instead of striving to become a state power.  If your rivals aren't any good, now you have a weak schedule.  

The thing with Columbia and Suwannee is that Suwannee is a good team for the 5A but they struggle against higher classes but used to be they could beat them but they haven't been that level for a while, since 2011 we have averaged winning by at least 20 points which not good thing for a rivalry game as it shows it being too one sided and until Suwannee can get a win no one outside of Columbia and Suwannee county care about this game, their last win was 2007 and only 2 wins since 2000 hurts the rivalry as a whole and while it has a rivalry feel the second the game starts its clear who the better team is, as for worrying too much about it, we care about winning but while some has to do with bragging rights a lot also has to do with being first November game for us and getting momentum heading into the playoffs which lately has kept us on game but currently 8 straight Columbia wins makes this rivalry uninteresting to most of state because their is a clear team in control and not a lot of debate on who will likely win the matchup

When I was in 9th grade, my Hardee Wildcats played Live Oak Suwanee for the state title.  Live Oak won the state title 4 years straight, 1987-1990.    Hardee was 8-2 in the regular season that year and beat Orlando Jones and Key West in the playoffs.  There was a 3-way tie in the district and we advanced.  Our rival, Desoto, was 9-1 and beat.  Palmetto had beaten Desoto 14-13 to force the 3-way tie.  Back then only district champs advanced and tie breakers were done from the 10 yard line.  I always though DeSoto would have had a better chance against Live Oak than we did.  I remember Live Oak use to play, and beat, Lakeland back then.