Everything comes around

FSULOVER

6 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

I was in 10th grade in 1989 and remember that season like it was yesterday.  This was our district and records - 8 team district and only the district champ got to go to the playoffs.  We had a 4 way tie that was determined by Kansas City tiebreaker. 

Hardee 8-2

Desoto 8-2

Okeechobee 8-2

Avon Park 7-3

Sebring 6-4

Lake Wales 4-6

Haines City 2-8

Mulberry 1-9

Avon Park ended up winning the tiebreaker. 

That was when winning your district was a big deal.  

On 10/7/2023 at 9:08 AM, FSULOVER said:
Thought some of yall might find this interesting.  Records of some teams from 1989.  Everyone today so worried about equity.  Used to have to pay your dues and accept your program might be down years at a time.  Now people jumping off the cliff wanting to "fix" the playoff system to make things fair if things not going there way.  There was a time when metro schools and privates did not dominate but they didnt bitch.

Armwood   0-10
Clearwater Central Catholic   2-8
Cocoa   2-8
Jesuit    4-6
Lake Wales   4-6
Mainland   0-10
Miami Central    4-6
Miami Norland   2-8
Miami Northwestern   4-6
Naples   1-8
St Thomas   4-6

The difference between 1989 and 2023 is this: OPEN ENROLLMENT... Yes open enrollment did not exist in 1989. You went to your home school. Hence there is a need to fix classifications now. It is not the same anymore.

12 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

The difference between 1989 and 2023 is this: OPEN ENROLLMENT... Yes open enrollment did not exist in 1989. You went to your home school. Hence there is a need to fix classifications now. It is not the same anymore.

But there will always be things about ANY system people think are unfair.  Take the 25 years between 1970-1994.  Dade and Broward county teams each only won a handful of state titles during those years despite dwarfing most other counties.  Despite their size, the class/playoff structure meant that only one team from a county would make a title game.  People thought that was unfair.  Many very good teams did not even make the playoffs.

Agree that open enrollment is a huge difference.  But so is the mindset of people.  If im not making the playoffs or winning, there must be something unfair with the system.  Open enrollment itself is not the problem.  The problem is the coaches and parents who allow kids to move without consequences like waiting a year before I let you play.     

19 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Larger districts minimum. I like 8 teams. That way the runner up should deserve a spot. Unless you had the at large bids 

3 hours ago, FSULOVER said:

But there will always be things about ANY system people think are unfair.  Take the 25 years between 1970-1994.  Dade and Broward county teams each only won a handful of state titles during those years despite dwarfing most other counties.  Despite their size, the class/playoff structure meant that only one team from a county would make a title game.  People thought that was unfair.  Many very good teams did not even make the playoffs.

Agree that open enrollment is a huge difference.  But so is the mindset of people.  If im not making the playoffs or winning, there must be something unfair with the system.  Open enrollment itself is not the problem.  The problem is the coaches and parents who allow kids to move without consequences like waiting a year before I let you play.     

Who on here is familiar with the system used for the 1999 & 2000 seasons? I personally thought it was the best ever yet its been kicked to the curb and nearly forgotten about.  Six classes (I would do seven now) with 3 districts per region. That meant districts typically had 5 or more teams.  Districts Champions and runners-up automatically got in the playoffs. There were 2 at-large spots that the 2 with the best overall records but not a champ or runner-up got. Strength of schedule was used in event of a tie for the at large sports.  Now of course I would probably go with 3 district Champs and 5 at large spots with more imphasis on strength of schedule.  But still, that system worked well and produced some interesting playoff matches.  

As for open enrollment: It's gotten completely out of control and needs some rules. I personally don't have a problem with a legitimate move into a new school zone. I feel that if a parent or guardian can show proof they moved into a new school zone, their student athlete should be allowed to play no matter what.  However if they haven't moved and just decided I want to go somewhere else for whatever reason, then the student athlete should only be allowed to play JV their first season at the new school.  I would consider an exception for seniors.