OSCEOLA - EDGEWATER - DELAND JAMBOREE

Ray Icaza

Each team played a full half against each other for a total of 3 halves so obviously a long night.  Rules did include no kickoff or punt returns and my guess is each team was missing a few key players.   I know we were down 3 D-lineman and 3 Linebackers including two starters but we do have a little depth although young and inexperienced.  All in all, teams looked pretty good and should be of playoff quality.  We started off with Edgewater for the first half and they moved the ball very effectively against our defense but could not complete those two early drives for points.  After that we were pretty dialed in to what they were running and were able to pitch a shutout for the half.  We started slow offensively, but managed to improve as the half went on.  Finally, got about a 50 yard run from Taevion Swint which was the difference maker in that half......7-0 OHS Kowboys.  

In the second half between Edgewater and Deland the Eagles came right out of the gate with a monster run for a touchdown on the very first play.  Both teams showed some good things but Deland hurt themselves with self inflicted errors  ........ dropped pass for TD, INT, fumble, etc.. so was unable to put up points the entire half despite good QB play.  Edgewater managed another TD and FG to end that half victorious .......16-0.

In the final half between Deland and OHS, the Bulldogs showed some good things but turnovers, self inflicted errors cost them again.  OHS managed two scores on great long runs from Taevion Swint who had a monster night.  Final score was OHS 14-0. 

Final thought was that our local media has really been building up the Edgewater star Semaj Fleming and he is an excellent player.  But those who sat in those stands tonight could see that Taevion is back and he is definitely the better player.   Everyone have a great summer and look forward to the upcoming season.  

1 hour ago, Longtime Observer said:

Sounds like a good night for the Kowboys! It is a bit suprising to see Sexy Beast's offense shut out for the night, but those are probably two really good defenses he had to face.

They managed to move the ball fairly well against both teams as the QB made good decisions with his feet and his arm but errors cost them.  In the Edgewater game with the score 7-0 Deland moved the ball right down the field and the QB hit a wide open receiver in stride from about 20 yards out and he dropped it for which should have been a sure score.  They had some other miscues against both teams that would have probably put points on the board, just wasn't their night. I think our defense has a chance to be extremely good again this year despite losing a half dozen very good players to area teams like Jones, DP, The First Academy and even Poinciana.  We did manage an excellent transfer from St. Cloud HS that will be a great addition to our O-line, 6'6" 290 lbs. Connor Howes who is eligible starting on June 1.   Wouldn't read too much into the scores as this was a Jamboree and the work over the next 3 months will tell the story.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Muckboy here!!! GC Raiders all day!!!! Let's go Raiders!!!!
    • My enthusiasm for the upcoming season is tempered by the reality that 95% of teams have no chance of winning a state championship.  I personally don't feel this is good for the long-term health of Florida high school football, but others may disagree.  I don't want to rehash the Metro-Suburban argument, but I foresee a large number of blowouts in the playoffs this year. Here in northwest Florida, a great season is when several teams make it to a Region final game.  In the current environment, the odds of a team from northwest Florida winning a state title are almost zero, maybe once in 10 years if the stars align perfectly.  So it is a matter of adjusting expectations and enjoying the spirit of high school football where it exists.  Yes, there are a handful of transfers in these parts, but generally there is a "community" feel to the competition.  Here, attendance is generally very good, rivalries are intense, the bands are robust, and the players play hard, even if they are not the most talented. I will be rooting for some underdogs across the state to make a run this year, but the reality is the usual suspects will likely dominate again.  Good luck to each of your teams!  One month until kickoff...  
    • You right and I think coaching plays a part as well. You see Teddy Bridgewater is back at his high school Northwestern and they've gotten tons of transfers in
    • So, let's break this down.  Schools cannot control what their fans do, but schools can be punished if certain of their fans break the rules.  Is this fair?  I don't know.  But it is the way the rules are written.  If you start sending out text messages to kids suggesting they 'come play for Venice,' and you are not a representative of Venice's athletic interests, no one gets into trouble.  Although you may lose a few friends in Lakeland.   Can a kid who receives multiple text messages decide to selectively turn in certain teams, but not others?  Yes.  Does that happen?  Not in my experience.  To the contrary, kids/parents that have been a part of the shady underworld of high school recruiting/transferring tend to do whatever they can to stay quiet and under the radar for fear of getting caught in the punishment net.  As I have said many times (not necessarily on this site), most kids who get contacted by other schools take it as a compliment.  It makes them (and their parents) feel good.  "Dang, look at all these other schools/coaches that want me/my son to come play for them.  That's pretty cool. They're nice guys; why should I turn them in?"  And if the kid or his parents are the ones reaching out to other schools to gauge any interest that other schools might have, well, those are going to be the last kids/parents to want to turn anyone in.  With all due respect, it appears to me that you are trying to make the argument that the existing rules need to be changed.  That may be true.  But, as you have seen with NIL, once the camel gets his nose in the tent, the rest of the body is sure to follow.  Or you can go with the Pandora's Box analogy.   Either way, it'll get crazy. 
    • The rules can be clear, but the individual situations not as clear. "Plausible deniability" is a beast. How can a school or coach possibly police the private messaging of one of their fans? It's not possible for John Peacock to peer into the private inboxes of every single person on the planet who may cheer for Venice and may want to send a hotshot recruit a message saying "come play for Venice!". Not to mention rogue actors. I've rooted against Venice in the state title game the last couple of years. What's to stop me from messaging a top recruit and saying "You should play for Venice" in hopes of getting the message reported and Venice in trouble? (I don't message kids or their parents as I personally find it creepy). There are just myriad scenarios where any reasonable person can tell what's going on without having much confidence it can hold up under investigation, in court etc. The other aspect is kids/parents who may receive such messages from a dozen other schools. Do they get to be selective and turn one or two in and ignore the rest? If a Lakeland fan contacts a kid from, say, Bloomingdale and encourages them to play for Lakeland, but the kid goes and plays for Armwood instead (and someone from Armwood had reached out in much the same way as the Lakeland fan), who's guilty? What if the same kid also heard from Sumner and Tampa Bay Tech and ten other schools? It's all a mess. *Every* school is trying to attract as many good players- be it incoming 9th graders or transfers- as possible. Oftentimes, style of play and depth chart are significant factors, and those require conversations of some sort to clarify. 
  • Popular Contributors