Florida gators

DisabledAccount

8 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Why should the NCAA get money off these players 

If there is extra money it should go to schools not some waste of space like the NCAA administration 

I'm not saying the NCAA should get money or they shouldn't make money off of them.  I'm saying allow the players to have the freedom of turning professional.  Stop handcuffing their career paths to NCAA sports is what I am saying.  If the NCAA allowed that , everyone is responsible for their own decisions, right?

No one would be holding these kids hostage for 2-3 year, all accountability and responsibilities would be held to the athletes at that point.  

1 minute ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I'm not saying the NCAA should get money off of them.  I'm saying allow the players to have the freedom of turning professional.

I agree 

They shouldn't be forced to sit out, they are 18 if they want to turn pro let them, if they fail they don't get to come play college but it should be their right, the NCAA forces them with 3 year rule to protect their investment 

Why are 16 and 17 year old Baseball, and Hockey players fit to get drafted, sign multi-million dollar contracts  for a man's game in the NHL.  But a 18 year old basketball phenom is held as a hostage?

Bc the NCAA markets off their players so if they go pro immediately they lose money

9 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Bc the NCAA markets off their players so if they go pro immediately they lose money

That is my point.  The NCAA will tell you otherwise though and don't think there are not closed door happenings with the NBA and NFL.  There are kickbacks in one form or another in the monopoly.  

Do you really think if the NBA and NFL were not in kahoots with the NCAA and they were missing out on billions of dollars in young athletes they would not go to bat and file a federal class action law suit against the freedoms of these athletes?

It is all a massive white collar monopoly in fine print that probably even extends to politicians etc...

4 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

That is my point.  The NCAA will tell you otherwise though and don't think there are not closed door happenings with the NBA and NFL.  Their are kickbacks in one form or another in the monopoly.  

Do you really think if the NBA and NFL were not in kahoots with the NCAA and they were missing out on billions of dollars in young athletes they would not go to bat and file a federal class action law suit against the freedoms of these athletes?

It is all a massive white collar monopoly in fine print that probably even extends to politicians etc...

Idc if the extra money goes to colleges or athletes but 1 thing for sure

Mark emmerit and every worker in the NCAA don't deserve a dime of that money 

It is interesting that in the United States we  deem 18 year olds fit physically and mentally by their own decision (or by force by registering for the draft) to carry M4s, M16s, be subject to potential chemical attacks, drive and walk through IED or land mine laden areas, have scud missiles launched at them but they are not mature and responsible enough to pick up a basketball or football and become financially independent....

Only in America.  Only in America are athletes held hostage like that.  That is why HS basketball players are now going over to Europe, becoming citizens so they can come back to the US at a young age to play in the NBA.  We only hold our own citizens hostage to their dreams.

Ever seen fair market calculation for a college football player. The cost for attending UF in-state is about 20K and out-of-state is about 40K. Like I said this doesn't excuse any person for committing a crime and should be punished for the crime. And this situation a UF seems more for greed than need. But I just feel a lot of these crimes that involve student athlete and money may be avoided with more compensation.  The coaches and athletic directors make millions because of these kids. Kids and their parents shouldn't have to struggle. So $600 a month may be enough for the student, but what if his/her parents are struggling to survive. Capture.PNG.8f1e70344ceff5ebafe8ff0b46cd59ec.PNG

Just now, BrowardHandicapper said:

It is interesting that in the United States we see deem 18 year olds fit by their own decision (or force by registering for the draft) to carry M4s, M16s, be subject to potential chemical attacks, drive and walk through IED or land mine laden areas, have scud missiles launched at them but they are not mature and responsible enough to pick up a basketball or football and become financially independent....

Again broward they are,  it's all about the $

Specifically the $ that NCAA lose by them declaring

13 minutes ago, blackmagic said:

Ever seen fair market calculation for a college football player. The cost for attending UF in-state is about 20K and out-of-state is about 40K. Like I said this doesn't excuse any person for committing a crime and should be punished for the crime. And this situation a UF seems more for greed than need. But I just feel a lot of these crimes that involve student athlete and money may be avoided with more compensation.  The coaches and athletic directors make millions because of these kids. Kids and their parents shouldn't have to struggle. So $600 a month may be enough for the student, but what if his/her parents are struggling to survive. Capture.PNG.8f1e70344ceff5ebafe8ff0b46cd59ec.PNG

My answer and solution is simply to not hold the athletes hostage.  Whey you are 18 you are legally a adult.  You can be prosecuted as a adult but you can't play basketball and football as a career.  

Free the athletes from the NCAA and the opportunities, burden and excuses are on the individuals.  That is the way it is for everyone else in society.  We should be allowed to make our own decisions at 18 , for the better or worse - not the NCAA knows what's best for us.

I'm not buying an excuse for these crimes.  What happens if these athletes were allowed to free try out for the NFL , failed and were still broke -  and did the same crime?  Is that acceptable?

My answer and solution is simply to not hold the athletes hostage.  Whey you are 18 you are legally a adult.  You can be prosecuted as a adult but you can't play basketball and football as a career.  

Free the athletes from the NCAA and the opportunities burden and excuses are on the individuals.

I'm not buying an excuse for these crimes.  What happens if these athletes were to allowed , to free try out for the NFL , were still broke failed and did the same crime?  Is that acceptable?

Not once have I excused the crime. I specifically said "this doesn't excuse any person for committing a crime and should be punished for the crime." I believe a lot of these crimes MAY NOT happen if the kids AND FAMILIES are compensated better. How about don't pay for any of their schooling. Make it a requirement to be a student at the school you wish to attend and give them $100K.  Let them pay for their own schooling.

5 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I'm not saying the NCAA should get money or they shouldn't make money off of them.  I'm saying allow the players to have the freedom of turning professional.  Stop handcuffing their career paths to NCAA sports is what I am saying.  If the NCAA allowed that , everyone is responsible for their own decisions, right?

No one would be holding these kids hostage for 2-3 year, all accountability and responsibilities would be held to the athletes at that point.  

Broward........You can't blame the colleges for wanting to retain players that they have invested a lot of time and money in. After all, the administration and coaches have to have some expectation that the players they recruit will be around for more than a season. Otherwise many of the best players may not even be recruited since they will have a path to the NFL rather quickly and will be lost to the college team. There is also the expectation, at least in theory, that an athlete is also a student who wishes to pursue a degree. You can't even make a pretense of obtaining a degree if you're going to jump ship for the NFL at the first opportunity. 

7 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Broward........You can't blame the colleges for wanting to retain players that they have invested a lot of time and money in. After all, the administration and coaches have to have some expectation that the players they recruit will be around for more than a season. Otherwise many of the best players may not even be recruited since they will have a path to the NFL rather quickly and will be lost to the college team. There is also the expectation, at least in theory, that an athlete is also a student who wishes to pursue a degree. You can't even make a pretense of obtaining a degree if you're going to jump ship for the NFL at the first opportunity. 

It's not just that though

As blackmagic said even if the players are taken care of their families are not 

Maybe if they want to keep them in college and not declare so early The NCAA and colleges should work on making a program to assist families of poor backgrounds struggling to survive if they have kids going to college, these players aren't being selfish in my opinion, while some are premadonas the majority are like everyone else and want to take care of themselves and people they care about, truthfully something like that should be considered, screw NCAA rules about it, just because the players are good don't mean the family they left behind to attend school don't need help themselves 

10 hours ago, Proseteye said:

But why is that concept more permitted and more acceptable for sports like hockey and baseball?

I like to see kids pursue degrees, and I am not blaming colleges, I just want question why this rule only applies to basketball and football student athletes?

3 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

But why is that concept more permitted and more acceptable for sports like hockey and baseball?

I like to see kids pursue degrees, and I am not blaming colleges, I just want question why this rule only applies to basketball and football student athletes?

$$$

Those 2 sports are only ones NCAA makes a big enough profit for them to care about 

18 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It's not just that though

As blackmagic said even if the players are taken care of their families are not 

Maybe if they want to keep them in college and not declare so early The NCAA and colleges should work on making a program to assist families of poor backgrounds struggling to survive if they have kids going to college, these players aren't being selfish in my opinion, while some are premadonas the majority are like everyone else and want to take care of themselves and people they care about, truthfully something like that should be considered, screw NCAA rules about it, just because the players are good don't mean the family they left behind to attend school don't need help themselves 

So what about families of a poor background with a college student that does not play football or any sports?

Just give them the same freedoms of any other 18 year old in America and allow them to choose their own path.  Some kids jump right into plumbing, auto mechanics etc..at 18.  Let these kids jump into their passion.  Make it so no one is making decisions for them and forcing them against their will.  

Do you know how many kids in America come from poor families,  want to college, land 40 hour a week jobs at fast food joints ?  Give these players the same freedoms to go get paid and take care of their families.

There are a lot of underpaid people working in sweatshops in the US and  around the world that there has drastically more capitalization and mark up on then what they are doing.  Take a look at your clothes and sneakers and ask yourself if the individual that made that was compensate fairly. 

I sympathize for these student athletes because their freedoms are taken away from them , not because they are in such a bad financial situation in life.  They talk about being able to take care of their families ,  free them to go try to play their passion.  That way the responsibility is on the individual for the better or worse.  

4 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

So what about families of a poor background with a college student that does not play football or any sports?

Just give them the same freedoms of any other 18 year old in America and allow them to choose their own path.  Some kids jump right into plumbing, auto mechanics etc..at 18.  Let these kids jump into their passion.  Make it so no one is making decisions for them and forcing them against their will.  

There are a lot of underpaid people working in sweatshops in the US and  around the world that there is drastically more capitilazation and mark up on then what they are doing.  Take a look at your clothes and sneakers and ask yourself if the individual that made that was compensate fairly.   I sympathize for these student athletes because their freedoms are taken away from them , not because they are in such a bad financial situation in life.  They talk about being able to take care of their families ,  free them to go try to play their passion.

Exactly but that isn't what they get 

Basketball players are held hostage for a year,  football for 3

They need to get rid of that rule and before people speak of colleges potentially waste scholarships, well then decide prior to recruiting do you want guy who may declare early or stay for full scholarship 

All the time they spend talking to players I'm sure they can figure out where a player stands 

4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

And fyi broward reread what you bolded, i said anyone attending college not just athletes 

I factored the topic at hand into that sentence but point taken.  That is a whole different topic but if you want financial aid quickly, surrender your citizenship at 14 move to another country , graduate HS as a "A" student and you will likely have more financial aid and grants available then you know what to do with.  You will have more opportunities at college tuition paid for then any middle class US student.

6 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I factored the topic at hand into that sentence but point taken.  That is a whole different topic but if you want financial aid quickly, surrender your citizenship at 14 move to another country , graduate HS as a "A" student and you will likely have more financial aid and grants available then you know what to do with.  You will have more opportunities at college tuition paid for then any middle class US student.

Too late i already graduated as a American high school student lol