Question about 2017 Recruits

OldSchoolLion

Am curious, does anyone have stories of a kid who was not on the radar, transferred, and then got a Power 5 scholarship who likely would not have not gotten that scholarship if he had not transferred?  I realize this is subjective.  My reason for asking is that a lot of the kids I am thinking of who got Power 5 scholarships already had one before transferring or probably didn't need to transfer to get one.

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Am curious, does anyone have stories of a kid who was not on the radar, transferred, and then got a Power 5 scholarship who likely would not have not gotten that scholarship if he had not transferred?  I realize this is subjective.  My reason for asking is that a lot of the kids I am thinking of who got Power 5 scholarships already had one before transferring or probably didn't need to transfer to get one.

I can think of a few....WR Samuel Oshodi out of Coral Glades from 2017 is one...

11 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Here is a quick documented and dated story of a kid that recently was a little under the radar, transferred that may not have had any offers if he had not transferred.  Did not have any FBS or FCS offers whatsoever until he transferred from Monarch to STA.

Coincidence with the timing of the offers after the transfer from Monarch to STA.  I don't think so....

Here is dated proof of STA DB/WR Xavier Restrepo making the move Monarch to STA and the Power 5 offers flying in days later. With all due respect to Monarch, I doubt he is looking back....

Sorry for playing devil's advocate :ph34r:

Does anyone think the young man and his family made a mistake by transferring from Monarch to STA to open up doors for his future?

Wells DusenburyVerified account @DuseReport
FollowingFollowing @DuseReport
More

2020 ATH Xavier Restrepo has transferred from Monarch to St. Thomas Aquinas. @XavierRestrepo1 was a first-team defense All-County selection as a sophomore.

11:39 AM - 28 Dec 2017

43ddlr97_bigger.jpgXavier Restrepo @XavierRestrepo1
FollowFollow @XavierRestrepo1
More

Extremely blessed to receive my 1st offer from Vanderbilt!!!! SEC!!!!! @CoachHarriott @SlyJohnson3 such a blessing!!!!

2:40 PM - 4 Jan 2018

2ojbZXi__bigger.jpgJay Wimbrow @jaywimbrow
FollowFollow @jaywimbrow
More

Less then 2 weeks after transferring to St Thomas Aquinas @XavierRestrepo1 has picked up 4 D1 offers (Louisville, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, And Kentucky)

4:49 PM - 5 Jan 2018

Now with 6 Power Five Offers according to 247Sports:

Am curious, does anyone have stories of a kid who was not on the radar, transferred, and then got a Power 5 scholarship who likely would not have not gotten that scholarship if he had not transferred? 

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Here is a quick documented and dated story of a kid that recently was a little under the radar, transferred that may not have had any offers if he had not transferred.  Did not have any FBS or FCS offers whatsoever until he transferred from Monarch to STA.

Coincidence with the timing of the offers after the transfer from Monarch to STA.  I don't think so....

Here is dated proof of STA DB/WR Xavier Restrepo making the move Monarch to STA and the Power 5 offers flying in days later. With all due respect to Monarch, I doubt he is looking back....

Sorry for playing devil's advocate :ph34r:

Does anyone think the young man and his family made a mistake by transferring from Monarch to STA to open up doors for his future?

Appreciate the response.

...my original question..."Am curious, does anyone have stories of a kid who was not on the radar, transferred, and then got a Power 5 scholarship who likely would not have not gotten that scholarship if he had not transferred?" 

As a sophomore, I think it is a bit too early to tell if this kid would/would not have gotten such offers had he stayed at Monarch at least one more year.  If he is really that good, maybe so.   

I am looking for cases where, let's say, a kid has finished his junior year, has no recruiting interest from any FBS colleges, no stars, then transfers, gets some stars and lands a Power 5 scholarship(s) his senior year.  In other words, am looking for a case(s) where a 3 or 4 star athlete was completely missed by the Power 5 schools his first 3 years simply because the school he had been attending did not have a big name program.  That would be a compelling case for the benefits of transferring.

Concerning opening up doors...guess it depends what doors he/his family want opened.  ...doors for a pro football career?  Realistically, I don't think a 5'10" white/latin kid is making the NFL as a CB or WR.  Of the 175 cornerbacks in the NFL, 170 are black.  Nor do I think he has a very good chance of starting at CB or WR for a Power 5 school.  Probably has a better chance of playing at a smaller school, so is getting a scholarship to one of the big names really buying him anything other than a place on the bench?

...doors for a better education?  Say the kid would not have been able to get an academic scholarship to Vanderbilt and football gets him there.  That could be a positive.  But if he pursues an engineering or other technical degree, he may very well struggle to keep up with his studies AND expectations of the football coach and bomb out.  An engineering degree from Vandy..that will buy you something in the workplace.  ...a general studies degree..probably no more valuable than the same degree staying home and going to FIU.  

8 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Am curious, does anyone have stories of a kid who was not on the radar, transferred, and then got a Power 5 scholarship who likely would not have not gotten that scholarship if he had not transferred? 

Appreciate the response.

...my original question..."Am curious, does anyone have stories of a kid who was not on the radar, transferred, and then got a Power 5 scholarship who likely would not have not gotten that scholarship if he had not transferred?" 

As a sophomore, I think it is a bit too early to tell if this kid would/would not have gotten such offers had he stayed at Monarch at least one more year.  If he is really that good, maybe so.   

I am looking for cases where, let's say, a kid has finished his junior year, has no recruiting interest from any FBS colleges, no stars, then transfers, gets some stars and lands a Power 5 scholarship(s) his senior year.  In other words, am looking for a case(s) where a 3 or 4 star athlete was completely missed by the Power 5 schools his first 3 years simply because the school he had been attending did not have a big name program.  That would be a compelling case for the benefits of transferring.

Concerning opening up doors...guess it depends what doors he/his family want opened.  ...doors for a pro football career?  Realistically, I don't think a 5'10" white/latin kid is making the NFL as a CB or WR.  Of the 175 cornerbacks in the NFL, 170 are black.  Nor do I think he has a very good chance of starting at CB or WR for a Power 5 school.  Probably has a better chance of playing at a smaller school, so is getting a scholarship to one of the big names really buying him anything other than a place on the bench?

...doors for a better education?  Say the kid would not have been able to get an academic scholarship to Vanderbilt and football gets him there.  That could be a positive.  But if he pursues an engineering or other technical degree, he may very well struggle to keep up with his studies AND expectations of the football coach and bomb out.  An engineering degree from Vandy..that will buy you something in the workplace.  ...a general studies degree..probably no more valuable than the same degree staying home and going to FIU.  

Not sure how this topic turned to race but here we are....- Again

Are you suggesting that your evaluation of the kid’s skin color holds more weight then power five recruiters evaluation of the kid’s skill set?

Maybe UM, Georgia, and Texas don’t know talent well and just like throwing scholarships at 10th graders for fun?

Just read your response please... You are talking like you know this kid’s academic and athletic limitations. It is almost as if you don’t want the kid to succeed athletically or academically. I just don’t get it...

9 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Are you suggesting that your evaluation of the kid’s skin color holds more weight then power five recruiters evaluation of the kid’s skill set?

Maybe UM, Georgia, and Texas don’t know talent well and just like throwing scholarships at 10th graders for fun?

Just read your response please... You are talking like you know this kid’s academic and athletic limitations. It is almost as if you don’t want the kid to succeed athletically or academically. I just don’t get it...

...not at all.  I am simply realistic.  Many top-tier NCAA football players today are struggling to juggle academics, athletics, and all of life's other "expectations," ie social media.  Graduation rates are poor.  Half of NFL players never complete their degree.  Football  takes a lot of time away from the books.  So, to keep up, many kids pursue degrees that do little to increase their chances of landing a higher paying job after college.    

I worked a job to support family and was pre-med, in addition to athletics.  I nearly screwed up my "other" career putting so much emphasis on athletics.  And I had it easy compared to kids today because I didn't have all of the distractions of social media.  For that reason, I would be cautious in counseling a kid to take that on, especially a kid who has a snowball's chance in hell of making the NFL. 

Race comes in because...reality.  Blacks dominate the NFL and the NBA for a reason.  Check out the video below.  The last starting white cb in the NFL...2002.   A white kid who isn't a qb, kicker or lineman making the NFL is like winning the lottery.  Check out the numbers at the link below.  

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-nfls-racial-divide/

So, if I had a 5'10" white son, I would be encouraging him to focus on the books in hs and college, because that energy is much more likely to pay off down the road than time on the field.  Sure we should encourage kids to pursue their dreams, but for many that pursuit is simply too much pressure.   For those who say, "Well, my son needs football to get to college." BS-anyone who works hard enough and is aggressive enough can get academic scholarships and work to pay the rest, like many of us did.  And if the kid isn't mentally capable of doing that..well, that kid probably doesn't belong in college.

34 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...not at all.  I am simply realistic.  Many top-tier NCAA football players today are struggling to juggle academics, athletics, and all of life's other "expectations," ie social media.  Graduation rates are poor.  Half of NFL players never complete their degree.  Football  takes a lot of time away from the books.  So, to keep up, many kids pursue degrees that do little to increase their chances of landing a higher paying job after college.    

I worked a job to support family and was pre-med, in addition to athletics.  I nearly screwed up my "other" career putting so much emphasis on athletics.  And I had it easy compared to kids today because I didn't have all of the distractions of social media.  For that reason, I would be cautious in counseling a kid to take that on, especially a kid who has a snowball's chance in hell of making the NFL. 

Race comes in because...reality.  Blacks dominate the NFL and the NBA for a reason.  Check out the video below.  The last starting white cb in the NFL...2002.   A white kid who isn't a qb, kicker or lineman making the NFL is like winning the lottery.  Check out the numbers at the link below.  

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-nfls-racial-divide/

So, if I had a 5'10" white son, I would be encouraging him to focus on the books in hs and college, because that energy is much more likely to pay off down the road than time on the field.  Sure we should encourage kids to pursue their dreams, but for many that pursuit is simply too much pressure.   For those who say, "Well, my son needs football to get to college." BS-anyone who works hard enough and is aggressive enough can get academic scholarships and work to pay the rest, like many of us did.  And if the kid isn't mentally capable of doing that..well, that kid probably doesn't belong in college.

I'm not disputing the statistics.  I'm wondering how and why you twisted this topic to race?  

Keep in mind you are talking about a 15 or 16 year old kid here.  The NFL should not even be brought up regardless of race.

Now with this recent post that you have made (which by numbers I am not disputing)...Should we look at all professions in the world, break them down by race and advise our youth to look at other options in many cases?

If you hypothetically had a black son who was excelling in say science, wanted to be a astronaut, and as a tenth grader already had academic scholarship offers would you told tell him that  NASA and astronomy was dominated by whites and advise him to consider focusing on another career?

Let me ask you this I happened to use this player as a example be cause I figured it somewhat fit the question/topic.  If this player had been black as a 10th grader, would we be this far off topic and at this point in the post right now?

10 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Am not "evaluating" the kid's skin color.  If this white/latino kid, with his build(assuming he stays 6'0 or less), is truly good enough to play wr, s or cb at a Power 5, he is a freak of nature, and he would have college scouts all over him if he was hiding in a cave.  Look at the current top 100 recruits at these positions and  see how many white kids there are under 6'2"...a handful. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=CB

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=S

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=WR

10 year-olds are getting offers now.  It's all a game...make an offer "just in case" we really want to pursue him later on.  These offers come with no guarantee, and colleges are pulling scholarships weeks before signing day.  So, yes, I believe colleges are throwing offers around very casually, especially with underclassmen.  Colleges have no idea how they will mature or if they will even be academically eligible. 

Assuming the kid truly needed to go to STA to get those offers, I would question whether he truly has the skills to start at one of the above positions at a power 5 school.  It's not a matter of not wanting the kid to succeed...am just being realistic.

The problem with these offers is that they seduce the kid into thinking he is better than he really is, which may cause some kids to spend too much time running off to camps and tweeting about football when they could be focusing on the books instead.  ...not to mention the huge letdown when they get to college and are "just another kid."       

Not disputing this information...

Getting back to the original topic..... These offers flat out were not available at his previous school.  There are others out there but next time I will be sure not to use a white, asian, indian, latino, arab or of of mixed descent WR/DB as  an example even though it was not relevant to the topic.  Cannot believe what it led to on this string...

The rest of the rhetoric is what you foresee for this individual based on the numbers and your personal opinion. Fair enough?

4 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Not disputing this information...

Getting back to the original topic..... These offers flat out were not available at his previous school.

The rest of the rhetoric is what you foresee for this individual based on the numbers and your personal opinion. Fair enough?

BTW, I am smiling while I write all this, man.

Who is to say he would not have gotten an offer at Monarch had he stayed there his junior year and/or senior year?  If he is that good, he would have.  It's not as if elite players have not been recruited by elite colleges out of Monarch.  

Is the standard now that if "I don't have a big offer by my sophomore year I need to move."  Next thing kids will be moving if they don't have a big offer as a freshman.  Assumptions are being made by kids/parents that a kid has to be at a certain school to get an offer and/or if I am not getting offers it cannot be me, it must be my surroundings. 

So going back to a question you asked, " Does anyone think the young man and his family made a mistake by transferring from Monarch to STA to open up doors for his future?"  Assuming this move was strictly for football(and maybe it's not), I do at his age(sophormores and freshmen).  Why?  Because if everyone has this attitude, hs football is going to get much worse than it is now and implode.  It is also teaching some poor life lessons.  How many of us adults can just "pick up and move" when things are not going our way in life?  How many of us have learned the hard way that the grass is not always greener?

We have young people in the first 6 months of employment quitting jobs because they haven't gotten a raise or because "I am not making a difference" (actually heard that one). Expectations are so out of whack, and not just in football.  And we as adults are enabling it.  

27 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

BTW, I am smiling while I write all this, man.

Who is to say he would not have gotten an offer at Monarch had he stayed there his junior year and/or senior year?  If he is that good, he would have.  It's not as if elite players have not been recruited by elite colleges out of Monarch.  

Is the standard now that if "I don't have a big offer by my sophomore year I need to move."  Next thing kids will be moving if they don't have a big offer as a freshman.  Assumptions are being made by kids/parents that a kid has to be at a certain school to get an offer and/or if I am not getting offers it cannot be me, it must be my surroundings. 

So going back to a question you asked, " Does anyone think the young man and his family made a mistake by transferring from Monarch to STA to open up doors for his future?"  Assuming this move was strictly for football(and maybe it's not), I do at his age(sophormores and freshmen).  Why?  Because if everyone has this attitude, hs football is going to get much worse than it is now and implode.  It is also teaching some poor life lessons.  How many of us adults can just "pick up and move" when things are not going our way in life?  How many of us have learned the hard way that the grass is not always greener?

We have young people in the first 6 months of employment quitting jobs because they haven't gotten a raise or because "I am not making a difference" (actually heard that one). Expectations are so out of whack, and not just in football.  And we as adults are enabling it.  

I think it’s been going on from back in the days.. It’s just now we have this thing that’s called the internet where we can get everything right away.. Far as ppl wanting more money maybe have to do with different personal reason and knows how much their worth... can’t compare teenagers to working adults... I’ve coach and played down here and have younger cousins to playing hs ball.. It’s a business mentality now and you gotta do what’s best for u... Can’t hate on the kids for bettering there selves....

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I'm not disputing the statistics.  I'm wondering how and why you twisted this topic to race?  

Keep in mind you are talking about a 15 or 16 year old kid here.  The NFL should not even be brought up regardless of race.

Now with this recent post that you have made (which by numbers I am not disputing)...Should we look at all professions in the world, break them down by race and advise our youth to look at other options in many cases?

If you hypothetically had a black son who was excelling in say science, wanted to be a astronaut, and as a tenth grader already had academic scholarship offers would you told tell him that  NASA and astronomy was dominated by whites and advise him to consider focusing on another career?

Let me ask you this I happened to use this player as a example be cause I figured it somewhat fit the question/topic.  If this player had been black as a 10th grader, would we be this far off topic and at this point in the post right now?

Words to my son wanting to chase a dream...."What is YOUR back-up plan if things do not work out?"  If his answer is, "I'll come back home to live and go back to school and you will pay for it, dad...."  ...bad answer.  More "adult" children(many with college degrees) are living with their parents than any time in history.  And many parents are one medical emergency away from bankruptcy.  That tells me that more so than ever, kids need to be very cautious about choosing a career path that will allow them maximum latitude, high odds of success, and an ability to make good money right out of college.   In today's economy, failure to do so could mean a life of poverty.     

As an aeronautical engineer, you are probably safe if you do not make it as an astronaut.  But how about all of the kids who chased their "dream" of going to college, have useless degrees, and are facing a lifetime of debt they may never overcome...some of whom had no business in college but whose parents were afraid to throw a red flag and let them have their way.  I did not have parents to fall back on for economic support if things did not work out, so I passed on my dream to be an artist because I knew I would likely be living on the street if things did not work out. 

As we all know, certain career paths have major barriers...gender, race, size...that play into the risk decision of pursuing that path.  Today I am much more risk averse because of the economy.  So call me a coward or racist for advising an average white kid(who would have to sacrifice studies for athletics in college) to look at other options beyond his dream of being an All-America cornerback:).     

23 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Words to my son wanting to chase a dream...."What is YOUR back-up plan if things do not work out?"  If his answer is, "I'll come back home to live and go back to school and you will pay for it, dad...."  ...bad answer.  More "adult" children(many with college degrees) are living with their parents than any time in history.  And many parents are one medical emergency away from bankruptcy.  That tells me that more so than ever, kids need to be very cautious about choosing a career path that will allow them maximum latitude, high odds of success, and an ability to make good money right out of college.   In today's economy, failure to do so could mean a life of poverty.     

As an aeronautical engineer, you are probably safe if you do not make it as an astronaut.  But how about all of the kids who chased their "dream" of going to college, have useless degrees, and are facing a lifetime of debt they may never overcome...some of whom had no business in college but whose parents were afraid to throw a red flag and let them have their way.  I did not have parents to fall back on for economic support if things did not work out, so I passed on my dream to be an artist because I knew I would likely be living on the street if things did not work out. 

As we all know, certain career paths have major barriers...gender, race, size...that play into the risk decision of pursuing that path.  Today I am much more risk averse because of the economy.  So call me a coward or racist for advising an average white kid(who would have to sacrifice studies for athletics in college) to look at other options beyond his dream of being an All-America cornerback:).     

I know nothing about this kid’s goals and dreams and it is not my business. Why not wish our youth prosperity with academics and athletics?

I’m not going to assume, agree or disagree with what appears to be borderline sarcastic and condescending statements with smiley faces. In fact , I’ll just tap out now as I am not going to support or engage in a string which appears to be bringing down a 10th grader.

26 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

I think it’s been going on from back in the days.. It’s just now we have this thing that’s called the internet where we can get everything right away.. Far as ppl wanting more money maybe have to do with different personal reason and knows how much their worth... can’t compare teenagers to working adults... I’ve coach and played down here and have younger cousins to playing hs ball.. It’s a business mentality now and you gotta do what’s best for u... Can’t hate on the kids for bettering there selves....

I hear ya.  U right about business mentality.  I believe there's a problem when adults start viewing kids as businessmen, though.  They start treating kids more like grown-ups, and along with that comes higher expectations and sometimes less forgiveness for "acting like kids."  Read the comments of people wanting to crucify young people who have made stupid mistakes, getting in trouble with the law.   The line between "kids" and "adults" seems to be getting more fuzzy.  

It's great kids want to better themselves.  I simply whether this crazy route of athletic scholarships is the best path for certain kids...that's all.  If a kid feels that is his only path, we have really failed him, because all of these kids have talents far beyond football:)

21 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I hear ya.  U right about business mentality.  I believe there's a problem when adults start viewing kids as businessmen, though.  They start treating kids more like grown-ups, and along with that comes higher expectations and sometimes less forgiveness for "acting like kids."  Read the comments of people wanting to crucify young people who have made stupid mistakes, getting in trouble with the law.   The line between "kids" and "adults" seems to be getting more fuzzy.  

It's great kids want to better themselves.  I simply whether this crazy route of athletic scholarships is the best path for certain kids...that's all.  If a kid feels that is his only path, we have really failed him, because all of these kids have talents far beyond football:)

Which is true but what about the kids that the only resource they have is football or any other sports? What do you tell does kids? A lot of kids don’t grow up with a lot of resources rather is the parents that can provide it or not.. 

24 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

Which is true but what about the kids that the only resource they have is football or any other sports? What do you tell does kids? A lot of kids don’t grow up with a lot of resources rather is the parents that can provide it or not.. 

Great questions...as I said, WE have failed these kids as a society if sports is their only way to advance themselves.  This is why I am working with some great folks at a foundation to start a program that will provide career paths for underprivileged kids through internship opportunities with local business. 

There are blue collar jobs people have never heard of in very high demand that can provide a good living.  It's just a matter of getting the kids exposed, but the schools are not doing it because their metrics are based on getting kids to college.