The Numbers Behind the Dropoff of Broward County Public Schools

OldSchoolLion

3 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

Ok Deerfield Beach consistent playoff team . Coaching staff sucks ass I agree .. Miramar , gotta fight Carol City and some what Norland and some privates But y’all really do think the reason why Dillard mainly not winning cause the “PRIVATES” are taking all their players allegedly... I would bet y’all any money that if you take the players that are in those private teams back to there “home schools “ those public school still probably wouldn’t win cause all those players don’t live in FT lauderdale.. They would be spread out..  For example look at the Ft lauderdale Hurricanes program . Half the team was from Dade and Pembroke Pines / Miramar area... Since you want to talk about consistents and I don’t live in Broward , before the privates blew up why Broward teams wasn’t winning consistently? 

.I agree with what you said above in bold.  Broward County Public Schools is the 6th largest school district in the country.  Lots of new public schools have popped up and people have relocated within the county over the years.  There has been a loss of community pride that years ago made kids want to go to schools like Ely or Dillard.  Then you had the emergence of STA and then other privates.  All of these things together were a perfect storm.  Even if one could snap their finger and all of the private schools disappeared, I don't think much would change in terms of public school success...at least not until a long time of rebuilding. 

Back in the day, Broward was Miami-Dade's little brother and Broward schools often got knocked off in the playoffs by the Dade schools.  Much of Broward was a pretty laid back place to live in the 70's and 80's and that laid back attitude may have carried over to hs football.  But even the Dade schools back then often struggled with the teams from north FL.  So, nobody from south FL was dominating back then.

As population exploded in south FL and folks started moving northward from Dade to Broward and Palm Beach counties, it is possible there could have been a passing of the torch from Dade public schools.  But any chance of that may have been done in by the emergence of the private schools.  Dillard and Ely had some great momentum coming out of the 90's and it just crashed.  Had the privates never emerged, would be interesting to see what could have happened with that momentum.  Who knows, maybe nothing would have changed.

Broward publics were stacked with good teams and talent in 2015.  

Flanagan, Hallandale, Deerfield Beach, and Coconut Creek's graduating 2016 class alone probably produced more D1 talent then all Broward publics combined over the last two years(2017, 2018).

Monarch 4 WR Core from the 2015 class was probably one of if not the best WR Core from Broward ever.  Calvin Ridley 2016 (Alabama),  Riley Ridley 2017 ( Georgia), Jerry Jeudy 2018 (Alabama), Shawn Burgess-Becker (Alabama ).

I have stated my concern for 2015 being a significantly stronger year for Broward publics then what we are seeing these days.  I  hope things can change slightly and it just takes a few great coaches willing to go to publics that may right the public ship again.

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Hey @BrowardHandicapper

I think you told me before but I'll ask here since it's relevant to this conversation 

Which areas of broward county has the best talent pool these days? 

It's spread out but surely not Fort Lauderdale.  I would say the West Hallandale, West Park, Hollywood, Miramar and Pembroke Pines area which is the South/Southwest part of Broward is the most talent rich area but like ZoeBoy said it is spread out all over.  Deerfield Beach, Plantation and Pompano obviously are loaded  and little Coconut Creek produces some players.   West Fort Lauderdale has some pockets as well but overall per capita Fort Lauderale is not producing what it used to from the 80s and 90s.

For whatever reason Fort Lauderdale is still a broad word though. University School and Archbishop McCarthy is often referred to as located in "Fort Lauderdale" when they both are way out west in Southwest Ranches (neighboring Cooper City)  

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/archbishop-mccarthy-mavericks-(fort-lauderdale,fl)/map.htm

University School is in central Davie :

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/university-sharks-(fort-lauderdale,fl)/map.htm

33 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Broward publics were stacked with good teams and talent in 2015.  

Flanagan, Hallandale, Deerfield Beach, and Coconut Creek's graduating 2016 class alone probably produced more D1 talent then all Broward publics combined over the last two years(2017, 2018).

Monarch 4 WR Core from the 2015 class was probably one of if not the best WR Core from Broward ever.  Calvin Ridley 2016 (Alabama),  Riley Ridley 2017 ( Georgia), Jerry Jeudy 2018 (Alabama), Shawn Burgess-Becker (Alabama ).

I have stated my concern for 2015 being a significantly stronger year for Broward publics then what we are seeing these days.  I  hope things can change slightly and it just takes a few great coaches willing to go to publics that may right the public ship again.

Flanagan, Hallandale, Coconut Creek and Monarch all tanked after a head coach left...not built to last.  So many of these programs are in such a fragile state because they don't have the winning tradition to carry them through times of transition.  The only school that has that is St Thomas. I think you could put Lady Gaga in charge and they would still win.  And that is the sign of a great program.  

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Flanagan, Hallandale, Coconut Creek and Monarch all tanked after a head coach left...not built to last.  So many of these programs are in such a fragile state because they don't have the winning tradition to carry them through times of transition.  The only school that has that is St Thomas. I think you could put Lady Gaga in charge and they would still win.  And that is the sign of a great program.  

Well although Deerfield Beach has struggled in the post-season they continue to have be talent loaded on a consistent basis.  That is a public school that keeps a lot of talent home and even pulls in talent for several years now.  With another loaded roster this year they are so overdue.  

Could this finally be the year for the Bucks?

7 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Well although Deerfield Beach has struggled in the post-season they continue to have be talent loaded on a consistent basis.  That is a public school that keeps a lot of talent home and even pulls in talent for several years now.  With another loaded roster this year they are so overdue.  

I'm at the point of I'll believe it when I see it

Deerfield always talented but I've lost faith in them being the team i think can go on to win a title 

3 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'm at the point of I'll believe it when I see it

Deerfield always talented but I've lost faith in them being the team i think can go on to win a title 

But you gotta give them at least a little credit for continuing to keep the rosters stacked as a public school in Broward.  No public school has been doing it consistently as long as DFB of late in Broward.

7 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

But you gotta give them at least a little credit for continuing to keep the rosters stacked as a public school in Broward.  No public school has been doing it consistently as long as DFB of late in Broward.

I agree but it's kinda like how many times do you get high hopes before doubt starts to creep into your mind about a teams ability to finish the job

They aren't the only team out there that has that doubt lingering over their heads by any stretch but it exists 

Yea Deerfield consistently gets and keeps talent but yet still no rings to solidify them as a power house to me it seem as long as Broward public schools has to go through dade or west palm to get to states or win it they are gonna keep coming up short.

whats sad is if Broward has a rich amount of football talent just like dade then why is miami much more and I do mean much more dominant??? I mean most of the games vs Broward vs dade public schools are not even close ...except wen Hallandale beat down a pretty avg northwestern team in 2015.

but the point still stands DADE RUNS BROWARD as much as it makes me throw up in my mouth to say ...but why tho!! What is Broward County public schools football programs are missing ? Are the coaches not putting in enough work in film studies and providing a solid game plan slash in game adjustments ...being a former Dillard player and a alum it just seem every time going against a dade team they seem faster stronger the team dade teams seem to have more fight more aggressiveness from the fans to the coaches and players like I just don’t get it.

broward County isn’t some rinky dink country white town ...Broward County and dade County are not only rivals from football to the hood but they are both black counties and just like dade like to throw down and have ruff ryders I believe Broward have those to but for some reason dade county consistently bitchs Broward 

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I believe Dillard's players back in the 80s and 90 were mostly homegrown in that zone.

Things change I guess. Dillard was a longstanding public power then as was Ely. 

BH is right.  Dillard and Boyd Anderson are what one might have called the inner city schools of Fort Lauderdale back then.  Schools there and in the Pompano/Deerfield area were really the only ones having any kind of regular playoff success.  Although segregation was past, things were not nearly as integrated as they are today.  In the 80's, there was still this lingering feeling of kids going to school "where they belonged."  The private schools were almost completely white.  So, talent back then was much more home grown than today.  

In Dade, the Miami inner city schools have maintained fertile ground for talent.  Dade was built out long ago and there was a huge influx of Latins, so there were limited options for movement for those inner city folks.  But in Broward, there were choices, since the western part of the county was virtually undeveloped.  So, the population dispersed...people who could afford it moved north or west.  Although it may not have been good for hs football, it did allow people to improve their living situations.

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

No way, man.  Not going there.  Deerfield and Boyd Anderson have broken my heart too many times.  I really thought Cypress Bay with Guandolo was going to be the next great public program, but alas.. 

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

No way, man.  Not going there.  Deerfield and Boyd Anderson have broken my heart too many times.  I really thought Cypress Bay with Guandolo was going to be the next great public program, but alas.. 

:DTrying to be optimistic for the Bucks and state the positives..Just saying that public school speaking they consistently are pretty loaded.

21 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Yea Deerfield consistently gets and keeps talent but yet still no rings to solidify them as a power house to me it seem as long as Broward public schools has to go through dade or west palm to get to states or win it they are gonna keep coming up short.

whats sad is if Broward has a rich amount of football talent just like dade then why is miami much more and I do mean much more dominant??? I mean most of the games vs Broward vs dade public schools are not even close ...except wen Hallandale beat down a pretty avg northwestern team in 2015.

but the point still stands DADE RUNS BROWARD as much as it makes me throw up in my mouth to say ...but why tho!! What is Broward County public schools football programs are missing ? Are the coaches not putting in enough work in film studies and providing a solid game plan slash in game adjustments ...being a former Dillard player and a alum it just seem every time going against a dade team they seem faster stronger the team dade teams seem to have more fight more aggressiveness from the fans to the coaches and players like I just don’t get it.

broward County isn’t some rinky dink country white town ...Broward County and dade County are not only rivals from football to the hood but they are both black counties and just like dade like to throw down and have ruff ryders I believe Broward have those to but for some reason dade county consistently bitchs Broward 

I think Dade has always had a little stronger sense of "us against the world" ...the same thing that made the Canes so great.  It is the ultimate melting pot...junkyard dog mentality.

I also think there has been a greater sense of desperation in Dade...to do whatever it takes to get out.  And if football is my way outta here, better not be in my way!  

I lived through (barely) the Liberty City riots 40 years ago.  Broward has never experienced anything close to that. Sure, things in Broward can be tough, but the kids in Overtown just have an edge about them, and I think that translates to the field.