Quantcast
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It's been brought up in quite a few threads lately and i think it's time to put it on the spot

 

Duval county

 

Nearly 1 million people 

 

Some of the best talent in the state in duval county but yet get this

 

1 public!!! With a state championship (raines won twice)

 

You telling me only one public is good enough to win a championship with that much talent 

 

Even when these teams get hyped up as being loaded they fall short: Sandalwood, Ed White, First Coast, Lee, ect. 

 

Yet Bolles, Trinity Christian and University Christian all have won multiple championships 

 

What's the deal?  Are those three picking the entire county dry? 

 

@Brendan Johnson @Corey_Davis @JaxFootballGuy

 

Anyone want to explain why the county can't get a public besides raines to win a championship? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It's been brought up in quite a few threads lately and i think it's time to put it on the spot

 

Duval county

 

Nearly 1 million people 

 

Some of the best talent in the state in duval county but yet get this

 

1 public!!! With a state championship (raines won twice)

 

You telling me only one public is good enough to win a championship with that much talent 

 

Even when these teams get hyped up as being loaded they fall short: Sandalwood, Ed White, First Coast, Lee, ect. 

 

Yet Bolles, Trinity Christian and University Christian all have won multiple championships 

 

What's the deal?  Are those three picking the entire county dry? 

 

@Brendan Johnson @Corey_Davis @JaxFootballGuy

 

Anyone want to explain why the county can't get a public besides raines to win a championship? 

Football can be a barometer for other things in the school system.  Based on what I have read, the Duval public school system has a lot of challenges.  Winning state titles may be the least of its problems.  There is a lot of poverty.  Go to Texas and the correlation between wealth of the school district and football success will smack you in the face.  That is not to say that a "poor" school district cannot succeed, but it can definitely be a big hurdle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Football can be a barometer for other things in the school system.  Based on what I have read, the Duval public school system has a lot of challenges.  Winning state titles may be the least of its problems.  There is a lot of poverty.  Go to Texas and the correlation between wealth of the school district and football success will smack you in the face.  That is not to say that a "poor" school district cannot succeed, but it can definitely be a big hurdle.

That probably does explain why the rich privates in the county have no problem winning

 

I just fail to understand that even when teams in the county load up they still struggle to win

 

First Coast was probably one of the most talented teams in the state a few years ago but couldn't win the title and have since fallen apart 

 

Sandalwood usually has talent but are big time underachievers and even when they are good they usually are eliminated earlier than they should be 

 

Ed White was good for few years and had some playmakers but fell apart almost as quick as First Coast did

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hillsborough School District dwarfs Duval's school district in terms of students.   26 high schools and how many of them have excelled?  Most of the success of Armwood, Plant and Jefferson has come in the past 20 years.  And there there is Pinellas County.  One could say the Tampa area has not exactly set the world on fire, proportionately speaking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The Hillsborough School District dwarfs Duval's school district in terms of students.   26 high schools and how many of them have excelled?  Most of the success of Armwood, Plant and Jefferson has come in the past 20 years.  And there there is Pinellas County.  One could say the Tampa area has not exactly set the world on fire, proportionately speaking.  

One of biggest differences is that unlike Hillsborough county the schools in duval actually have control over their schedule so some of the biggest things working against Tampa are out of the control of the schools but i do agree Tampa not that shaby either

 

Them and duval are the 2 counties with most talent that overall (outside of a few teams) waste the most among any counties in the state

 

Both counties overall underachieve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Its a lot easier to stock a Trinity, Bolles and UC team than to do it with home grown kids. That's the biggest problem and coaching. I can barely come up with public school coaches that have been around 20 years. Yet the big 3 private coaches have been around for 20 years, i know DP3 hasn't been there 20 years but he has been around that program enough to qualify.

2 Scheduling, outside of Raines no on else travels outside the region to play anybody. Coaches put to much emphasis on winning the conference instead of going out and playing real teams.

3 To many dang schools, not only do you have public schools but look at how many private schools have started up in last ten years.   

4 Transfers, no more loyalty in programs. Everybody transferring to the hot teams like Raines and Lee 

5. While Duval has failed look at what Clay and St. Johns counties have done. Clay has sent a couple teams to the final or state semis, Fleming Island has been knocking on the door as well and Bartram Trail and St. Augustine have been consistently in the playoffs. Trust me Jax kids are moving to Clay and St. Johns as well. 

           

       

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Corey_Davis said:

1 Its a lot easier to stock a Trinity, Bolles and UC team than to do it with home grown kids. That's the biggest problem and coaching. I can barely come up with public school coaches that have been around 20 years. Yet the big 3 private coaches have been around for 20 years, i know DP3 hasn't been there 20 years but he has been around that program enough to qualify.

2 Scheduling, outside of Raines no on else travels outside the region to play anybody. Coaches put to much emphasis on winning the conference instead of going out and playing real teams.

3 To many dang schools, not only do you have public schools but look at how many private schools have started up in last ten years.   

4 Transfers, no more loyalty in programs. Everybody transferring to the hot teams like Raines and Lee 

5. While Duval has failed look at what Clay and St. Johns counties have done. Clay has sent a couple teams to the final or state semis, Fleming Island has been knocking on the door as well and Bartram Trail and St. Augustine have been consistently in the playoffs. Trust me Jax kids are moving to Clay and St. Johns as well. 

           

       

 

Good point you bring up 

 

Very few of the teams in Jacksonville play good teams on their schedule 

 

Hell Columbia probably has better schedule then 95% of teams in county

 

A team like Fletcher comes to mind with not playing good teams like in 2016 when they were undefeated when they came into Lake City and we handled them easily, a tougher schedule would have probably helped them be better prepared in that game, that and maybe not walk on the field and disrespect us before the game by throwing sand at our coaches 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Corey_Davis said:

1 Its a lot easier to stock a Trinity, Bolles and UC team than to do it with home grown kids. That's the biggest problem and coaching. I can barely come up with public school coaches that have been around 20 years. Yet the big 3 private coaches have been around for 20 years, i know DP3 hasn't been there 20 years but he has been around that program enough to qualify.

2 Scheduling, outside of Raines no on else travels outside the region to play anybody. Coaches put to much emphasis on winning the conference instead of going out and playing real teams.

3 To many dang schools, not only do you have public schools but look at how many private schools have started up in last ten years.   

4 Transfers, no more loyalty in programs. Everybody transferring to the hot teams like Raines and Lee 

5. While Duval has failed look at what Clay and St. Johns counties have done. Clay has sent a couple teams to the final or state semis, Fleming Island has been knocking on the door as well and Bartram Trail and St. Augustine have been consistently in the playoffs. Trust me Jax kids are moving to Clay and St. Johns as well. 

           

       

 

Very good point as well 

 

Before it was First Coast and Ed White now it's raines and Lee 

 

I'm wondering how long they stay at top before falling off,  raines usually keeps a lot of talent in building but Lee historically has limited success so sooner or later they will fall like Ed White and First Coast and many others before them did 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Corey_Davis said:

1 Its a lot easier to stock a Trinity, Bolles and UC team than to do it with home grown kids. That's the biggest problem and coaching. I can barely come up with public school coaches that have been around 20 years. Yet the big 3 private coaches have been around for 20 years, i know DP3 hasn't been there 20 years but he has been around that program enough to qualify.

2 Scheduling, outside of Raines no on else travels outside the region to play anybody. Coaches put to much emphasis on winning the conference instead of going out and playing real teams.

3 To many dang schools, not only do you have public schools but look at how many private schools have started up in last ten years.   

4 Transfers, no more loyalty in programs. Everybody transferring to the hot teams like Raines and Lee 

5. While Duval has failed look at what Clay and St. Johns counties have done. Clay has sent a couple teams to the final or state semis, Fleming Island has been knocking on the door as well and Bartram Trail and St. Augustine have been consistently in the playoffs. Trust me Jax kids are moving to Clay and St. Johns as well. 

           

       

 

1. amen

3. maybe good for the kids, but I think this issue has negatively affected a number of counties in Florida, ie Polk County

5. no mistake that schools like Nease, Ponte Vedra, Bartram Trail experienced success relatively quickly compared to other newer programs around the state.  wealthier parents=monetary support for programs  In Texas, hs football is a status symbol, ie "my son plays for ____"   Parents want their kids playing for a winner and are willing to chip in to make sure it happens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It's been brought up in quite a few threads lately and i think it's time to put it on the spot

 

Duval county

 

Nearly 1 million people 

 

Some of the best talent in the state in duval county but yet get this

 

1 public!!! With a state championship (raines won twice)

 

You telling me only one public is good enough to win a championship with that much talent 

 

Even when these teams get hyped up as being loaded they fall short: Sandalwood, Ed White, First Coast, Lee, ect. 

 

Yet Bolles, Trinity Christian and University Christian all have won multiple championships 

 

What's the deal?  Are those three picking the entire county dry? 

 

@Brendan Johnson @Corey_Davis @JaxFootballGuy

 

Anyone want to explain why the county can't get a public besides raines to win a championship? 

Let's not forget, Jacksonville was not a football town for a long time.  The Jaguars came along in the 90's.   Before that, I always thought of Jacksonville as a basketball town, ie Ribault and Jackson hs bball teams.

Tampa got the Bucs in the 70's and the Dolphins in the 60's...maybe it is no mistake that Dade has so many schools with trophies in their cabinets, trailed by Hillsborough, and then Duval is pulling up the rear.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



  • Posts

    • Perspective, I will try to answer your questions.   1. The reason why officials seem to hesitate to blow their whistles is  because the whistle very rarely ends the play itself. Usually, the result of the play, such as a runner running out-of-bounds or a receiver making a catch on the ground. In those type of situations, a defensive player is not going to make a tackle or hit an offensive player after that action just because a whistle did not blow. Forward progress can be tricky, and it is usually better to wait to blow the whistle, and then determine the result of the play instead of blowing a whistle immediately which automatically ends the play. 2. The coaches teaching the players to play to the whistle is incorrect, and most officials would urge coaches to stop teaching that phrase. The result of the play ends the play, not the whistle unless it is an inadvertent whistle. 3. By the letter of the rule the officials do not have the authority to send out a player to the sideline. However, there is an understanding among coaches and officials of the idea of a penalty box, meaning an official can point out to a coach that one of his players is getting out of control, and needs a 'cooling off' period without drawing a penalty. The player then can come back into the game at the coaches discretion. I do not know of one high school coach who has every declined this arrangement. 4. That sounds like a blown call by the officiating crew.
    • I was looking forward to that Chaminade v Cocoa matchup this season. Hopefully they had a home n home setup
    • The Bloodhounds are a bit unsettled at QB, so Lake Gibson's stout defense was too much. Assuming Lake Gibson is able to play Lakeland next week (a big assumption with Covid), LG might ought to be a slight favorite. Lakeland has been completely shut down since Sep. 8, and won't be able to do anything until Tuesday of game week.
    • Thad Franklin got hurt late in the game. AHP has a very athletic defense that owned CM's big O-line. You would think Thad Franklin on a rainy night behind that O-line would be able to score, but no.  CM's O-line needs work on blocking. CM is a very formidable team in 3A.  But I do not think the Lions have the firepower on offense to be considered one of the best teams in the state amongst all classes.    Both teams have quick D's that will give offenses trouble.  AHP's offense needs some reps.           
    • Lions had their chance.  Thad Franklin broke off a big run but Lions fumbled it on the next play due to bad exchange from qb.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...