Quiz-Lowest Scoring Playoff Games Ever

OldSchoolLion

Only a handful of teams have ever won an FHSAA playoff game and scored less than 6 points against the losing team.  Name one of the teams.  Hint: There are people on this forum who are familiar with some of the teams that played in these low-scoring affairs.

Bonus Question: Name the two north Florida teams that played in the lowest scoring playoff game ever.

Bonus Question: Name the team that has done it twice.

Hints:

One Panhandle team has actually won two playoff games and scored less than 6 points in each game.  Both of those games took place in the last decade.

3 of the ultra-low scoring playoff games involved 6 south Florida teams, 5 of whom have appeared in at least one title game.  Old school folks from the Muck should remember one of these games, which was a heartbreaker.

One team that did it is from Pinellas County.  

The teams involved in the game that was the absolute lowest scoring playoff game of all time were both from north FL.

37 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Hints:

One Panhandle team has actually won two playoff games and scored less than 6 points in each game.  Both of those games took place in the last decade.

3 of the ultra-low scoring playoff games involved 6 south Florida teams, 5 of whom have appeared in at least one title game.  Old school folks from the Muck should remember one of these games, which was a heartbreaker.

One team that did it is from Pinellas County.  

The teams involved in the game that was the absolute lowest scoring playoff game of all time were both from north FL.

So I had to cheat. I won't mention the answer other than I was shocked to find out one of them because when I think of these two teams involved, the one who won doesn't have that good of a track record against other. 

22 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

1981 Suncoast 3 Glades Central 0 

That's one!:)  Glades Central was 3A runner-up in 1979 and played in the state semis in 1980, so you know they were strong back then.  Central had dominated Suncoast in Riviera Beach in the first round of the 1979 playoffs, and were planning to do the same in 1981, but Suncoast had different plans.  Behind their home fans, Suncoast earned their first playoff win in school history. But they did not stop there, beating an undefeated St Thomas Aquinas squad 29-14.  Suncoast made it all the way to the 3A finals that year before eventually losing to Palatka.     

Oddly, those are the only two playoff games Central has ever played against another Palm Beach County school.  

In the first round of the 2012 8A playoffs, 6-4 Miramar visited 9-1 South Plantation.  South Plantation's only loss of the season had been to Deerfield Beach.  The game was a rematch of their first round playoff game in 2011, won by Miramar 38-0. 

In a sloppy, rain-soaked game, both teams struggled to get traction.  Miramar got a 25-yard field goal to cap a 7-play first quarter drive.  Miramar reached the red zone numerous times afterward, but could not score.  They fumbled the ball twice.  One of those fumbles gave the Paladins the ball with about 2 minutes to play.  

Paladins quarterback John Franklin completed a pass and scrambled for a first down after the Paladins took over at the Patriots 25. But his final scramble, on second-and-8 from the 38, ended with a hard hit that knocked him out of the game.  

The Patriots' defensive line was the key to the game.  They got consistent pressure on Franklin all night, sacking him repeatedly.  Miramar won the game 3-0.  The Patriots were knocked out of the playoffs in the second round by eventual state finalist Cypress Bay.

Where are my south Florida boyz?  One of these defensive slugfests happened in Miami not too long ago and was the lowest-scoring Final 4 game in the history of the FHSAA.  Hint: Who is arguably the most dominant defensive team in the state series over the past 25 years.  I may have posted about this in the past.:rolleyes:

51 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Where are my south Florida boyz?  One of these defensive slugfests happened in Miami not too long ago and was the lowest-scoring Final 4 game in the history of the FHSAA.  Hint: Who is arguably the most dominant defensive team in the state series over the past 25 years.  I may have posted about this in the past.:rolleyes:

Carol City 3, Killian 0. I was at the Orange Bowl that night. The prior night I watched Edgewater dispatch unbeaten Deerfield Beach to book their Gainsville ticket. 

21 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Carol City 3, Killian 0. I was at the Orange Bowl that night. The prior night I watched Edgewater dispatch unbeaten Deerfield Beach to book their Gainsville ticket. 

About 20,000 people watched Carol City beat Killian 3-0 in the 2003 6A state semi at the Orange Bowl.  It is the lowest scoring Final Four game in FHSAA playoff history.

Killian's 5-star, All-American running back Bobby Washington gained 215 total yards -- 185 rushing -- but also made 2 costly fumbles.  Carol City's Ramone Russell made a 29-yard field goal with 21 seconds to go in the first quarter that proved to be the difference in the game.  

After allowing Killian to move the ball some in third quarter, Carol City stuffed Cougars' qb Nick Orsini on fourth-and-1 at the Chiefs' 38. Orsini tried to follow his right guard after a slight delay.  A swarm of Carol City defenders came up for the stop, and Killian came about a foot short of a first down after possessing the ball for 4:05 on the drive.  

Killian's defense forced a three-and-out and proceeded to move the ball on the Chiefs. The drive was halted on the third play of the fourth quarter after Washington's second fumble of the night.  Washington rebounded after his turnover as the Cougars began to drive with a little more than eight minutes left in the game.  

After the Cougars were forced to punt with a little more than four minutes to go, Carol City maintained possession in order to secure a berth in the finals.  Sophomore quarterback Sedrick Bryant secured the win for Carol City with a 31-yard scamper down the right sideline after faking the handoff to Chris Strothers.  Bryant was brought down at the Cougars' 34, where Carol City would run out the clock after notching another first down.

Carol City shut out Orlando Edgewater 13-0 in another dominating defensive effort to win the 6A title in Gainesville.

5 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Ramone Russell made a 29-yard field goal with 21 seconds to go in the first quarter that proved to be the difference in the game.  

Ramone Russell had a heck of a leg. He nailed about a 48 yarder to open the scoring against Edgewater. It's a pity his career seems to have ended in high school.

5 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Orsini tried to follow his right guard after a slight delay.  A swarm of Carol City defenders came up for the stop, and Killian came about a foot short of a first down after possessing the ball for 4:05 on the drive

If I remember correctly, I am not sure that Killian got the ball past the half way line in the entire first half despite Washington's best efforts. 

Also, Chris Strothers, CC's undersized running back reeled off some decent rushing yards in this game. Chris came up to UCF, but never really got the opportunity to showcase his talents. 

The Port St Joe Sharks have won 2 playoff games in which they scored 3 points or less.  In 2005, #2 ranked, 10-1 PSJ visited Mayo, FL, and took on #4 ranked Lafayette.  PSJ escaped with a 3-2 victory.  They eventually won the title against Fort Meade.  

In the second-lowest scoring playoff game in FHSAA history, Port St Joe traveled to Chieflland for the 1A Region 1 final.  This was PSJ's third straight playoff game on the road, and it was played on a chilly and windy night. 

Late in the second quarter, Shark running back Randall Johnson exploded for an 81-yard run down to the Indian 5-yard line. As it did the entire game, the Chiefland defense held tough and stuffed the Sharks on four straight plays, taking over at the 5. Two plays later, Richard Collins fumbled the handoff from Cortez Gent, sending the ball into the end zone, and Gent fell on it for a safety with six seconds remaining.

The Indians’ offense squandered every opportunity the defense gave them. In the first half, the offense lost two fumbles and botched a fake punt. Each time, the defense bailed the Indians out after a mistake, the PSJ defense responded with a stand of its own.

A punt by the Sharks gave Chiefland the ball at the 49. On a pass attempt to Gent, Shark defensive back Ray Bailey broke up the play but was called for taunting, giving the Indians the ball at the 36. After three plays that produced nothing, senior Chase Harris came on for a 50-yard field goal attempt, but that was blocked by PSJ.  The final score was Port St Joe 2 Chiefland 0.

Even though Chiefland lost their qb in the preseason and only had one player over 230 pounds, they put up an incredible fight.  PSJ eventually lost to Trinity Christian in the state semis.