Class 3A, Week 6 Just the Basics!

SPCjessica2004

Good day!  Time for week 6 Class 3A stuff.  With the conversation shifting gears to playoff positioning with the FHSAA releasing their initial power points- I wanted to respect Josh's wishes of not discussing them until he can go through them.  So, here's my personal power rankings for the classification:

#1) Clearwater Central Catholic  (5-0) Playing well without services of 5 starters. 4 of them will be back next week including RB Jerzhan Newton.
#2) Chaminade-Madonna     (3-2)   Still favorite to win 3A. 2 tough losses against superpowers. Same spot as last year before taking off.   
#3) American Heritage Delray   (4-0)  Complete game against McCarthy. Stallions hit road to Pensacola Catholic.
#4) King's Academy   (5-0) Another strong win for the Lions against NBP.
#5) Florida High School (4-1) Sole loss was to Madison County, easier week this week before NFC comes calling.
----------
#6) Benjamin School (5-0) Strong win over Key West moved Benjamin to the brink of being ranked.
#7) Baldwin (5-0) Great article written in Jacksonville Times Union about Baldwin and high expectations. Indians playing strong.
#8) Cardinal Mooney (4-0)  See below.
#9) Tampa Catholic (3-1) See below.
#10) Orlando First Academy (5-0) Many feel that TFA and not FSU High is the favorite to be in Orlando.

Games I'm looking forward to this week:

Tampa Berkeley Prep at Tampa Catholic

Berkeley Prep is 2-2, but they've only had QB Joshua Youngblood for their week 1 loss. In the 3 games since, he's either not played or played running back. After the week 1 loss he broke his hand which prevented him from throwing the football.  While Cardinal Mooney is playing at a high level, I've been told that had Youngblood played QB that game may have turned out different. Regardless, that's water under the bridge.

Tampa Catholic is sitting at 3-1 and has simply steamrolled everybody behind a gigantic offensive line and the running prowess of Jalen Bussey, Caleb Tate and Andrew Ellis. TC also has a potent deep attack with WR's Tim Young, DJ Taylor and Austin White.

PICK:  I don't want to call a game a must-win, but Berkeley Prep needs this game far more than TC does.  Tampa Catholic has some easier games coming up against lesser competition (Belleview, Cypress Creek, Steinbrenner). Berkeley Prep has games against Miami Edison, Mitchell and Sickles left.  A loss here doesn't knock the Buccaneers out of the playoff hunt, but 3 losses will make it all but impossible to get a first round bye.

Tampa Catholic 35, Berkeley Prep 28
Pinkos Pick: TC by 6

Cardinal Mooney at Calvary Christian (Clearwater)

The Cougars of Cardinal Mooney are officially back as a top small school team. Paul Machetle and staff have done a great job of rebuilding this program in record time. QB Ryan Bolduc has been a very strong presence and he's surrounded by talented playmakers.  Mooney has made strides up multiple polls this season and has broken into the top 100 Florida teams via MP.

On the other side, Calvary Christian is sitting at 3-2. The Warriors have the pieces to be a very good football team but haven't figured out the key to winning. Last week the Warriors were run off the field against Orlando First Academy. This week the offense will need to be sharper and the defense will need to be stout to slow down the punch that Mooney packs.

PICK: Calvary is a good team that's trying to carve out its small piece of the pie and keep its head above water. Mooney is suddenly playing for a lot more than simply a winning season.  I expect Calvary to move the ball well, but Mooney has a few to many playmakers for the Warriors this week.

Cardinal Mooney 30, Calvary 21

Other games:

Chaminade-Madonna over Piper by 28
CCC over SPC by 35
Ft. Meade over LCS by 14
Baldwin over West Nassau by 1
King's over Calvary Christian Academy by 28
Trinity Catholic over South Sumter by 3
American Heritage over Pensacola Catholic by 28
Benjamin over Pinecrest by 35
Florida High over Gadsden County by 28
Westminster Christian over Marathon by 21