Who Is This FL HS Legend in the Photo? Wes Chandler/New Smyrna Beach

OldSchoolLion

Oooh, I think I know this one without having to do any Internet research:  that's Wes Chandler.  All-American at UF; All pro with the San Diego Chargers.   New Smyrna Beach High School, if memory serves me correct.   A lot more accolades that I'm not remembering off the top of my head. 

Wes Chandler graduated from New Smyrna Beach 45 years ago, but he is still one of the most famous players to come out of this area of the state.  Chandler set a school record in 1973, his senior year, with 22 total touchdowns — including five in a single game. Lining up as a wishbone halfback, he rushed for 1,052 yards and added 542 more through the air on 22 receptions. In 2007, Chandler earned a spot on the FHSAA’s “100 Greatest Players of the First 100 Years” list.

While playing for the Gators, Chandler twice received All-America first-team honors.  He ended his Gators career with 1,963 receiving yards and 22 touchdowns. Those numbers helped him gain induction into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2015. Chandler still holds the distinction of the highest NFL draft pick ever from Volusia/Flagler, going third overall to the New Orleans Saints in 1978. He played 11 NFL seasons, topped 10,000 all-purpose yards and made four Pro Bowls. When his playing days were done, he turned to coaching, with notable stops at UCF, California and Father Lopez.

Chandler now lives in the Bay Area of Northern California.