• Announcements

• Joshua Wilson

Rules of the Forums   09/02/2017

Please be sure to read the rules of the forums. This is only to help all of us have a good time and we want to keep this board as fun as possible. 
    • SportsNut25

Talking Other Sports   11/08/2017

For those interested in talking about other sports, you can talk about them here. 
Sign in to follow this  
gatorman-uf

Rutgers Football

So I was watching some football and noticed Rutgers was playing. I watched, it was bad. Now, what does this have to do with Florida High School football? Well, It is within recent memory that Rutgers was playing solid football. No, they weren't going to win championships anytime soon, but they definitely were competitive within the Big East (now the AAC). A record of 11-2 in 2006 is probably the high point. Several bowl games from 2005-2011. 

Well go and look at the 2006 Rutgers Roster:
https://247sports.com/college/rutgers/Season/2006-Football/Roster/

23 guys from it who list Florida (mostly South Florida) as their home. 

In 2019, well 3 guys. 
https://scarletknights.com/roster.aspx?roster=2141&path=football

I get that Rutgers moving to the Big 10 probably ruined any long term success that Rutgers was going to have. They simply weren't ready for the financial commitment and honestly didn't have the proven track record to compete. Losing Schiano (as much as he has proven to be an _______) also hurt them as he had connections from his days working at the University of Miami. The bigger point is that Florida guys (guys that the big schools never wanted) were able to make an also ran school into a much better team.