OT: Muhammad Ali's passing

DarterBlue2

Had to say a few words on this. My first consciousness of Ali was on the February night in 1964 when he won the Heavyweight title for the first time. I was in a bus in Kingston, Jamaica that night when a loud cheer erupted from some of the passengers. You see, ever since Joe Louis was champion, Jamaicans would listen to all the major fights in the USA on the radio. Being just 8 years old at the time, I had no earthly idea what all the noise and excitement was about. Little did I know that it was the beginning of one of the greatest reigns in professional sports. 

Not only was Ali a great champion in his chosen sport, but his actions outside the ring, whether you agree with them or not, were a hallmark in personal conviction and courage. I know, some have attacked him as a draft dodger. I believe they miss the point. For certainly, had he done a tour of duty he would have never seen combat action. No, he would have been used as a "marketing tool" in support of a war that he thought was unjust. Whatever your view on this matter, one thing is certain. The man had the strength to walk away from financial gain in support of what he believed. To me, that more than any of his ring exploits, defines the man, Muhammad Ali. 

RIP Champ. I did not always agree with you, but I will forever respect you. 

Had to say a few words on this. My first consciousness of Ali was on the February night in 1964 when he won the Heavyweight title for the first time. I was in a bus in Kingston, Jamaica that night when a loud cheer erupted from some of the passengers. You see, ever since Joe Louis was champion, Jamaicans would listen to all the major fights in the USA on the radio. Being just 8 years old at the time, I had no earthly idea what all the noise and excitement was about. Little did I know that it was the beginning of one of the greatest reigns in professional sports.

Not only was Ali a great champion in his chosen sport, but his actions outside the ring, whether you agree with them or not, were a hallmark in personal conviction and courage. I know, some have attacked him as a draft dodger. I believe they miss the point. For certainly, had he done a tour of duty he would have never seen combat action. No, he would have been used as a "marketing tool" in support of a war that he thought was unjust. Whatever your view on this matter, one thing is certain. The man had the strength to walk away from financial gain in support of what he believed. To me, that more than any of his ring exploits, defines the man, Muhammad Ali.

RIP Champ. I did not always agree with you, but I will forever respect you.

Great story Darter!! Unfortunately I was born in 83 so I didn't live when he really impacted ppl life but ofcourse I read about him.. I ask my dad when he was living in Haiti did he hear about Ali he said but ofcourse! I was like man this dude had in impact everywhere like Bob Marley