minimum number of games

Hwy17

I ask this because I really don't know, but I thought there was a minimum of 9 games that was required by FHSAA for varsity football.   Due to weather, there are some teams I know of that have at least 2 cancellations, so they are only playing an 8 game regular season.  I know that district games have to be played, but I ask because of a conversation I had back in 2004 when the state had 4 hurricanes hits and a school official told me that schools sign a binding contract and that even though a game might be non-districts, that only one cancellation was allowed.

10.2 Team Participation

10.2.1 Eligibility for Participation.

To be eligible for participation in the Florida High School State Championship Series in any team sport:

(a) The school successfully sponsors a varsity program in the previous school year (i.e. completes a comparable district schedule to the other schools in the district which they would be placed).

(B) The school files a commitment (team sports) or intent (individual sports) to participate in the Florida High School State Championship Series with FHSAA by the specified deadline.

© A varsity team shall engage in a minimum number of interscholastic contests (games, matches or meets) as listed below or the required number of district contests as determined in the district meeting (if applicable), whichever is greater, in the sport. To count as a contest, the school’s team actually shall participate in and complete the contest. Scheduled contests that are canceled or not completed (in accordance with the playing rules of the sport in question) may not be counted.

(1) Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball and Water Polo – 10 contests

(2) Bowling and Lacrosse – 7 contests

(3) Cross Country, Golf, Swimming & Diving, Tennis and Track & Field – 5 contests

(4) Flag Football, Football, Competitive Cheerleading, Weightlifting and Wrestling – 4 contests

(d) A varsity team must play not less than 60 percent of its regular season contests in the sport against FHSAA member schools.

(e) A varsity team must not take more than one trip per school year in the sport beyond the neighboring states of Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi.