Football Story from Daytona News Journal

Coachog

Sportmanship Editorial:

How do you prevent from scoring 63 points when you have backups in the entire second half, have a continuous running clock, and only throw two passes the entire second half.

Click link and read page A4.

http://daytonanewsjournal.fl.newsmemory.com/?_ga=1.25917309.179909381.1447689699

"Sportsmanship speaking" - For starters, you try to NEVER  throw the ball in the second half with a running clock.  Mainland was up 49-7 at half on New Smyrna Beach.  Went up 56-7 at end of 3.  For whatever reason in the 4th quarter Mainland threw a 37 yard TD pass resulting in the 63-7 final.

Once the running clock is going, the unwritten rule is for the offense to run between Tackles.

Sometimes bad blood or rivalry between teams can definitely alter these  "sportsmanship" philosophies...

Really if they wanted to stop scoring why not just have them punt on first down so they only have them play defense?

Guess all you got to do then is not get any pick 6s or scoop&scores lol

I agree. ....I am not siding with anything here.  I was just explaining how those scenarios are sometimes approached with what some call a "sportsmanship nature."  

Honestly though if you got backups in on their starters how it running the score up, if your backups are better then their starters what you gonna do, play 3rd string?

We discussed this pre-season when Dillard played STA with a similar scenario.  This stuff happens in Broward and Dade on a weekly basis.  We don't write articles on it LOL... I guess we are just used to it.

We discussed this pre-season when Dillard played STA with a similar scenario. This stuff happens in Broward and Dade on a weekly basis. We don't write articles on it LOL... I guess we are just used to it.

It happens up north too

Sometimes no matter how hard they try not to they just can't stop scoring on a team even with backups in

I understand pulling the starters which i understand completely

But if the backups go in and the team still scoring then I place the blame on.the other team.not being able to stop it

If a team consistently has running clocks against opponents, and, as a result has to limit their plays for half or even more of the game, then how does that team work on its offense? You practice all week on various plays and formations and then have to stop perfecting those same plays and formations in a real time scenario. I honestly think that Steve Spurrier had it right. "It's not up to me to stop my offense from scoring. It's up to the opposing team's defense to stop my offense from scoring". Maybe those teams, that have running clocks employed against them, should work harder and smarter so that running clocks are not necessary against their team. I sympathize with the teams that incur running clocks. But, making the better team limit their output will not make the lesser team any better? .    

Broward, I hear what you are saying and the pass was not meant to be a 37 yard td. The pass that was thrown was a tight end pop pass in which the sophomore tight end then broke three tackles and scored. As for throwing the ball, if a team is blitzing both backers up the middle then do you allow their starting linebackers to tee off on your young back-up running back. We threw two passes the second half, the te pop pass and a stop to a receiver. We didn't just come out and sling it deep. If a starting defense can't stop your jv offense then you just take knees and deprive those young kids the chance to play?

Its a tough line to take. Those backups that are now getting a chance are looking to show their coach they have done the right things in practice and can contribute when called upon.

On the other hand the other team now down by 35 or more has a bit of work to do on the mental side of things. Their players must now have pride in themselves to finish the game with the same intensity that they started with.