Mainland over Vanguard (34-12)

Dan in Daytona

First off my credentials as a Mainland Buccaneer Homer. First game I ever saw, Gainesville Purple Hurricanes (QB Eddie McAshan, Ga. Tech) beat Daytona Mainland (RB Touchdown Tommie Durrance, U of FL.) 32-27 (?) in 1967. I started as a runningback/cornerback on a fully integrated Mainland team from 1970-72. Between  2000-2018 I missed only two games (Deltona, Bartram Trail) total home or away.  I bleed Blue and Gold...... The 2023 Buccaneers might be the most "physical team" they have ever had. I witnessed all our Miami Central losses from 2010 onward and this year's Buc team compares "physically" with those great Rocket teams. It also compares favorably with them in getting dumb and unnecessary penalties one after another. We let teams hang around much longer then they should. It hasn't bit us yet this year, but it could. Defense and special teams are first rate. No noticeable weakness anywhere (Good offensive coordinators may say otherwise). My only question mark is the offense. It has been inconsistent at best against the better teams. The O-Line is huge, maybe along with our biggest ever. Running backs are solid, receiving core is improving, and the QB may be the fastest player on the team. So where's the problem ?  I'm a loud mouth know it all and don't have an answer. Something tells me after the "MAINLAND" win Friday night it won't matter what I think.... Buc Forever

Edit : My last sentence was changed. It was a little confusing, sorry  :) 

11 hours ago, Vero Indian said:

We were supposed to play yall in 2018, but don't know we still haven't played yall yet.

Vero, can't say I remember the issue why that game never happened, but we have been down near you a couple times in the regular season to play a good Sebastian River High, and a very good Fort Pierce Central. Mainland always likes to play strong out of area teams during the regular season to challenge itself and prepare for the playoffs. Some strong regular season opponents : Miami Central, American Heritage-Plantation, Cocoa, Jacksonville Bolles, Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna, St Edwards-Ohio, Gwinnett County-Ga., Olive Branch-Mississippi, Madison County, Rockledge, Dr Phillips, Orlando Edgewater, Sanford, Melbourne-Palm Bay, Bartram Trail, Kissimmee-Osceola, etc.  

2 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Vero, can't say I remember the issue why that game never happened, but we have been down near you a couple times in the regular season to play a good Sebastian River High, and a very good Fort Pierce Central. Mainland always likes to play strong out of area teams during the regular season to challenge itself and prepare for the playoffs. Some strong regular season opponents : Miami Central, American Heritage-Plantation, Cocoa, Jacksonville Bolles, Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna, St Edwards-Ohio, Gwinnett County-Ga., Olive Branch-Mississippi, Madison County, Rockledge, Dr Phillips, Orlando Edgewater, Sanford, Melbourne-Palm Bay, Bartram Trail, Kissimmee-Osceola, etc.  

They were supposed to play a spring game in 2018 but got canceled because of graduation being on the same day as the game, game should've got rescheduled.....

Well, that one was a little nerve-wracking. The yellow flags were flying and not a "Jambun" in sight . Make no mistake, the better team won tonight, regardless of all that litter thrown about the playing field. Mainland's defense manhandled Vanguard. They looked DANGEROUS !  And when the Mainland offense was sputtering they still came up with just enough big running plays to let the Ocala team know this wasn't going to be the evening they dreamt about. The Buccaneer's must clean up their propensity for silly and foolish penalties that only let opponents dangerously hang around longer then they should. Let's not give St Augustine any helping hand next week. It's been exactly twenty years (2003) since our first and only state football championship. They can't beat a mistake free Mainland. We're way too strong. Buc Forever. 

4 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Thanks Darter for the moral and the physical support.

Dan, unfortunately I won't be able to make the final as it's at 3pm on Thursday and my appointment is at 4pm that day. So, I can't even watch the majority of it via stream. 

I am not sure why they scheduled this game for that time as I think it would be one of the better attended ones if it were at night and especially if it were Friday or Saturday. 

But then again, nothing the FHSAA usually does makes a whole lot of sense to me. We could also have certainly used a one week break as the schools set for Thursday have no more than a six day break, and in the case of the earliest, about a 5.5 day break.

• Dan in Daytona changed the title to Mainland over Vanguard (34-12)
3 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Dan, unfortunately I won't be able to make the final as it's at 3pm on Thursday and my appointment is at 4pm that day. So, I can't even watch the majority of it via stream. 

I am not sure why they scheduled this game for that time as I think it would be one of the better attended ones if it were at night and especially if it were Friday or Saturday. 

But then again, nothing the FHSAA usually does makes a whole lot of sense to me. We could also have certainly used a one week break as the schools set for Thursday have no more than a six day break, and in the case of the earliest, about a 5.5 day break.

True, I saw some walking wounded tonight. Hopefully there's time to recover for all six teams that play on Thursday December 7th ( a National Holiday ).