Should there be an early signing day for football?

SportsNut25

The short answer is yes, if it is binding on both ends. Provided no one forces the player to sign and he is fully aware of what could potentially happen down the road with coaching changes, I think it provides protection that does not exist now. I have seen too many players who though they were going to school X due to an early commitment on their part ... have that offer yanked late in the process ... and then have to scramble around late in the day ... just before ... or after National Signing Day. An early, official signing period would provide a measure of certainty to that player ... that his offer was a true offer. It would also reduce distractions in his senior year and force college coaches to put their money where their mouths are. 

Yes, there is the possibility that coaching staffs could change, or a bigger, better offer could come down the road to the kid's regret. So, in that sense, early signing would not be for everyone. But for a kid that pretty much knows where he wants to go, I think the benefits far outweigh the detriments. 

I remember one our players a few years ago who offer got dropped less then 24 hours before signing day and it cost him from playing at college all together

Exactly. It would end so called "non commitable" offers. Thus, if Mississippi is fine with me, and they make the offer, and I accept by signing during the designated early period, it is a done deal. The current situation is rife with opportunity for deception on both sides, but usually to the detriment of the more inexperienced party.