3A Thoughts going into Week 2

SPCjessica2004

can't even see it

Columbia high fighting tigers:

669-328-37 record

3 championship appearance

.70 winning seasons

6 undefeated seasons

.20 straight winning seasons (1987-2007)

.12 straight playoff appearances (1993-2004)

.22 straight wins (1930-1933)

66 playoff games played

.20 district championships

.32 playoff seasons

.20 seasons over 10 wins

.40-1-2 record (1931-1934)

.7 regional finals appearances in 9 years (95, 97-99, 01-03)

.32 seasons of clinching playoffs (64', 67', 68', 69', 75',82', 84'-85', 88'-90', 93'-04', 06'-07', 09', 11'-current)

.600+ winning percentage through team history

.9-2 bowl record.

Most Winningest team in north florida history

.Playoff seasons: 64,67,68, 69, 75,82,84,85,88,89,90,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,03,04,06,07,09,11,12,13,14,15,16

.District Championships: 64,67,69,75,82,84,85,88,89,90,93,94,97,98,99,00,03,09,12,15

Regional finals: 67,69,95,97,98,99,01,02,03,12,15

.State appearances: 64,67,97

1967 State Champions Class A

"BrowardHandicapper is secretly a Columbia admirer" -Columbiahighfan ;)

7 hours ago, FORTWHITEFAN76 said:

SPCjessica2004 Also not to knock your top ten I don't see us being Ft white in the top 5 either top ten yes but not 5 not yet hurts me to say that, but love  reading your post and look forward to more of them.

Thanks! It's really the result of many arguments with my loving husband and brother. My brother and I are St. Pete Catholic alumni and my husband is a Orlando public school alumni- he won't let me post about his high school or believe me I'd rip them apart! :-)

Technically, Ft. White is 6. I think what's throwing my rankings off is that I have both Melbourne and Clearwater Central Catholic tied at #2, which I refuse to budge on right now. 

Keep in mind as well, we're going into week 2 and with the weather being downright terrible these are really just my thoughts on rankings. Like the computer polls, they won't really be "correct" (if a poll ever is) for a few more weeks. For now, take solace in the fact that I think you guys are playing well!

One of the things I used to do on another message board is discuss the State AP poll. I've been asked a few times to share some thoughts on it from time to time. It's good message board fodder and gets discussion going. Regardless of what any individual thinks of the AP poll, it's what the newspapers use (Personally, I like Josh's rankings better) and ultimately the guy you sit next to in the stands that doesn't know anything will reference it.

I won't do this every week, but I have some time this morning.

Class 3A

Record Pts Prv
1. Chaminade-Madonna College Prep (10) 0-1 136 1
2. Oxbridge Academy (4) 0-1 135 2
3. Clearwater Central Catholic 1-0 82 NR
4. Melbourne Central Catholic 0-1 83 3
5. Berkeley Prep 0-1 39
4 Others receiving votes: Delray American Heritage 37, Fort White 28, Florida 16, Lakeland Christian 15, Newberry 9, Pensacola Catholic 8, Tampa Catholic 6, Baldwin 6.

I can't really disagree with the poll because it's the accumulation of the state sportswriters opinion. In week 2 it's hard to rank teams, so instead of looking at individual rankings between the plethora of polls available ranking teams- look for consistency instead. The top 7 teams appear in pretty much everybody's polls just in different spots, it's a matter of opinion. Outside of Chaminade-Madonna being #1, everything else is a crapshoot.

Looking at the top 5....

Chaminade is #1 and that's 100% accurate. This is the most talented team and are in a "win-now" mode and playing with a sense of urgency even if it didn't show on the field against Miami Central.  Oxbridge is #2 and I don't disagree with that opinion, they have a highly talented roster that features numerous athletes including star CJ Smith. I'm hoping the Oxbridge vs Flanagan game is streamed on Thursday night- I recall Oxbridge streaming home games.

I'm fairly positive there was a mistake and that CCC should be 4 and MCC 3 since MCC has one more vote than CCC. MCC is a senior loaded team that is my current pick to represent North 3A in Orlando, they're talented, seasoned and will have played a very competitive schedule by the time the playoffs roll around.   CCC was bolstered by last second transfers that compliment their already highly impressive Junior class which will probably end up featuring 6 or 7 major division 1 prospects by the time May 2018 rolls around. Still, it must be nice to be CCC. After Jacob Parks graduated last year and the Marauders are searching for a QB, a 6'4 195lb Junior QB transfer comes in and accounts for 275 yards total offense against Berkeley Prep..seriously, where do they get these guys..

Berkeley Prep has a legendary head coach, 8 major division 1 prospects, highlighted by the #1 offensive tackle in America Nicholas Petite-Frere and 4 star linebacker Jaylen Harrell. They also boast star  QB athlete Joshua Youngblood and 2x 3 star defensive ends, last but not least they have 6'6 WR Zach Mathias and Rb JaVon Cooper.  I think Berkeley Prep is in a position to finish 9-1 this year and if CCC doesn't convert 3 consecutive, 4th and 8's and kick a 37 yard field goal that was tipped on their game winning drive last Saturday could have looked at 10-0.

Ft. White, Newberry and Tampa Catholic all deserve respect. Tampa Catholic, it's worth pointing out is actually ranked above Berkeley Prep and CCC in the Tampa Bay polls (Specturm and Hometeam) based on the strength of their WR's who many feel are only second to Chaminade. Many also feel TC Qb Charlie Dean is already far and away the best QB in 3A.

Overall, it's just too early in the year- but I think there's enough consistency between the poll to identify which teams are going to end up rising to the top come playoff time.

5 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

CLASS 5A

1. American Heritage (Plantation), 1-0, 1
2. Trinity Christian (Jacksonville), 0-1, 2
3. Cardinal Gibbons, 1-0, 3
4. Bolles, 0-0, 6
5. Bishop Moore, 1-0, 8
6. Rickards, 1-0, 7
7. Dunbar, 1-0, 10
8. Ponte Vedra, 1-0, 9
9. Jones, 0-1, 3
10. Palm Bay, 1-0, NR

FIVE ON THE BUBBLE
West Florida, 1-0
Nature Coast, 0-0
Jesuit, 0-1
Clay, 0-1
Belleview, 1-0

IMO I think the FLHS poll went a little rough on Jones falling  @ St. Johns DC .  Jones traveled nearly 1,000 miles up to DC and played generally a national power.  Not a great defensive performance but again , they played the top ranked team out of DC.  

Bartram Trail fell to a weaker team at Douglasville, GA and only dropped 5th to 7th  in 7A with a paper bag defensive performance, while Jones dropped from 3rd to  9th in 5A playing @ a much better team?

If I look closer at this , is it  possible that the FLHS poll may also just feel the depth of 5A is significantly better than 7A right now?...

40 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

CLASS 5A

1. American Heritage (Plantation), 1-0, 1
2. Trinity Christian (Jacksonville), 0-1, 2
3. Cardinal Gibbons, 1-0, 3
4. Bolles, 0-0, 6
5. Bishop Moore, 1-0, 8
6. Rickards, 1-0, 7
7. Dunbar, 1-0, 10
8. Ponte Vedra, 1-0, 9
9. Jones, 0-1, 3
10. Palm Bay, 1-0, NR

FIVE ON THE BUBBLE
West Florida, 1-0
Nature Coast, 0-0
Jesuit, 0-1
Clay, 0-1
Belleview, 1-0

IMO I think the FLHS poll went a little rough on Jones falling  @ St. Johns DC .  Jones traveled nearly 1,000 miles up to DC and played generally a national power.  Not a great defensive performance but again , they played the top ranked team out of DC.  

Bartram Trail fell to a weaker team at Douglasville, GA and only dropped 5th to 7th  in 7A with a paper bag defensive performance, while Jones dropped from 3rd to  9th in 5A playing @ a much better team?

If I look closer at this , is it  possible that the FLHS poll may also just feel the depth of 5A is significantly better than 7A right now?...

We will find out this week if bartram even should be ranked

One thing to win against creekside

Another to beat mainland and after watching bartram play that game my suspicions were correct in my eyes

Bartram offense there with anyone but will have to score 50 and win shootouts to beat good teams and of all 7a north teams they match up the worst of all contenders in 7a north against sta