3A Thoughts going into Week 2

SPCjessica2004

I've received a couple (not many, but a couple) requests asking to update my preseason rankings to post week 1; however, Lakeland Christian hasn't played their week 1 game yet. They're playing Tenoroc tonight at 7pm. I'll update this thread tomorrow after the game has been played. But, here's my  preseason top 10 teams in Class 3A and how they did in week 1:

1) Chaminade-Madonna                 L        Miami Central     48-24
2) Melbourne Central Catholic        L        BuFord (Ga)       34-17
3) Clearwater Central Catholic        W  #5 Berkeley Prep    29-28
4) Oxbridge Academy                     L    Archbishop Wood (PA) 14-13
5) Berkeley Prep (Tampa)              L     #3 CCC                  29-28
6) Newberry                                   W    Santa Fe                 45-14    
7) American Heritage (Del-Ray)     L    Belen Jesuit             34-28
8) Tampa Catholic               DNP-No Makeup vs St. Pete Gibbs
9) Ft. White                                    W  Suwanee                 13-10
10) Lakeland Christian        vs Tenoroc 8/28 7pm Make-up.

Needless to say, the outcome of the Lakeland Christian game is important due to the vast amount of teams that lost above them. Ultimately though, I'm not going to penalize Chaminade or MCC. I don't believe any 3A team would beat Miami Central or BuFord nor do I believe any 3A team would do as good as Chaminade/MCC respectively against those teams. So Chaminade and MCC remain #1 and #2 respectively.

I'm moving CCC into a tie at #2 with MCC, which is fair. I can't penalize MCC for losing, but CCC did beat a ranked Berkeley Prep team on the road and to me beating a ranked team has to carry weight. I'm rewarding Newberry by moving them to #3, this might be too big of a jump- but I'm giving them the nod based on how many teams lost in 3A this week- plus, they play Madison County on Friday. I'm thinking this will work itself out by the 2nd week polls. 

In the name of consistency, I'm not penalizing Oxbridge Academy for losing to a powerhouse in Archbishop Wood from PA. I can't move them up, but I won't drop them either. Oxbridge stays at #4. I'm going to jump Ft. White to #5. I can't reward Tampa Catholic for not playing a game (although this is more Gibbs fault than Tampa Catholic). Lakeland Christian, even with a win over Tenoroc would not crack the top 5, but I could put them at 6. 

So, here's my 3A rankings pre Lakeland Christian vs Tenoroc:

1) Chaminade-Madonna
Tied 2)  Melbourne Central Catholic and Clearwater Central Catholic
3) Newberry
4) Oxbridge Academy
5) Ft. White
6) Tampa Catholic
7) Berkeley Prep
8) American Heritage
9) Tampa Catholic
10) Lakeland Christian

The 4 games I'm really looking at this week:

1) Chaminade-Madonna vs Miramar

The Lions are still the class of 3A, but after being rocked by Miami Central the Lions now for a solid 8A Miramar team who has yet to play a game. The Lions have to be considered the favorite in this one and should bounce back just fine as they look toward match-ups with American Heritage and Bookter T later this year.

2) Tampa Catholic vs Tarpon Springs

Tampa Catholic is going to have some very interesting games over the next few weeks that will keep them in the headlines. This week they play Tarpon Springs, a Pinellas county team that is quickly making headlines due to their offensive prowess and ability on defense to stop teams from running. Tampa Catholic is loaded at the WR position and QB Jacob Dean maybe the best QB in all of 3A. Tampa Catholic doesn't have a lot of depth and for the first time in years I'm shaky on the running back spot even though Jalen Bussey is a fan favorite, but TC has the ability to throw the football 25-30 times a game.

3) Newberry vs Madison County

Two teams ranked in the top 100 in Florida by Maxpreps. Newberry has been a pleasant surprise in 3A thus far. Madison County comes to town this week in a much anticipated game. Madison County has superior depth, but Newberry has a prolific senior QB and a stout running game. Newberry and a highly talented Ft. White team play later this year.

4) American Heritage vs Cardinal Gibbons

Gibbons is a powerhouse and American Heritage is probably looking at 2018 as the year they push for returning to power. That doesn't preclude the Stallions from winning right now, but after last weeks performance against Belen Jesuit, the Stallions probably need another few weeks to get things going. I still think American Heritage is the 2nd best team in Region 4 behind Chaminade.  The Stallions have the talent to compete with Gibbons, but it's probably too much to ask for them to pull the upset.

5) Melbourne Central Catholic vs Palm Beach Central

Due mostly in part to Palm Beach Central upsetting Delray Beach Atlantic last week, this has become an interesting game. I still believe MCC is 2 TD's (or more) better, but I'll be curious to see how the Hustlers handle coming back from Georgia to play a team coming off a major high after pulling an upset last week.

31 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

I've received a couple (not many, but a couple) requests asking to update my preseason rankings to post week 1; however, Lakeland Christian hasn't played their week 1 game yet. They're playing Tenoroc tonight at 7pm. I'll update this thread tomorrow after the game has been played. But, here's my  preseason top 10 teams in Class 3A and how they did in week 1:

1) Chaminade-Madonna                 L        Miami Central     48-24
3) Clearwater Central Catholic        W  #5 Berkeley Prep    29-28
4) Oxbridge Academy                     L    Archbishop Wood (PA) 14-13
5) Berkeley Prep (Tampa)              L     #3 CCC                  29-28
6) Newberry                                   W    Santa Fe                 45-14    
7) American Heritage (Del-Ray)     L    Belen Jesuit             34-28
8) Tampa Catholic               DNP-No Makeup vs St. Pete Gibbs
9) Ft. White                                    W  Suwanee                 13-10
10) Lakeland Christian        vs Tenoroc 8/28 7pm Make-up.

Needless to say, the outcome of the Lakeland Christian game is important due to the vast amount of teams that lost above them. Ultimately though, I'm not going to penalize Chaminade or MCC. I don't believe any 3A team would beat Miami Central or BuFord nor do I believe any 3A team would do as good as Chaminade/MCC respectively against those teams. So Chaminade and MCC remain #1 and #2 respectively.

I'm moving CCC into a tie at #2 with MCC, which is fair. I can't penalize MCC for losing, but CCC did beat a ranked Berkeley Prep team on the road and to me beating a ranked team has to carry weight. I'm rewarding Newberry by moving them to #3, this might be too big of a jump- but I'm giving them the nod based on how many teams lost in 3A this week- plus, they play Madison County on Friday. I'm thinking this will work itself out by the 2nd week polls. 

In the name of consistency, I'm not penalizing Oxbridge Academy for losing to a powerhouse in Archbishop Wood from PA. I can't move them up, but I won't drop them either. Oxbridge stays at #4. I'm going to jump Ft. White to #5. I can't reward Tampa Catholic for not playing a game (although this is more Gibbs fault than Tampa Catholic). Lakeland Christian, even with a win over Tenoroc would not crack the top 5, but I could put them at 6. 

So, here's my 3A rankings pre Lakeland Christian vs Tenoroc:

1) Chaminade-Madonna
Tied 2)  Melbourne Central Catholic and Clearwater Central Catholic
3) Newberry
4) Oxbridge Academy
5) Ft. White
6) Tampa Catholic
7) Berkeley Prep
8) American Heritage
9) Tampa Catholic
10) Lakeland Christian

The 4 games I'm really looking at this week:

1) Chaminade-Madonna vs Miramar

The Lions are still the class of 3A, but after being rocked by Miami Central the Lions now for a solid 8A Miramar team who has yet to play a game. The Lions have to be considered the favorite in this one and should bounce back just fine as they look toward match-ups with American Heritage and Bookter T later this year.

2) Tampa Catholic vs Tarpon Springs

Tampa Catholic is going to have some very interesting games over the next few weeks that will keep them in the headlines. This week they play Tarpon Springs, a Pinellas county team that is quickly making headlines due to their offensive prowess and ability on defense to stop teams from running. Tampa Catholic is loaded at the WR position and QB Jacob Dean maybe the best QB in all of 3A. Tampa Catholic doesn't have a lot of depth and for the first time in years I'm shaky on the running back spot even though Jalen Bussey is a fan favorite, but TC has the ability to throw the football 25-30 times a game.

3) Newberry vs Madison County

Two teams ranked in the top 100 in Florida by Maxpreps. Newberry has been a pleasant surprise in 3A thus far. Madison County comes to town this week in a much anticipated game. Madison County has superior depth, but Newberry has a prolific senior QB and a stout running game. Newberry and a highly talented Ft. White team play later this year.

4) American Heritage vs Cardinal Gibbons

Gibbons is a powerhouse and American Heritage is probably looking at 2018 as the year they push for returning to power. That doesn't preclude the Stallions from winning right now, but after last weeks performance against Belen Jesuit, the Stallions probably need another few weeks to get things going. I still think American Heritage is the 2nd best team in Region 4 behind Chaminade.  The Stallions have the talent to compete with Gibbons, but it's probably too much to ask for them to pull the upset.

5) Melbourne Central Catholic vs Palm Beach Central

Due mostly in part to Palm Beach Central upsetting Delray Beach Atlantic last week, this has become an interesting game. I still believe MCC is 2 TD's (or more) better, but I'll be curious to see how the Hustlers handle coming back from Georgia to play a team coming off a major high after pulling an upset last week.

Those some interesting games there

I'll start with first 1

Chaminade Madonna vs Miramar 

Chaminade is again playing a very talented big school team and a team who will test them, sure Chaminade isn't going to be broken with a loss here but this being their best shot at winning state they need to win some of these games,  they can't afford to keep losing, every loss is hurting their confidence so for them to get to 100% mentally they need a win over some of these teams they scheduled, I'll give Chaminade a 6 point win right now but they need to get a move on and start showing how deep They are after the big expectations from the off season 

Game 2

Tampa Catholic vs tarpon springs

I like Tampa Catholic getting the win here

Game 3

newberry vs madison

I like newberry in a upset here against Madison, they have lost to Madison a bit lately but they come back and surprise them, could be wrong but thats pick I'm making 

Game 4

American heritage vs cardinal gibbons 

Now I'm sure cardinal gibbons wants the other American heritage far more but they start with Delray one before getting ready later in year for the plantation one,  coming off beating Southridge i see cardinal gibbons pulling a win here on a good American heritage  team

Game 5

Melbourne Central Catholic vs Palm Beach Central 

Coming off beating 8a favorite (at the time) Atlantic, Palm Beach Central will have momentum going into this game and i see the surprise coming again,  palm Beach Central in upset here over talented MCC team 

8 minutes ago, MuckCityChamp said:

How does Tampa Catholic not playing that game affect the point system?

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Means when divide at end of year they divide by 9 instead of 10

Tampa Catholic has a tight rope to walk going forward. Their original bye week was 9/22, but they're playing a major rivalry game against a loaded Berkeley Prep team on Thursday 9/28 as it will be televised.  So, TC could play a 10th game on Friday 9/22 if there's somebody willing to play them.

Good read SPCjessica2004, I agree with most of the analysis.  To me though Oxbridge's 1 point loss is more impressive then  Newberry's win over Santa Fe, so I would still have Oxbridge over Newberry.  Newberry beat's Madison this week and then I can relate to Newberry over Oxbridge a little better.

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Those some interesting games there

I'll start with first 1

Chaminade Madonna vs Miramar 

Chaminade is again playing a very talented big school team and a team who will test them, sure Chaminade isn't going to be broken with a loss here but this being their best shot at winning state they need to win some of these games,  they can't afford to keep losing, every loss is hurting their confidence so for them to get to 100% mentally they need a win over some of these teams they scheduled, I'll give Chaminade a 6 point win right now but they need to get a move on and start showing how deep They are after the big expectations from the off season 

Game 2

Tampa Catholic vs tarpon springs

I like Tampa Catholic getting the win here

Game 3

newberry vs madison

I like newberry in a upset here against Madison, they have lost to Madison a bit lately but they come back and surprise them, could be wrong but thats pick I'm making 

Game 4

American heritage vs cardinal gibbons 

Now I'm sure cardinal gibbons wants the other American heritage far more but they start with Delray one before getting ready later in year for the plantation one,  coming off beating Southridge i see cardinal gibbons pulling a win here on a good American heritage  team

Game 5

Melbourne Central Catholic vs Palm Beach Central 

Coming off beating 8a favorite (at the time) Atlantic, Palm Beach Central will have momentum going into this game and i see the surprise coming again,  palm Beach Central in upset here over talented MCC team 

Ummmmm even tho if they lose to Miramar , I don't think they will lose confidence.

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Good read SPCjessica2004, I agree with most of the analysis.  To me though Oxbridge's 1 point loss is more impressive then  Newberry's win over Santa Fe, so I would still have Oxbridge over Newberry.  Newberry beat's Madison this week and then I can relate to Newberry over Oxbridge a little better.

Broward,

You're correct, which is why I commented I may of jumped them too high. Ultimately, with Newberry vs Madison County this week I figured I'd give Newberry the benefit of the doubt. There's quite a few key games in week 2 as we've seen so far.

As loaded as Buford is, I'm Ok with MCC going into Georgia and putting 17 on Buford. Could have been better if the score was closer, but it is what it is. I think BTW or even AHP would have their hands full with Buford.

12 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

As loaded as Buford is, I'm Ok with MCC going into Georgia and putting 17 on Buford. Could have been better if the score was closer, but it is what it is. I think BTW or even AHP would have their hands full with Buford.

Cat_Scratch,

I don't think MCC has anything to feel bad about. I think they performed as good as or slightly better than expected. That's why I can't knock them down. I don't think anybody (maybe Chaminade, but they're already ranked #1) in 3A would do as good as the Hustlers did in that game. 

I really like MCC's game this week, curious how it turns out!

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yes 

Say you are a fighter and you take every top contender then lose 

Are you really gaining confidence from it?  But different case if you win 1 or 2 of those fights

Well I can put it this way. When The FAMU or Citadal ,and all the D1 AA school go play the Bamas and MIami and FSU of the world and get smash 70-0, you think their confidence are ruined? Btw your signature is long as hell. Had to straight cut that short lol.

11 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

Well I can put it this way. When The FAMU or Citadal ,and all the D1 AA school go play the Bamas and MIami and FSU of the world and get smash 70-0, you think their confidence are ruined? Btw your signature is long as hell. Had to straight cut that short lol.

I can't even see it