Norland at Apopka

DarterBlue2

I saw a really good half of football between two quality teams. No, it was not a perfect half. Both teams made mistakes and combined, committed a fair number of penalties. However, it was a very competitive game between two good teams. Apopka's defense held Norland in the red zone three out of the four times Norland got there, including a forced Norland fumble at the two yard line. Norland failed to hold Apopka in the red zone the two times they got there. That, right there was the difference in the game.

The score at the half was Apopka 14 Norland 6. Then the rain, thunder and lightening came. It was about 8:30 when this happened. By the time it cleared up to the point where the game could have been resumed, it was close to 10:30. I don't know this for sure (thus I could be wrong), but I believe Norland declined to resume at that time. While I was disappointed, I can totally understand as if they had, the game would have probably ended close to midnight. To hit the road for North Dade County that late would have meant getting back to the school after 3 am. Given that this is a team of high school students, many of whom are under 18, I can totally understand why Norland's staff may have declined. As of now, I believe they are going to try and work on getting the second half of football in sometime in the future. Not sure if this will happen given the distance involved. I suppose if both teams have the same bye week it would be feasible. It's a pity, though. This was the best half of high school football, in terms of competitiveness, I have seen live since the state series last December, where a few of the games were quite competitive and entertaining. 

Norland's quarterback is a good runner. Not particularly fast, but he is a load to bring down and on one play faked the perfect hand off, but kept the ball for a 45+ yard run before being brought down at the Apopka 5. Aside from him burning us with his legs, the Norland running game was non existent as the running backs had negative yards. In the air their QB completed a couple good passes, but other pass plays were defended very well by the Apopka secondary. Apopka's Jacoryan Davis-Hamilton had a very good half rushing for over 100 yards and accounting for both Apopka touchdowns. I think he is justifying the Miami offer made to him on the basis of the spring game. 

I am not predicting that Norland will beat the big three in 6A 16. However, I would be surprised if they are not competitive against them. If they are not, then MC, MNW and CC are truly on another level. 

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I saw a really good half of football between two quality teams. No, it was not a perfect half. Both teams made mistakes and combined, committed a fair number of penalties. However, it was a very competitive game between two good teams. Apopka's defense held Norland in the red zone three out of the four times Norland got there, including a forced Norland fumble at the two yard line. Norland failed to hold Apopka in the red zone the two times they got there. That, right there was the difference in the game.

The score at the half was Apopka 14 Norland 6. Then the rain, thunder and lightening came. It was about 8:30 when this happened. By the time it cleared up to the point where the game could have been resumed, it was close to 10:30. I don't know this for sure (thus I could be wrong), but I believe Norland declined to resume at that time. While I was disappointed, I can totally understand as if they had, the game would have probably ended close to midnight. To hit the road for North Dade County that late would have meant getting back to the school after 3 am. Given that this is a team of high school students, many of whom are under 18, I can totally understand why Norland's staff may have declined. As of now, I believe they are going to try and work on getting the second half of football in sometime in the future. Not sure if this will happen given the distance involved. I suppose if both teams have the same bye week it would be feasible. It's a pity, though. This was the best half of high school football, in terms of competitiveness, I have seen live since the state series last December, where a few of the games were quite competitive and entertaining. 

Norland's quarterback is a good runner. Not particularly fast, but he is a load to bring down and on one play faked the perfect hand off, but kept the ball for a 45+ yard run before being brought down at the Apopka 5. Aside from him burning us with his legs, the Norland running game was non existent as the running backs had negative yards. In the air their QB completed a couple good passes, but other pass plays were defended very well by the Apopka secondary. Apopka's Jacoryan Davis-Hamilton had a very good half rushing for over 100 yards and accounting for both Apopka touchdowns. I think he is justifying the Miami offer made to him on the basis of the spring game. 

I am not predicting that Norland will beat the big three in 6A 16. However, I would be surprised if they are not competitive against them. If they are not, then MC, MNW and CC are truly on another level. 

I don't think Norland or anyome else in that district as good as northwestern this year but Norland might have shot at upsetting the other 2

Good win/half win for apopka 

6 minutes ago, Tumai Lu said:

DarterBlue - Norland did refuse. Only, they didn't go home last night. They also refused to finish today. They were going to Disney. They also said they were hungry. Apopka was ready to resume and Norland refused. 

If that is the case, then Apopka should win by forfeit since a half was completed. If Norland intended to make a Disney trip of their road game, then there is no excuse for not finishing the game last night. They could have called the hotel and to confirm their reservations. And, if they thought the field was not game worthy last night, they could have finished it this morning and then gone on to Disney right after. 

59 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If that is the case, then Apopka should win by forfeit since a half was completed. If Norland intended to make a Disney trip of their road game, then there is no excuse for not finishing the game last night. They could have called the hotel and to confirm their reservations. And, if they thought the field was not game worthy last night, they could have finished it this morning and then gone on to Disney right after. 

I agree with you. The FHSAA does not, apparently.

10 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

If that is true, that is embarrassing...Let's take a trip to Orlando, go to Disney , eat at Golden Corral and show up for a half of a football game if it doesn't interfere with Disney and dinner....

Not to mention it's a slap in the face of a program like apopka who actually was ready to go finish the game but Norland too busy sightseeing to finish up the game,  apopka should drop them and find someone else for next year since Norland not taking it seriously enough

I don't think we should jump to conclusions over this. The Orlando Sentinel write-up of the game was done by the editor of the Apopka Chief. He did not mention in his piece that this is what Norland's administrators/coaches did. If, indeed, that is what their coaches and administrators decided, then that would be a bad thing. However, if so, then JP should have put this in his write-up which enjoys a lot more credibility than posts on a message board where the sources are anonymous. 

Just saying we should hold off on any judgment till the facts become clear.  The Norland team certainly came to play and I am pretty sure wanted to finish the game. If they were prevented from doing so by adults associated with the program, that was unfortunate. 

In general, there should be a set standard for when a game is called as final. Perhaps after three quarters when a certain amount of time has elapsed (say 1.5 hours). For as it is, several games in Orlando were called as final after two quarters or more and in at least one case, Olympia vs Ocoee, with only a touchdown separating the two teams. I suppose in these instances, both sides agreed to the existing result.

Given the new points format where all games count, I think establishing uniform rules across the state of Florida are necessary. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tumai Lu said:

JP's not going to put something like that in the paper.

You can doubt me if you wish. You can "reserve judgement" if you want.

I can only repeat,  I know a guy.

Whatever happened, happened. Apopka got the win. So at this stage it does not matter anymore. If Norland was stupid enough to sacrifice points when they still had a realistic chance to comeback and win the game, and if this is what separates them from the playoffs, then they got what they deserved. 

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Whatever happened, happened. Apopka got the win. So at this stage it does not matter anymore. If Norland was stupid enough to sacrifice points when they still had a realistic chance to comeback and win the game, and if this is what separates them from the playoffs, then they got what they deserved. 

They currently 7th seed so as long as they win out minus maybe the northwestern game they will get in playoffs