Mainland at Dr. Phillips

badbird

I will start a thread for this Central Florida match up.  Mainland has beat DP by 21 points the last two years.  Both are two of the top programs in Central Florida. Mainland is currently ranked 35 by max preps and DP is ranked 15.  Both teams have been inconsistent at times early in the season but both have shown promise to make a deep run in the playoffs.  Offensively Mainland has struggled at times.  A lack of a true running threat allows teams to pin their ears back vs a much less mobile QB than Mainland has had in the past.  If Mainland can protect the QB they can move the ball but if they can't keep him upright their offensive struggles will continue.  Defensively Mainland has to fix it's secondary on defense as they have given up a few long passes.  I don't think DP has a lot of deep threat receivers but the QB BeSean McCray does a great job of finding the open guy and getting the ball out of his hands quickly.  I think Mainland wins the LOS on defense so DP will have to throw to open up their running game. DP's defense hasn't been as impressive as they have been the last couple of years.  Depth is a major concern for them.  Both of these teams in the past usually get lots of penalties.  I think penalties could play a huge factor in the game.  Second or third and long is going to make it really difficult to convert vs both defenses.  Which team can cut down on penalties and not put themselves in a bad position?  I'll go with the home team in a game that comes down to the wire.  DP 24 Mainland 21

other games in Central Florida that are noteworthy

Rockledge at Osceola, OC  University at Lake Brantley and Wekiva at Olympia

1 hour ago, badbird said:

I will start a thread for this Central Florida match up.  Mainland has beat DP by 21 points the last two years.  Both are two of the top programs in Central Florida. Mainland is currently ranked 35 by max preps and DP is ranked 15.  Both teams have been inconsistent at times early in the season but both have shown promise to make a deep run in the playoffs.  Offensively Mainland has struggled at times.  A lack of a true running threat allows teams to pin their ears back vs a much less mobile QB than Mainland has had in the past.  If Mainland can protect the QB they can move the ball but if they can't keep him upright their offensive struggles will continue.  Defensively Mainland has to fix it's secondary on defense as they have given up a few long passes.  I don't think DP has a lot of deep threat receivers but the QB BeSean McCray does a great job of finding the open guy and getting the ball out of his hands quickly.  I think Mainland wins the LOS on defense so DP will have to throw to open up their running game. DP's defense hasn't been as impressive as they have been the last couple of years.  Depth is a major concern for them.  Both of these teams in the past usually get lots of penalties.  I think penalties could play a huge factor in the game.  Second or third and long is going to make it really difficult to convert vs both defenses.  Which team can cut down on penalties and not put themselves in a bad position?  I'll go with the home team in a game that comes down to the wire.  DP 24 Mainland 21

other games in Central Florida that are noteworthy

Rockledge at Osceola, OC  University at Lake Brantley and Wekiva at Olympia

Damn badbird, I couldn't have said it better. You and Darter know Mainland. I will add, if the Bucs play to their potential it's another 20+ point victory. Although that Mainland team hasn't been spotted in quite some time it is still possible. It is also possible the reverse may occur. Should be a good one. The last couple of years DP looked defeated before the game started. Like they knew they were going to lose. 

12 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Is Mainland 24, Pine Ridge 21 a real final score? Saw it on Maxpreps

Game hasn't been rescheduled yet, if ever. Remember the FHSAA hired Maxpreps to improve errors in team schedules and results over that C2 ?? something business they partnered with over the last few years. 

DP was the better team. They didn't appear to be as good as last years squad, but there's still a long way to go and plenty of time for improvement. Like always they have plenty of athletes. And for a change they were better on the field then Mainland's. They broke tackles, out ran the Buc's to the outside, and threw passes for first down all night long. They probably should've had a couply more scores. I'm disappointed in the results, but can't say it's a surprise. Saw some things over the summer that reminded me of some Buc teams from 8 to 10 years ago. Plenty of talent, but staff can't pull it all together. The X's and O's aren't playing to the strengths of the Jimmy's and Joe's. Over the last few years Denzel Houston's amazing athletic accomplishments masked some of these issues. From 30 rows up they aren't hidden anymore. Let's face it, Mainland's district is horrendous. Seabreeze, Pine Ridge, NSB, Deltona, and Mantanzas won't currently put fear in any playoff worthy team. Consequently, Mainland's a lock for a 24th straight berth in the championship tournament. At the moment anything other then a one and done seems remote. But hey, what the hell do I know after 200+ Mainland games in a row. Shock me Buccaneers. Make this old man cry with joy. Or better yet, make him apologize and shut the "F" up.