POLL: Which platform are you likely to watch a live video stream through?

Joshua Wilson

Which platform are you likely to watch a live video stream through?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform are you likely to watch a live video stream through?

• Twitter/Periscope (You can watch Periscope videos on Twitter without having the Periscope app)
    • Facebook Live
    • YouTube

Exploring some LIVE streaming options for the FloridaHSFootball.com Shows.

Those options include Twitter/Periscope, Facebook LIVE and YouTube.

I will describe the advantage/disadvantages here... 

Twitter/Periscope and YouTube I can send one feed out and will stream instantly on without issue. That means I can embed the YouTube player on to a page on FloridaHSFootball.com for those browsing the site, while Twitter/Periscope allows people tap into the video the moment it goes LIVE.

However, I cannot send that same signal to Facebook LIVE without shutting down the feed going to Twitter/Periscope and YouTube. Apparently, Facebook is so afraid of competition that they don't want Twitter to access the same feed. There is a workaround that is supposed to work, but is not working on my end trying to set it up. 

So I want to know what your thoughts are about LIVE streaming video and which platform you are most likely to watch/listen on. So please vote in the poll and share your thoughts here.

6 minutes ago, Joshua Wilson said:

Exploring some LIVE streaming options for the FloridaHSFootball.com Shows.

Those options include Twitter/Periscope, Facebook LIVE and YouTube.

I will describe the advantage/disadvantages here... 

Twitter/Periscope and YouTube I can send one feed out and will stream instantly on without issue. That means I can embed the YouTube player on to a page on FloridaHSFootball.com for those browsing the site, while Twitter/Periscope allows people tap into the video the moment it goes LIVE.

However, I cannot send that same signal to Facebook LIVE without shutting down the feed going to Twitter/Periscope and YouTube. Apparently, Facebook is so afraid of competition that they don't want Twitter to access the same feed. There is a workaround that is supposed to work, but is not working on my end trying to set it up. 

So I want to know what your thoughts are about LIVE streaming video and which platform you are most likely to watch/listen on. So please vote in the poll and share your thoughts here.

Well i have some experience with periscope/twitter live from when i been live streaming Columbia games this year and i noticed you don't even have to have twitter to watch it,  just the link so it probably would give more access then facebook  live but I'm not sure how the YouTube does 

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well i have some experience with periscope/twitter live from when i been live streaming Columbia games this year and i noticed you don't even have to have twitter to watch it,  just the link so it probably would give more access then twitter live but I'm not sure how the YouTube does 

No, you don't have to have Twitter to watch it indeed. Plus you can watch the video LIVE inside Twitter and people seem to respond to it quicker. All platforms save the video for watching. YouTube would help provide an archive. 

3 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Just my two cents...Seen plenty of quality streams through Facebook and Youtube.  I have never seen a quality stream through Periscope.

A quality stream can be done through Periscope now using their Producer platform. You would be quite surprised what I have seen done with it. 

To me, Youtube seems to provide a more professional 'feeling' platform, and I like the archiving feature. I'm able to watch it on my phone, my computer, or in my home theater.

I don't know that I have ever watched a twitter/periscope feed that wasn't glitchy, even if the quality of the picture was decent.

I can't comment on Facebook as I rarely use it.

2 hours ago, gwdrum75 said:

To me, Youtube seems to provide a more professional 'feeling' platform, and I like the archiving feature. I'm able to watch it on my phone, my computer, or in my home theater.

I don't know that I have ever watched a twitter/periscope feed that wasn't glitchy, even if the quality of the picture was decent.

I can't comment on Facebook as I rarely use it.

If it is professionally done or even semi professional on Periscope it can make wonders. A lot of the glitchy you speak about is from where you are using the app on your phone and I will agree that can happen. I think doing a combine stream out that allows for both the same signal to go to Periscope/Twitter and YouTube are my best bets.

Always watched on YouTube not sure if available on Twitter or Facebook but it’s nice to rewind on YT and rewatch big plays. Also on YT it’s nice pulling up the app on my smart TV or Amazon Fire, Roku, etc and stream live games on my big screen. My 2 cents.

19 hours ago, Trelle said:

Always watched on YouTube not sure if available on Twitter or Facebook but it’s nice to rewind on YT and rewatch big plays. Also on YT it’s nice pulling up the app on my smart TV or Amazon Fire, Roku, etc and stream live games on my big screen. My 2 cents.

Trelle,  Totally understand where you are coming from. I think with the YouTube platform, it allows us to put it on our site directly making things easier instead of jumping through more holes. Like I said earlier, Periscope/Twitter and YouTube are likely the platforms we will go with here.